When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

What's happening now is what I expected to start happening in a couple of weeks time, once the initial rush and excitement of freedom day wore off. That at that point we might have some pubs and cafes reintroduce distancing and masking measures to encourage the vast swathes of society hiding away to go to them.

One of the bars we operate in has done exactly this. Advertised themselves as a safe place where there will still be rules.

They’ll undoubtedly keep more customers this way and the support on social media has been overwhelming.

The flip side is there are plenty of places that are the opposite. Keeping restrictions would do the opposite. Depends on your customer base I guess.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Same mates the other week you said weren't following the rules and where going to the pub ?   

You lie so much on here.

Big difference between not following social distancing rules between a group of friends and entering a packed out pub with 150+ strangers with cases rabid.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

This is great news.  I think people can't look beyond case numbers.  We really need them to fall to help people feel confident and less fearful.

Agreed. I dont believe them to be anywhere near as important as they were pre vaccine but them lowering will help the more fearful people.

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You don't tackle fear though by being fearful.  We should be pushing the message that the vaccine protects more than a mask (it does), that if you are doubled jabbed you are probably at worse going to get bad cold, that we can go out and live life.  Not what is currently happening.

I don't blame people for being fearful at the moment to be honest because the message is currently one of fear.  And its all politics, its all behavioural management, and its all toxic in my opinion.

I think the problem with messaging on the vaccine at the moment is it's a bit of a Catch-22. If the messaging becomes "get double jabbed, it's the only way to be safe" you hit the problem that with the current 8-week gap between doses, if I've ignored the vaccine up until now that's 10 weeks until I'm at full effectiveness, even I go today. Then lots of people in their 30s who are still waiting for second jabs even if they got their first ASAP. And realistically, if you want full pubs and nightclubs and cafes... those are the people you need to be confident. I think we might be downplaying the vaccine because the most socially active people haven't had a chance to get it yet. But if they feel confident in a mask... well they don't have to wait 8 weeks to get one of those.

They can't really scaremonger using the vaccine until it's quick and easy for everyone to get it. And we need that 4 week gap approving now.

6 minutes ago, Havors said:

Northwest and Yorkshire... (the first hit by Delta I think) are likely going to peak very soon and drop. Barring any spike from the semis/final of the Euros. 

How long do we think the rest of the country is behind - if i remember correctly it was about 2W after NW that it started to rise elsewhere. If so, we hope to peak around 1st August (with euros baked in to this peak so no additonal spike). Then hopefully with vaccines in place its a steep decline back to "minimal" levels around end of august - at this time we should be around 80% adults fully vaccinated, and fingers crossed with no scariants we will just have the "humm" around in the background 

5 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

One of the bars we operate in has done exactly this. Advertised themselves as a safe place where there will still be rules.

They’ll undoubtedly keep more customers this way and the support on social media has been overwhelming.

The flip side is there are plenty of places that are the opposite. Keeping restrictions would do the opposite. Depends on your customer base I guess.

Saw a comedy gig the other night that was offering a choice between regular seating on one side of the room and socially distanced seating on the other. Was a clever approach.

(And my name is in my username and I don't think there's many UK enthusiasts with the same first name...)

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Saw a comedy gig the other night that was offering a choice between regular seating on one side of the room and socially distanced seating on the other. Was a clever approach.

(And my name is in my username and I don't think there's many UK enthusiasts with the same first name...)

The penny has dropped! Hello Dean, hope you’re keeping safe 😀

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, phimill said:

How long do we think the rest of the country is behind - if i remember correctly it was about 2W after NW that it started to rise elsewhere. If so, we hope to peak around 1st August (with euros baked in to this peak so no additonal spike). Then hopefully with vaccines in place its a steep decline back to "minimal" levels around end of august - at this time we should be around 80% adults fully vaccinated, and fingers crossed with no scariants we will just have the "humm" around in the background 

Think the biggest rises were in the NE recently and London & those ways are starting to drive the rise. If the NW and Yorkshire peak and drop very soon it brilliant news as the rest of the country will likely follow that pattern.  Fingers crossed! 

31 minutes ago, Havors said:

Those people that sit at home can contribute the economy just as they always have done then cant they? No? We don't need to hold back everyone who contributes by going out to do that genius. 

Oh wind it in you petty little virtue signaler with your logical fallacies. They wont work on me. I care plenty and have never said otherwise! Ta ta! 

Havors - aka 'I'm alright Jack' who thinks people who are not him are irrelevant.

Selfish, thoughtless and generally spiteful.

Too many of that sort around - and a fair few on here.

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

It was the over selling of fear that a sub 50 year old should have about catching covid as well.  We have scared 20s, 30s and 40 year olds beyond what was sensible in my view.

As a healthy 40 year old my risk from covid was tiny - that's a fact - yet the messaging didn't match this in an attempt at controlling people.  We now have a problem that even single jabbed 20 year olds are fearful.

Perhaps - it sort of comes down to the risk assessment you were talking about earlier though. I'm one of those lazy middle-class work-from-home w*nkers right. I have no kids so I don't have to worry about term times or any of that. I'm being told that there's something quite unpleasant out there, but it's fine because with even one jab I'm not going to die, probably won't end up in hospital, maybe just in bed for a few weeks with flu is the worst. Probably just feeling grim and out of breath for a week.

And this is just a wave of cases, it'll plateau and then start to drop... okay, then, well I'll just save my leave until Sept/Oct and go out then once this wave is done. There's no rush. Gigs and festivals might tempt me but... oh they've mostly cancelled. I have a mate's wedding, obviously I'll go to that as it's important, but the rest, I can see friends at home, when the weather is nice in the park. The draw of a pub just isn't there. 

The risk calculation for me is, with a few exceptions (like the aforementioned wedding) I'm probably better staying in. Let other people get sick and get the wave out the way. Book more stuff for later in the year instead. Possibly even be allowed to go on holiday abroad by then!

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

Disgusting. Why should covid patients be prioritised over people who need a liver transplant? 

Nightingales are sounding like a great idea right now for anyone unlikely to need critical care. Shame we don't have enough nurses and doctors to staff them..

26 minutes ago, phimill said:

have to take into account that cases might increase once more restrictions eased next Monday.

33 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

It was the over selling of fear that a sub 50 year old should have about catching covid as well.  We have scared 20s, 30s and 40 year olds beyond what was sensible in my view.

As a healthy 40 year old my risk from covid was tiny - that's a fact - yet the messaging didn't match this in an attempt at controlling people.  We now have a problem that even single jabbed 20 year olds are fearful.

Theres a virus going around thats extremely tranmissable and can knock you on your ass for a week if not more.

No shit people don't want to catch it, in the middle of summer...... Even if it poses no lethal risk.

I don't generally like being ill, do you?

On a personal level, I don't equate 'it's not going to kill you' to - 'its totally fine to catch it'....

Edited by MrBarry465

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

A good reply to prove my point.

I don't know what your point is.

'It's not lethal if you are under 50, therefore stop worrying?'

It's stupid, people don't like being sick full stop. So the level of fear is totally understandable given the circumstance.

11 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Nightingales are sounding like a great idea right now for anyone unlikely to need critical care. Shame we don't have enough nurses and doctors to staff them..

14 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Disgusting. Why should covid patients be prioritised over people who need a liver transplant? 

I guess it's why we need to try and stop cases getting too high.

2 of the guys I was watching the football with sunday are symptomatic and tested positive, I had sore throat and fever yesterday, tested negative on 2 lateral flow tests, sent off for pcr.

Fever was getting bad last night so eventually had a lemsip, and I've been gold ever since. It truly is the elixir of life. 

Mid twenties and never known so many people to actually have the virus, don't know anyone who hasn't been able to manage it / not be fine in a couple days though

Edited by Gacheezbo

21 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

That’s what the army are for. Use the actual doctors for cancer care, liver transplants and the like and then let the army run the nightingales.