When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

52 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Thanks mate, they'll all be fine eventually (thank you, science) but it's a stark reminder to me particularly that the pursuit of "normality" is still a risk, vaccinated or not.

That's the question we'll all have to ask ourselves at some point, I'd imagine. Is that weekend away, that festival, that club night, that night at the pub with your mates worth the risk? Sure, it might be minimal in some instances but it's a risk nonetheless. I'm off to London for this weekend and then Latitude next week with a slightly increased sense of anxiety but I'll enjoy it, despite the reality of the situation always looming large

I think we'll see some hesitancy around smaller things as people see more people getting (not seriously) ill. That weekend away might be worth the risk to you, but you don't want to risk being ill for it so the trip to the pub a few days before gets nixed.

7 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Surely this is impossible to manage once an event begins?

"Ref, stop the game, there's a geezer in block D, row 34, set C without a mask on". Mental.

Masks were to be worn at all the euros games. Of the 4 I went to, I'd say compliance was less than 5%. Complete waste of time. 

Caveats etc but this mixed with Euros finishing, schools shutting for summer and good weather ahead should put us in a better place 

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I think most places will get a QR scan thing to register a vaccine for entry.  Wouldn't be that difficult.

That's my thinking too, by then everyone who wants a jab will have been done twice and we potentially will have started boosters as well. Either that or a recent negative test is a fair mitigation to get events happening again 

28 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Starting to think festivals / concerts later in the year might be toast.

I hope that doesn't stretch to expecting people to wear it at other  outdoor stuff - no way could I hack wearing one of those for hours in the sun at Latitude! Think I'd just sack off other festivals even if they did happen in that event 

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I hope that doesn't stretch to expecting people to wear it at other  outdoor stuff - no way could I hack wearing one of those for hours in the sun at Latitude! Think I'd just sack off other festivals even if they did happen in that event 

But silly I thought 99% of people in the UK wanted masks to continue for the long term? Are you doubting the data?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

someone I work with who's 27 and pregnant should have been offered the jab by now shouldn't they ? I thought the jab had been passed now for those who are pregnant or did I imagine it ? 

I'm guessing various admin stuff has meant not everyone has got an explicitly named letter or text, for example my letter went to my dad's and I didn't even think to change my doctors when I moved. I imagine she can just book online?

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

someone I work with who's 27 and pregnant should have been offered the jab by now shouldn't they ? I thought the jab had been passed now for those who are pregnant or did I imagine it ? 

I don’t understand this. If you haven’t been offered the jab yet you know you can just ring one up and get one? Probably later today if the time allows.

Are people sitting back and waiting for them to come to you?

Just now, Matt42 said:

I don’t understand this. If you haven’t been offered the jab yet you know you can just ring one up and get one? Probably later today if the time allows.

Are people sitting back and waiting for them to come to you?

im guessing she is ? I was asking based on the pregnancy bit , as I wasnt sure ... I told her to contact them but will reinforce that tomorrow if its ok 

13 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I had no idea of the answer so went looking, first result was this:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/13/mixed-advice-driving-covid-vaccine-hesitancy-in-pregnant-uk-women

Looks like it’s all a bit of a mess for pregnant people 🙁 

19 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

No idea who the twitter poster is - waa retweet, but it's a good way to get an article on here visually!  

Thoughts on this from a biological perspective @Toilet Duck? Is the selective pressure greater in a partially vaccinated population rather than one which is naive to vaccines? 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

im guessing she is ? I was asking based on the pregnancy bit , as I wasnt sure ... I told her to contact them but will reinforce that tomorrow if its ok 

Yes you can get the vaccine now if you are pregnant. She might be anxious still though as she’s pregnant which my sister was, she’s just given birth and hasn’t had any doses of the vaccine yet. 

9 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm guessing various admin stuff has meant not everyone has got an explicitly named letter or text, for example my letter went to my dad's and I didn't even think to change my doctors when I moved. I imagine she can just book online?

My wife is pregnant and was missed off the initial GP list. When she booked her whooping cough jab, they asked if she’d had the Covid one and offered it there and then at the local centre (the booking centre ones were all miles away). Maybe give the GP a ring?

39 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

But silly I thought 99% of people in the UK wanted masks to continue for the long term? Are you doubting the data?

You are probably looking at one of those daft polls you have referred to as not one I have seen says 99%.

High percentages though do say masks should remain as they are now - indoors and crowded indoor places. Outside mask wearing, apart from test events tat state otherwise, has never been a legal requirement as far as I am aware.

Still, apart from that your comment is totally valid and accurate.