When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

You said sigificant amount of people in your previous message now you're saying possibly10%....quite the difference.

Again, it just depends on where you live I think.

For me Oxford (where I work) will always have tourism to fall back on, but perhaps elsewhere other places won't.

I think it's a significant number - it'll be more like 30% reduction in office workers presence in city/town centres. We disagree on that, which is fine. My point is that even at 10%, you'd feel it in store, restaurant and cafe closures. 

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think it's a significant number - it'll be more like 30% reduction in office workers presence in city/town centres. We disagree on that, which is fine. My point is that even at 10%, you'd feel it in store, restaurant and cafe closures. 

Maybe across the country you're right...what I'm trying to say is it may depend on where you live as to what that true figure really is.

Its still noticably quieter when I go in compared to March 2020 at the moment, but I will wait to reserve judgement on a long term reduction until later in the year. 

As I said, 14,000 people where I work and all office based have been told they can work from home until the end of August...at which point they want us back in, so won't know until way after that tbh.

Edited by gooner1990

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

I think most people on here would make big changes to Glastonbury if given the opportunity. Even if that's just "make it like it was X years ago".

Given that whenever this does get discussed on here, those changes can often be summed up as "get rid of the area I don't personally care about in order to provide more budget/space to the areas I do" - I tend to think that anyone who does want significant change has largely missed the reason the festival works so well - that it's got something for nearly everyone.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

As in he pretends to be a doctor but doesn't have any qualifications

He has a degree in Public Health from Johns Hopkins and a doctorate in Epidemiology from Harvard...sound like real qualifications to me! (I don't agree with him about various aspects of the pandemic (though he was right about the risks associated with Vioxx and some other COX-2 inhibitors, which led to the drugs being pulled https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/203534), but he's perfectly entitled to use the title Dr as the holder of a doctorate...Unless you think medical doctors (who don't actually do a doctorate) are the only ones that can use the title (in which case, most of the academic world would probably take issue with that!)). He has over 90,000 citations for his work and publishes most of it in The Lancet, JAMA and other top medical Journals...maybe let's not belittle the actual achievements of scientists you happen to disagree with eh? (and again, I don't agree with him about much of this either, but I do recognise that he's qualified to express these opinions). 

Edit: I should qualify that, some medical doctors do indeed do a PhD or MD (or DSc or DMed) and thus hold a doctorate, but they don't need to do one to use the title Dr. 

Edited by Toilet Duck
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Talk of the Balerics going straight to red...

What happens when tens of thousands of people come back to England and they can't afford the quarantine hotels ? 

We just going to throw them all in jail ?  

This is fucking madness...

Travel should be banned or allowed...

Presume their rises are our fault too...

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

I'm saying when I hear people say new normal or words to that effect they're saying things will never be as good as we had it ever again. That's the implication I see.

I think things will change but it won't necessarily be worse going forward once this has passed.

Ah, I went to primavera a couple of years ago when they were making a big thing about their 50/50 gender split being "the new normal", so I don't associate the phrase with necessarily being negative changes.

1 minute ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Mrs S’s sister hasn’t left her flat for a week having been pinged. The very next day before even going outside; she gets pinged again and gets told to wait another week. Another one to delete the app and I can’t blame her in the slightest. Lost all trust in it.

Neighbours everybody needs good neighbours … that’s how I got pinged I reckon … 11 days it gave me strangely 🙂 

39 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

He has a degree in Public Health from Johns Hopkins and a doctorate in Epidemiology from Harvard...sound like real qualifications to me! (I don't agree with him about various aspects of the pandemic (though he was right about the risks associated with Vioxx and some other COX-2 inhibitors, which led to the drugs being pulled https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/203534), but he's perfectly entitled to use the title Dr as the holder of a doctorate...Unless you think medical doctors (who don't actually do a doctorate) are the only ones that can use the title (in which case, most of the academic world would probably take issue with that!)). He has over 90,000 citations for his work and publishes most of it in The Lancet, JAMA and other top medical Journals...maybe let's not belittle the actual achievements of scientists you happen to disagree with eh? (and again, I don't agree with him about much of this either, but I do recognise that he's qualified to express these opinions). 

Edit: I should qualify that, some medical doctors do indeed do a PhD or MD (or DSc or DMed) and thus hold a doctorate, but they don't need to do one to use the title Dr. 

I thought his doctorate was in Nutrition?

I was thinking more about him using the Doctor title when he didn't finish medical school. But fair point!

I still find him annoying though. The 'god pray for the UK schoolchildren' tweet when reopened schools was horrific.

2 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Ah, I went to primavera a couple of years ago when they were making a big thing about their 50/50 gender split being "the new normal", so I don't associate the phrase with necessarily being negative changes.

Yeah maybe I am getting confused here. I take 'new normal' to mean some dystopian future post covid where we never recover and this will be our new normal life. I've defo seen it used in that context you mention though so who knows.

32 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Glad they've got a plan. But the music industry isn't centralised- who's going to sort this out for them when we're only on "advice" and the government don't seem to be creating an actual system?

Maybe they can just nick the Premiere leagues one?

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah maybe I am getting confused here. I take 'new normal' to mean some dystopian future post covid where we never recover and this will be our new normal life. I've defo seen it used in that context you mention though so who knows.

Tbf the phrase in covid terms is often used in conjunction with someone trying to limit our freedoms...

There were 11 new cases in a small pocket of Melbourne announced today, so now all 6,681,000 residents of the entire state, across a land mass of 141,327 miles/sq., are facing mandatory requirements to wear masks indoors everywhere at all times. 😕

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I thought his doctorate was in Nutrition?

I was thinking more about him using the Doctor title when he didn't finish medical school. But fair point!

I still find him annoying though. The 'god pray for the UK schoolchildren' tweet when reopened schools was horrific.

He is annoying! And he does have a doctorate in nutrition from Harvard as well (which is a real thing, I know loads of people that studied human nutrition and work as clinical dieticians, very important in cancer rehab amongst a bunch of other things) and yes, he dropped out of med school to take up a faculty position at Harvard (but he already had his doctorate before that). He's still annoying though. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, kalifire said:

There were 11 new cases in a small pocket of Melbourne announced today, so now all 6,681,000 residents of the entire state, across a land mass of 141,327 miles/sq., are facing mandatory requirements to wear masks indoors everywhere at all times. 😕

does any mask exemption exist in Australia ? or are we world leading here ? 

Boom Village festival cancelled amid rising cases

Boom Village was going to be held on the same site as the already-cancelled Boomtown Boom Village was going to be held on the same site as the already-cancelled Boomtown

A scaled-down version of the Boomtown music festival has been cancelled because of escalating cases of Covid, the event's organisers have said.

Boom Village was due to be hosted at the Matterley Estate, near Winchester, between 11 and 15 August.

It was designed to be a smaller event than the usual Boomtown festival, which had already been cancelled.

Organisers say they appreciate the decision might seem confusing given the imminent lifting of Covid restrictions.

A statement on the Boomtown website says the risk of widespread illness and self-isolation would result in them not having enough people to safely deliver the event.

"The core decision is due to the escalating cases of Covid-19 across the country," it adds.

Ticket holders have been promised refunds and the full Boomtown festival is expected to return in 2022.

Read more here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-57832179?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=60eefa102a60096481ab4e35%26Boom Village festival cancelled amid rising cases%262021-07-14T15%3A28%3A48.625Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:8aff2568-3525-4da6-947b-59194be0ed77&pinned_post_asset_id=60eefa102a60096481ab4e35&pinned_post_type=share

Edited by Copperface

35 minutes ago, kalifire said:

the contrast to what is happening here is kind of mad.

34 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

He is annoying! And he does have a doctorate in nutrition from Harvard as well (which is a real thing, I know loads of people that studied human nutrition and work as clinical dieticians, very important in cancer rehab amongst a bunch of other things) and yes, he dropped out of med school to take up a faculty position at Harvard (but he already had his doctorate before that). He's still annoying though. 

yeah, a lot of scientists seem to find him annoying. But, didn't he send out a warning tweet to the world about this virus or something or other.

Anyway, the main reason I posted it was the NL festival thing.

26 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Boom Village festival cancelled amid rising cases

Boom Village was going to be held on the same site as the already-cancelled Boomtown Boom Village was going to be held on the same site as the already-cancelled Boomtown

A scaled-down version of the Boomtown music festival has been cancelled because of escalating cases of Covid, the event's organisers have said.

Boom Village was due to be hosted at the Matterley Estate, near Winchester, between 11 and 15 August.

It was designed to be a smaller event than the usual Boomtown festival, which had already been cancelled.

Organisers say they appreciate the decision might seem confusing given the imminent lifting of Covid restrictions.

A statement on the Boomtown website says the risk of widespread illness and self-isolation would result in them not having enough people to safely deliver the event.

"The core decision is due to the escalating cases of Covid-19 across the country," it adds.

Ticket holders have been promised refunds and the full Boomtown festival is expected to return in 2022.

Read more here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-57832179?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=60eefa102a60096481ab4e35%26Boom Village festival cancelled amid rising cases%262021-07-14T15%3A28%3A48.625Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:8aff2568-3525-4da6-947b-59194be0ed77&pinned_post_asset_id=60eefa102a60096481ab4e35&pinned_post_type=share

Yeah my mate has just pinged me about this as he was due to be stewarding that one. They're trying to hold onto £7 of his deposit too...