When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, BobWillis2 said:

Fake SAGE constantly change what they’re most annoyed about or what the one big reason we shouldn’t end restrictions. 

Long covid. Schools. The vulnerable. Variants. Herd immunity. Blah blah blah

Today it’s duration of stay in hospital. 

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

you test because you need to act early if cases start to get really high. As WHO said, Test, Test, Test. But once we're through this last wave (hopefully last wave), and the vaccinations are done...then yeah, I guess no need to do so much of it.

Plus consistency in testing allows you to see the impact changes have… though I guess arguably you could say policy changes might make people more or less likely to task a test!

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

With this level of concern, the economy will suffer and yet again the reasons why unlocking is wanted by the Tories fails them.

Will they ever learn? I doubt it.

Chart title: A majority of people are worried about the lifting of rules in England

Go the pubs after July 19th and see for yourself how worried people are. Going by the way the bars have been since May 17th people mostly don't give a fuck. The economy will jump again post 19th. 

2 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

This is the policy we have at my escape room business. We allow people to take them off once they begin their game and the hosts have left the room.

If someone doesn’t want to wear one… then they don’t get to come in.

“We are delighted that the UK's Covid vaccination drive has been so effective. However, at this stage not all of our staff have received full protection.

To ensure both their safety and the safety of visitors in this time of transition, we request that all guests continue to wear a mask or face covering whilst in the presence of our hosts.

Adhering to this rule will be a condition of entry and if you do not arrive with a mask, one will be provided for you. If you have any questions about this or your booking please get in touch”

Whereabouts if you don't mind me asking? I managed a grand total of 3 escape rooms last year which is a bit down on my annual average of 100... they were doing a bang-up job on disinfecting everything between games. Apparently alcohol gel destroys locks over time!

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

So we are not respecting personal choice as the PM said we would a few weeks ago.  So what's the point in the future we do I suppose is the next question?  

It's cute you thought the Tories meant personal choices of individuals and not businesses!

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

Go the pubs after July 19th and see for yourself how worried people are. Going by the way the bars have been since May 17th people mostly don't give a fuck. The economy will jump again post 19th. 

I have zero desire to go to any pub, I have seen the idiots in the recently as I walk by - but the numbers in them are small and many regulars I know round here are not going back.

They may look busy but it will not last long and they will not be like they were before.

Also, pubs are not the entire economy, just one small part but of course the economy will jump as they compare month by month. So come October is when we will get the first real idea as they compare September to August.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

With this level of concern, the economy will suffer and yet again the reasons why unlocking is wanted by the Tories fails them.

Will they ever learn? I doubt it.

Chart title: A majority of people are worried about the lifting of rules in England

I mean, I probably would have said ‘somewhat worried’ in answer to that question, because there remains a chance it could all go tits up. But that doesn’t mean I don’t think it should happen, or that I won’t be taking advantage of the ability to go to clubs and festivals myself.

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I have zero desire to go to any pub, I have seen the idiots in the recently as I walk by - but the numbers in them are small and many regulars I know round here are not going back.

They may look busy but it will not last long and they will not be like they were before.

Also, pubs are not the entire economy, just one small part but of course the economy will jump as they compare month by month. So come October is when we will get the first real idea as they compare September to August.

Well thank fuck I dont live where you live. Sounds boring as fuck 🙂 

1 minute ago, sjseabass said:

I mean, I probably would have said ‘somewhat worried’ in answer to that question, because there remains a chance it could all go tits up. But that doesn’t mean I don’t think it should happen, or that I won’t be taking advantage of the ability to go to clubs and festivals myself.

Yep agreed, again it’s a poll with a leading question. Worried about what exactly? Your health? Your families health? Your job? Could be anything. 

1 minute ago, Havors said:

But they are full and heaving! That is all that matters. People that only sit at home anyway are irrelevant. 

You do know that people that sit at home also contribute to the economy?

Please don't bother replying though as I really cannot be bothered to talk to someone who could not care less about others who do not share their own ideals.

Any way, I am off to a festival now so ta ta
Have fun in your heaving pub

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Please don't bother replying though as I really cannot be bothered to talk to someone who could not care less about others who do not share their own ideals.

Have fun. Very jealous. Weather looks a bit shit though. 🙂

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Whereabouts if you don't mind me asking? I managed a grand total of 3 escape rooms last year which is a bit down on my annual average of 100... they were doing a bang-up job on disinfecting everything between games. Apparently alcohol gel destroys locks over time!

Brighton. It’s called Bewilder Box.

Yeah it’s a blooming nightmare keeping everything clean. But needs must 🙂

Those people that sit at home can contribute the economy just as they always have done then cant they? No? We don't need to hold back everyone who contributes by going out to do that genius. 

Oh wind it in you petty little virtue signaler with your logical fallacies. They wont work on me. I care plenty and have never said otherwise! Ta ta! 

• Upvote 2

I think we're conflating two things in this discussion at the moment. First there's the medical issue. Cases are going up, will continue to go up, and then they'll reach a peak and come back down. We should hit that peak in the next few weeks, and if we do all is fine. If we don't, and cases continue to keep going up (and so do hospitalisations at the same rate) we will be back in full lockdown, unavoidably. But that probably won't happen. It's not what the science points to. The only problem there is the case numbers being as high as they are now is also not what the science points to. So y'know, we should be okay until the scientists have it catastrophically wrong.

The second issue is the one I've gone on and on about for the past few months, and that's hesitancy. You can drop the rules all you want but if people don't feel comfortable going out they won't go out and that's a problem. A lot of people have harped on for a long time about how we should drop all the rules, and let people do what they want. The worried can stay in, the rest of them can get "back to normal". They've said that confident in the knowledge that 90% of people are on the same page they are, and the other 10% are introvert fake-SAGE weirdos. That the reason pubs aren't full is because people don't like table service, wearing masks to the loo, or having to book in advance. That Latitude isn't sold out because it's quite hard to get to. 

I was actually starting to believe that, given the level of confidence they seemed to have in this belief, hell, you'll have seen me making posts going "yeah but even if we're just 10% that can have a big impacts on gigs, etc.". But no - turns out the cautious people were in the majority all along. Turns out when you tell people "yeah there will be an exit wave but you probably won't die" a lot people go "oh cool, I'll just wait until the exit wave is done then".

What's happening now is what I expected to start happening in a couple of weeks time, once the initial rush and excitement of freedom day wore off. That at that point we might have some pubs and cafes reintroduce distancing and masking measures to encourage the vast swathes of society hiding away to go to them.

Same as I've always said: if you want to go back to normal, you have to bring everyone with you. Because it's other people that run the businesses you go to, other people that perform at the gigs you go to, other people that cook at the restaurant you go to.... you can't just go "back to normal" on your own. But instead of trying to win the argument and actually encourage people not to be afraid and that it'll be okay, the anti-lockdown hawks have gone with "people can just stay at home if they don't like it". And now they're upset because people are doing exactly that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

If, and this is a massive if, the gigs I've booked go ahead, I don't think I'll be going back to the pub until September as I have them every 2-3 weeks (ha! Wishful thinking but for now it's true), having been to them without worry or consequence regularly since mid April. 

The events are more important to me, and I don't want to be ill and have to miss them. In the past you'd get ill and push on but those days are gone now. If you want to guarantee going to an event there needs to be an element of isolating beforehand. 

Plus I guess the benefit of this is it protects others when I get back from what I still see as a bit of a reckless risk. 

49 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So, there is this exit wave they keep talking about, and we must have it now because summer is best time etc...but they're obviously shitting it with how high this wave is going to be, what with not everyone fully vaccinated, social disatncing restrictions ending, and now loads of people turning off their test/trace apps. So, this is why we are seeing a bit of a push back with govt and scientists urging caution, slow and steady, go out but don't go out, go to work but don't go to work, wear a mask because you're good etc etc.

I keep hearing this nonsense "the exit wave we had to have"A

Anyone who doesn't think people like whitty and vallance are shitting it behind closed doors are kidding themselves.

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think we're conflating two things in this discussion at the moment. First there's the medical issue. Cases are going up, will continue to go up, and then they'll reach a peak and come back down. We should hit that peak in the next few weeks, and if we do all is fine. If we don't, and cases continue to keep going up (and so do hospitalisations at the same rate) we will be back in full lockdown, unavoidably. But that probably won't happen. It's not what the science points to. The only problem there is the case numbers being as high as they are now is also not what the science points to. So y'know, we should be okay until the scientists have it catastrophically wrong.

The second issue is the one I've gone on and on about for the past few months, and that's hesitancy. You can drop the rules all you want but if people don't feel comfortable going out they won't go out and that's a problem. A lot of people have harped on for a long time about how we should drop all the rules, and let people do what they want. The worried can stay in, the rest of them can get "back to normal". They've said that confident in the knowledge that 90% of people are on the same page they are, and the other 10% are introvert fake-SAGE weirdos. That the reason pubs aren't full is because people don't like table service, wearing masks to the loo, or having to book in advance. That Latitude isn't sold out because it's quite hard to get to. 

I was actually starting to believe that, given the level of confidence they seemed to have in this belief, hell, you'll have seen me making posts going "yeah but even if we're just 10% that can have a big impacts on gigs, etc.". But no - turns out the cautious people were in the majority all along. Turns out when you tell people "yeah there will be an exit wave but you probably won't die" a lot people go "oh cool, I'll just wait until the exit wave is done then".

What's happening now is what I expected to start happening in a couple of weeks time, once the initial rush and excitement of freedom day wore off. That at that point we might have some pubs and cafes reintroduce distancing and masking measures to encourage the vast swathes of society hiding away to go to them.

Same as I've always said: if you want to go back to normal, you have to bring everyone with you. Because it's other people that run the businesses you go to, other people that perform at the gigs you go to, other people that cook at the restaurant you go to.... you can't just go "back to normal" on your own. But instead of trying to win the argument and actually encourage people not to be afraid and that it'll be okay, the anti-lockdown hawks have gone with "people can just stay at home if they don't like it". And now they're upset because people are doing exactly that.

Very well said.

15 minutes ago, Havors said:

But they are full and heaving! That is all that matters. People that only sit at home anyway are irrelevant. 

The pubs can't be propped up infefinetly by those that don't give a shit.

As others have pointed out, people are in for a shock. It's clear the vast majority of people are concerned. None of my mates are going into a rammed pub until double jabbing and things due down.

1 minute ago, MrBarry465 said:

The pubs can't be propped up infefinetly by those that don't give a shit.

As others have pointed out, people are in for a shock. It's clear the vast majority of people are concerned. None of my mates are going into a rammed pub until double jabbing and things due down.

We shall see... I think you will be surprised. 

1 minute ago, Havors said:

We shall see... I think you will be surprised. 

I don't think I will - but we shall see.

The government will realise that the economy coming back full swing is related to cases. They could have kept a bit more control and not open the flood gates complete.

I predict some u turns within the fortnight. 

3 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

I keep hearing this nonsense "the exit wave we had to have"A

Anyone who doesn't think people like whitty and vallance are shitting it behind closed doors are kidding themselves.

I think Whitty is being straight up when he says there isn't necessarily a good time to open up...either now when schools are closed but not everyone vaccinated, or at end of summer or autumn when more are vaccinated but schools are back and other viruses are starting to spread. So, I guess they really want to ease the opening, keep some restrictions, but govt doesn't want the responsibility of imposing these restrictions so leaving it to individuals and businesses and we just hope for the best. Problem is hospitals aready busy and in some cases overstretched.