When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

I would have thought this was obvious to most people - specially anyone with kids and concerns over education.

the zero covid lot and Fake SAGE want lockdown restrictions until next Spring. They wont say it out aloud of course, just a constant 'wait a few weeks for this milestone' and then jump on any bad news to push for restrictions longer. If we do delay, even when all adults are offered 2 jabs, they'll then start on kids needing to have it, and then 'just wait for winter to be over' e.t.c. 

The BMJ are trying to make banning indoor hospitality a 'minor' thing which it most certainly is not, and is them being disingenuous. 

A lot of the freaking out over the past week has to do with stories and first hand accounts about double jabbed people still getting it - the vast majority will be totally mild symptoms, which is obviously brilliant.

But it's the fault of the media (and bits of the government) that the reality of this summer doesn't line up with what they implied or promised people with this rollout: which was that vaccines were magic and you wouldn't be at risk. Suddenly people have realised they are and they can't get their head around it.

So, there is this exit wave they keep talking about, and we must have it now because summer is best time etc...but they're obviously shitting it with how high this wave is going to be, what with not everyone fully vaccinated, social disatncing restrictions ending, and now loads of people turning off their test/trace apps. So, this is why we are seeing a bit of a push back with govt and scientists urging caution, slow and steady, go out but don't go out, go to work but don't go to work, wear a mask because you're good etc etc.

Just now, steviewevie said:

no, but debatable when is best time to have that exit wave...Whitty says there is disagreement about that.

I thought SAGE were on the same page that the summer is better than later in the year? all the Fake SAGE lot are very coy about when an exit wave is best. They seem to be saying that its possible to avoid an exit wave altogether, which is.... unlikely

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Its a minor thing if you don't work in the industry or the supply chain.  I get they have a view point but to call it a minor thing is fucking awful when you think of the potential job loses and financial many would face.  At least own the call and say - although we know this would wreck some lives we think it might save others - I could respect that viewpoint as it was honest.

nah, according to them its a minor disruption which will apparently benefit people overall! ;-/

Do we think the UK has an issue /  borderline obsession with testing at this stage?
Obviously not talking about those who are symptomatic who genuinely think they may have the virus, but more just the sheer numbers we are doing across all settings. Not sure if it’s true (and I have no reason to believe it isn’t) but I read that we carried out more tests yesterday than the whole of Europe combined. This is clearly going to make our numbers look so much worse in comparison, and maybe our rates per 100k aren’t actually much higher, or as much of an issue as they appear. 

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

nah, according to them its a minor disruption which will apparently benefit people overall! ;-/

Just now, Barry Fish said:

I think we should be having grown up discussions on cause and effect.  There might be an argument to us being better overall.  But when they say something is a minor disruption (which it clearly would not be) you have to question there ability to be in this debate don't you...  Bunch of morons.

I think its fair to say a lot of medical people would happily see the back of alcohol and pubs, so you do have to wonder whether that "benefit" is in the back of their minds when making these suggestions 

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

I thought SAGE were on the same page that the summer is better than later in the year? all the Fake SAGE lot are very coy about when an exit wave is best. They seem to be saying that its possible to avoid an exit wave altogether, which is.... unlikely

He said there was some disagreement about that...there is no good time basically, and there is a lot of uncertainty...and probably because of political and economic pressures they've decided to go for it now. Indie Sage, as I like to call them because it sounds cool, have always been cautious, maybe over cautious...and are pushing for things to open slowly once as many as poss vaccinated...and have also been pushing for better ventilation in schools/workplaces etc., which is reasonable...especially when we're going to have a shit load of other viruses splattering about this winter. But yeah, obviously certain industries like hospitality are going to be fucked without people back in them, or massive government support.

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

Do we think the UK has an issue /  borderline obsession with testing at this stage?
Obviously not talking about those who are symptomatic who genuinely think they may have the virus, but more just the sheer numbers we are doing across all settings. Not sure if it’s true (and I have no reason to believe it isn’t) but I read that we carried out more tests yesterday than the whole of Europe combined. This is clearly going to make our numbers look so much worse in comparison, and maybe our rates per 100k aren’t actually much higher, or as much of an issue as they appear. 

you test because you need to act early if cases start to get really high. As WHO said, Test, Test, Test. But once we're through this last wave (hopefully last wave), and the vaccinations are done...then yeah, I guess no need to do so much of it.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

you test because you need to act early if cases start to get really high. As WHO said, Test, Test, Test. But once we're through this last wave (hopefully last wave), and the vaccinations are done...then yeah, I guess no need to do so much of it.

If we had not been testing so much recently, would people be so worried now? The cases would be less. And our hospital admissions and deaths would still be the same (low). 

1 minute ago, Havors said:

If we had not been testing so much recently, would people be so worried now? The cases would be less. And our hospital admissions and deaths would still be the same (low). 

well, makes it easy to show the link between cases and hospitalisation/deaths is weakened.

21 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Fake SAGE constantly change what they’re most annoyed about or what the one big reason we shouldn’t end restrictions. 

Long covid. Schools. The vulnerable. Variants. Herd immunity. Blah blah blah