When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Barry Fish said:

That isn't true.  We decide.  We dictate.  We get to choose how much risk / death we can stomach.  Currently we are acting like a bunch of school girls fearful of what is a tiny risk to the vast majority of the UK.

So you have just downplayed the role of alternative sage ? Either they have a role or they haven’t ? An overwhelmed hospital dictates we have to do something !! 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

You mean independent Sage ?   I don't think we need them.  SAGE have people offering the same view point - along side of many other scientists offer opinions.  The concept we need the selfish appointed twats isn't something I sign up too.  

Where does the overwhelmed hospital come into it ? 

It’s what the virus does … and where restrictions get imposed independent of any influences from independent sage or the the Tory open up crew on the other … things reach a point where the data becomes too overwhelming for those influences to hold sway any longer .. that’s why we get so many reversals from the fuckup of a Tory govt … 

10 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

That isn't true.  We decide.  We dictate.  We get to choose how much risk / death we can stomach.  Currently we are acting like a bunch of school girls fearful of what is a tiny risk to the vast majority of the UK.

bahahaha 'school girls' - everyday you reveal your age and voting type further and further.

4 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Based on the above, the vaccines appear to just protect you from death....

Of the small % of people who get ill after being double dosed, they display these symptoms (if any at all, this isn't going to include 'I was asymptomatic) - so it really doesn't show that at all to be honest.

17 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

No they have good honest scientists and health experts in official roles doing a lot of good work just like here.  These people are making similar judgements.

My dislike for indy sage is they are political lobbying group masquerading as public health experts pushing the most negative and anti-government message possible which both influences and scares the public.  Regardless of what the government does they would say it's not enough.

Maybe its your dislike for the Tories that doesn't let you see and understand this so you give them a free pass ?

The reality is the government have enough scientific input from SAGE and if these people where of any value they would be sitting on SAGE and not on Sky News and lording how many tv appearances they did this week. 

Well, Indie SAGE either have an impact on policy (be it direct or indirect) or they don't. If they don't then really who cares, let's stop posting links to Pagel's Twitter and get on with our lives. If they do...

Then we need to look back at last year, where it's pretty much universally agreed the government repeatedly acted too late and to softly to actually bring the virus under control. But they did act eventually - and if you believe Indie SAGE have an impact on policy then they must have contributed to actually making that happen. So maybe without Indie SAGE we would have had a full Christmas mixing as per the original plan and a considerably worse January?

It's easy to hate them now because they're getting it wrong, but if they're actually effective and manage to influence policy then I'm willing to cut them a break for the 10s of thousands of lives they've saved...

12 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I've got to say all the laws just changing to guidance, presumably under the threat of making it law again if things go wrong is one of the more confusing and pointless things they've done so far...

• Upvote 1

Just now, hodgey123 said:

Yeah true, unless you also commonly get admitted to hospital with a sore throat/runny nose/sneezing/loss of smell?

Most people I know who have recently caught the virus have had at least 1 jab and it's absolutely rocked them for a period of at least 2 weeks.

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Two extra cases today, added to the 16 from yesterday, means there's only one thing for it in Melbourne - lockdown #5! Yay!

Restrictions back for 5 days, initially.

What is happening in terms of financial support to help businesses deal with these impromptu lockdowns?

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Pretty sure everyone will agree on this one.

I hope there is a mini revolt against it.  A lot of companies are coming out and saying it's an issue for government and not them and saying people can do what they want.  A lot of bus / coach companies / nightclubs saying this.  Pubs quiet at the moment.  Thought weatherspoons would be mouthing off by now 😛 

That fella has been quiet for months now after his original anger over the first lockdowns. Wonder what he's been promised...

Just now, MrBarry465 said:

Most people I know who have recently caught the virus have had at least 1 jab and it's absolutely rocked them for a period of at least 2 weeks.

But is it manageable with rest and OTC medication at home, like is the case for the majority of other illnesses and viruses we have all picked up pre Covid? If so, then that’s as good as we can realistically expect isn’t it? Part and parcel of existing on this planet. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Im one jab, tested positive Monday. Was proper rough Tuesday and now feeling a lot better, hope thats the worst of it! 

2 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

But didn't rock them enough to kill them?

Bit like a normal flu virus then?

Cheers vaccines.

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

But is it manageable with rest and OTC medication at home, like is the case for the majority of other illnesses and viruses we have all picked up pre Covid? If so, then that’s as good as we can realistically expect isn’t it? Part and parcel of existing on this planet. 

Yup. My brother had one jab and then caught it. Rough for one day, normal now

Edited by zahidf

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

This.

4 minutes ago, st dan said:

Exactly. That is a huge win compared to what it would be like with no vaccines.

8 minutes ago, st dan said:

What is happening in terms of financial support to help businesses deal with these impromptu lockdowns?

Basic overview here, but I believe the federal government has said a lockdown has to be for 7 days minimum before financial help is given. Victoria is trying to get a pro-rata payment, I think. It's a negotiation happening at the moment.

• Upvote 1