When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, MrBarry465 said:

To me it's always been not the masks themselves solely but the additional level of sensibility it installs in people.

COVID is still absolutely circulating in massive numbers and I feel people should still behave in a way that reflects this to some degree. Removing masks indicates to people that it literally doesn't matter anymore, which is not the case. 

Yep. Granted there were a lot of people who’ve fucked masks off already, but this whole ‘freedom day’ schtick and the flip flopping on masks being kept around has really led to a lot of people who would’ve otherwise kept wearing them just thinking ‘fuck it’. We should’ve always been approaching the 19th with the tone of ‘we still need to be wary’ rather than ‘that’s it guys, pandemic over, let’s go fucking mental!’

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep. Granted there were a lot of people who’ve fucked masks off already, but this whole ‘freedom day’ schtick and the flip flopping on masks being kept around has really led to a lot of people who would’ve otherwise kept wearing them just thinking ‘fuck it’. We should’ve always been approaching the 19th with the tone of ‘we still need to be wary’ rather than ‘that’s it guys, pandemic over, let’s go fucking mental!’

Yeah agreed. 

I just think next week turns into a shit show and the tories are suddenly now realising that as well.

Day 3 since my positive test and i can confirm i feel absolutely awful. No smell, bad cough and fever and headaches that come and go with the wind. Im single jabbed 6 weeks ago and someone who just doesn't get ill. Don't take it lightly, its still out there with quite the bite on it.

8 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

12% difference in fully vaccinated will defo make a difference to health outcomes, that doesn't make me naive to say that.

Also I assume we have a higher level of natural immunity than there due to our previous big waves. Regardless, they have already said cases are gonna get very big. It's about whether those translate to pressure on the NHS that is the issue.

So how many more infections have we had in the UK compared to Netherlands? What figures are you comparing? According to our world in data, Netherlands have had 103,000 cases per 100,000 in total compared to 76,000 in the UK.  

Not disagreeing with you, just trying to establish what your comment regarding natural immunity is based on. 

Agree on your comment regarding NHS BTW.  

Edited by slumberjack

2 minutes ago, RossTC said:

Day 3 since my positive test and i can confirm i feel absolutely awful. No smell, bad cough and fever and headaches that come and go with the wind. Im single jabbed 6 weeks ago and someone who just doesn't get ill. Don't take it lightly, its still out there with quite the bite on it.

Yup, all the best mate.

Most people I know who have caught it around my age recently (30's) have been totally rocked by it....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

image.png.68e1340d29acf7f94a49e3168c1c3e08.png

Hospitality to get the blame, screwing them long term. Its a shame so many need full capacity to survive, if all of them were able to stick two fingers up to the government's "reopening" and keep measures as they are now, then they wouldn't be able to be blamed.

24 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

I feel like when the vaccines first started circulating they were heralded as the nail in the coffin and did in fact break transmission and your chances of catching it.

Doesn't look to be the case now.

You know what i distinctly remember the scientists in the briefings being cautious and saying something along the lines of "if a vaccine reduces severity this will be a big win" and basically said what @Toilet Duck says that it won't fully get rid of transmission but if it does at a certain percentage that's really good.

But then the politicians and the media jumped on the early case drops correlating with rollout and declared them this magic bullet to eliminate the virus. But we were in lockdown at the time so the transmission reduction seems to have corrected itself towards the original estimates, which were always said to be good and better than we could hope for. I've been basing my own opinions on those early things that were said so haven't been hugely surprised by the infected and symptomatic double jabbed people. 

The media and politicians getting carried away...sounds familiar! 

4 minutes ago, RossTC said:

Exactly the same as my 36 year old brother

1 minute ago, slumberjack said:

So how many more infections have we had in the UK compared to Netherlands? What figures are you comparing? According to our world in data, Netherlands have had 103,000 cases per 100,000 in total compared to 76,000 in the UK.  

Not disagreeing with you, just trying to establish what your comment regarding natural immunity is based on. 

What will help in Europe are those long school summer holidays which end in September, also the hot weather. If comparing you can also look up at all the incidences of European countries here (a german site): 

https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/1180169/umfrage/laender-mit-den-meisten-coronainfektionen-in-der-letzten-woche-in-europa/

33 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

I feel like when the vaccines first started circulating they were heralded as the nail in the coffin and did in fact break transmission and your chances of catching it.

Doesn't look to be the case now.

they reduce transmission though, right? Not sure how much by.

11 minutes ago, RossTC said:

ooof. Take it easy. I've heard that people think they're over it and do too much and then it comes back and knocks them for six again, and that can be when some of the long covid stuff starts to kick in. So...even if you think you're fully recovered give your body a bit more time.

Edited by steviewevie

9 minutes ago, slumberjack said:

Agree on your comment regarding NHS BTW.  

Ok ignore my comment about past infections, I am well off there I should have looked it up.

We do have a substantial amount more double vaccinated though which will help us imo.

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

I'm almost certain that'll be me after latitude too! Though I'll be 3 weeks after first so maybe worse. Worth it? Probably! 

It's a (calculated) risk I'm willing to take. After weighing up the facts, I'm fit and healthy with zero co-morbidities and double-jabbed. I'm not going to be in any stronger a position than I am right now so I'm throwing a little caution to the wind and going to have a good time at Latitude. As I said above, there's an inevitability of me catching it at some point but I'll continue to take the precautions necessary to hold it off for as long as possible, including mask-wearing and all the other recommended measures

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Schmitt said:

What will help in Europe are those long school summer holidays which end in September, also the hot weather. If comparing you can also look up at all the incidences of European countries here (a german site): 

https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/1180169/umfrage/laender-mit-den-meisten-coronainfektionen-in-der-letzten-woche-in-europa/

Thanks.  This looks like cases over the last week? can it show total cases since the beginning of last year? That's what I was trying to find and ended up here (you may need to change country selection and metric): https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

7 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Hospitality to get the blame, screwing them long term. Its a shame so many need full capacity to survive, if all of them were able to stick two fingers up to the government's "reopening" and keep measures as they are now, then they wouldn't be able to be blamed.

I don't think so...surely the blame lies on govt who allow these things to open.

Maybe we won't be as bad as Netherlands in terms of cases increasing as we're already pretty high? Or is that naive?

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

Ok ignore my comment about past infections, I am well off there I should have looked it up.

We do have a substantial amount more double vaccinated though which will help us imo.

I only looked it up out of interest as I presumed that you were correct! 🙂

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

You know what i distinctly remember the scientists in the briefings being cautious and saying something along the lines of "if a vaccine reduces severity this will be a big win" and basically said what @Toilet Duck says that it won't fully get rid of transmission but if it does at a certain percentage that's really good.

But then the politicians and the media jumped on the early case drops correlating with rollout and declared them this magic bullet to eliminate the virus. But we were in lockdown at the time so the transmission reduction seems to have corrected itself towards the original estimates, which were always said to be good and better than we could hope for. I've been basing my own opinions on those early things that were said so haven't been hugely surprised by the infected and symptomatic double jabbed people. 

The media and politicians getting carried away...sounds familiar! 

The reporting of this Netherlands stuff is unreal. Pretty much every headline is "Netherlands sees huge spike after nightclubs reopen". This despite only a third of the new cases being attributed to a hospitality venue. And of those, I assume the definition is that if someone was in a pub/club in the previous few days then they must've caught covid in there. 

Also very little mention that, as yet, hospital admissions have stayed stable. 

Clear that once again, everything is being set up to blame hospitality when cases inevitable rise in the next few weeks. 

Fully expect the clubs to be closed and social distancing back in pubs by the end of August. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Yup, all the best mate.

Most people I know who have caught it around my age recently (30's) have been totally rocked by it....

Yep im 33, friends who were with me also gone down and dont feel great.

5 minutes ago, slumberjack said:

Thanks.  This looks like cases over the last week? can it show total cases since the beginning of last year? That's what I was trying to find and ended up here (you may need to change country selection and metric): https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

it can show the total cases around the World since the beginning also including UK and Netherlands. These data come from the John Hopkins University:

https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/1090985/umfrage/fallzahl-des-coronavirus-2019-ncov-nach-laendern/

12 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's frustrating how slow policy has been to adapt from a supply constrained, AZ dominated situation to an population constrained, mRNA dominated situation. It's been pretty clear for a while that the 8 week gap doesn't make much sense for the people currently being vaccinated.

I only got my first jab yesterday as been out the country for the last two months. I don't especially want to wait until September for my second Pfizer jab if I don't have to! 

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ooof. Take it easy. I've heard that people think they're over it and do too much and then it comes back and knocks them for six again, and that can be when some of the long covid stuff starts to kick in. So...even if you think you're fully recovered give your body a bit more time.

Sounds about right, i cooked some dinner last night and that was enough to send me West and make me feel the worst i have so far. Takeaways it is...

43 minutes ago, RossTC said:

Sounds horrible. Feel better soon.

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Considering this lot don't care what they said even a couple of days ago or think people will forget, I still wouldn't be surprised if "if not now, when" turns into another "heavy heart" on Friday if we get the expected euros final spike in cases today/tomorrow/friday

Nah, this won't happen, so there's no point spending energy preparing yourself for it. There'll be a spike but all the noises show they've clearly commited to the 19th now and then will see what happens.