When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, steviewevie said:

yeah, a lot of scientists seem to find him annoying. But, didn't he send out a warning tweet to the world about this virus or something or other.

Anyway, the main reason I posted it was the NL festival thing.

I think he just has a bit of smugness about him that grates a bit! Doesn't mean he's always wrong (nor does getting something correct at one point mean he's always right). It's still a highly fluid situation, I change my mind on various things as the data accrues (which is pretty normal) and I've gotten as much wrong as I have right in my assessment of things. The NL festival does raise a bunch of questions (if testing is used, should it be immediately prior to entry rather than in the 48-72h prior?, if everyone is vaccinated, does it matter if we get cases? (eventually, probably not), do we need antibody tests for recovered individuals to see if they are actually still "immune"?)...I think a lot of that would be overkill and probably not feasible, and pushing on to get as many fully jabbed as possible in as short a time as we can manage is the main route back to congregating in large numbers as safely as we can.  

1 minute ago, Toilet Duck said:

I think he just has a bit of smugness about him that grates a bit! Doesn't mean he's always wrong (nor does getting something correct at one point mean he's always right). It's still a highly fluid situation, I change my mind on various things as the data accrues (which is pretty normal) and I've gotten as much wrong as I have right in my assessment of things. The NL festival does raise a bunch of questions (if testing is used, should it be immediately prior to entry rather than in the 48-72h prior?, if everyone is vaccinated, does it matter if we get cases? (eventually, probably not), do we need antibody tests for recovered individuals to see if they are actually still "immune"?)...I think a lot of that would be overkill and probably not feasible, and pushing on to get as many fully jabbed as possible in as short a time as we can manage is the main route back to congregating in large numbers as safely as we can.  

yeah, maybe we're going through a little period of chaos and uncertainty before we enter a brave new world.

The mask thing is already turning into a fucking mess. Having different requirements region-by-region and mode-of-transport is just going to cause even more friction and drop usage everywhere as people get confused about what's what.

I understand why local politicians are pushing for it, but ultimately I can't see it having any impact at all on the people that have either already dropped them or are planning to.

1 hour ago, incident said:

Given that whenever this does get discussed on here, those changes can often be summed up as "get rid of the area I don't personally care about in order to provide more budget/space to the areas I do" - I tend to think that anyone who does want significant change has largely missed the reason the festival works so well - that it's got something for nearly everyone.

Ageed, though even without SE Corner, for example, reckon it would still sell out in half an hour such is the strength of its brand and history and line up.

I expect govt wished they had kept masks mandatory on public transport until this wave passed and a higher percentage fully vaccinated, but Harper and his crg liberty crew would have got upset, so we are where we are, confusion. I guess we're always going to go through some pain as we "learn to live with it", but if cases get real high and deaths get above 100/day there could be a bit of a backlash.

It's a perfect storm really after the Euros Final on Sunday then a week later full relaxation of restrictions allowing that virus to be passed around further. I do wonder if they regret stating the last step would be a full relaxation?

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I expect govt wished they had kept masks mandatory on public transport until this wave passed and a higher percentage fully vaccinated, but Harper and his crg liberty crew would have got upset, so we are where we are, confusion. I guess we're always going to go through some pain as we "learn to live with it", but if cases get real high and deaths get above 100/day there could be a bit of a backlash.

At what point do we think that the daily death rate becomes "significant" again? Is that data even driving decisions anymore? Feels dirty even saying it when over 300 people have died so far this month

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

It's a perfect storm really after the Euros Final on Sunday then a week later full relaxation of restrictions allowing that virus to be passed around further. I do wonder if they regret stating the last step would be a full relaxation?

If they don’t now, they’re going to in a couple of months (if that) when it becomes incredibly clear that we’re once again in the shit.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

If they don’t now, they’re going to in a couple of months (if that) when it becomes incredibly clear that we’re once again in the shit.

Maybe they regret going so full on then and getting rid of baseline protections (WFH, masks etc) at least?

19 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

They could always just get the vaccine...  Seriously don't get the fear...  The vaccines work.

To be fair a lot of older people have taken the "take the vaccine to protect your loved ones" messages aimed at young people as "we're not safe until they've been vaccinated" - and that's exactly how it's sounded and been pushed so can't blame them really. I genuinely don't think anyone is trying to keep measures to protect those who refuse it, but plenty who've had two don't feel safe until everyone has. 

I've had one and don't expect any protections at all, except perhaps not being allowed to do some things til I've had the second

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

At what point do we think that the daily death rate becomes "significant" again? Is that data even driving decisions anymore? Feels dirty even saying it when over 300 people have died so far this month

No idea. I think 100/day would be a moment, especially if stays above 100/day for a week or two.

12 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

My brother in law who is a A&E nurse gets extremely fucking annoyed at these headlines.  He says its true everyone is fucking knackered but he says he doesn't know where the distressed bit comes in.  He is pretty blunt says its his job - its what he is trained to do and he has always been 100% working his arse off anyway.

He of course only speaks for himself and the colleagues he works directly with.  But I can't help but think there is a major oversaction in some of these headlines.

But what about your milkman ? Don’t think we have heard from him yet ? Seriously you are right though he only speaks for himself and No others unless he’s conducted a poll ? Maybe we could look at what some of the top bods at the Nhs and what they are saying ? Might give a better picture ? 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Indeed it did pre 2008, when the only thing in the SE corner was the much less mainstream Lost Vagueness.

The bar gets set higher every year and I get that its difficult and even undesirable to row back from that, but even so Glasto is a unique brand that will remain obscenely popular regardless of direction imho.

18 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Balearic Islands are back on the amber list as of Monday 

Not sure about the sense of this whole list now with countries like Bulgaria and Croatia (the latter where Austria had this summer issue with them last year) I get a bit of a headache, really.