When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

16 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Masks to remain mandatory in Scotland.

A gradual approach to easing restrictions will be undertaken. 

Sturgeon isn't burdened with all the freedom day hopes and promises, and she can be more cautious without backbenchers going apeshit.

Edited by steviewevie

4 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

It may help, it may not....................... but the vaccines are 90-94% effective meaning there are 6-10% where they will not stop serious illness. That is why there are double jabbed who are very ill.

Most flu vaccines give 60% efficacy so these are the dogs danglies compared.

I know it is hard to break away from the constant worry - it is normal and natural to have that and anyone who says they don't is simply deluding themselves.

All the double jabbed who are ill or have died that I have read about had underlying conditions or were very old. Just like 99% who die of flu or other stuff each year.

Will I worry  - yes I will. Wil it be odd being in big crowds - yes it will.

Will it all feel 'normal' fairly fast - yes it will. Just like not being in big crowds became normal fast.

The media are on a hype hype hype season now and best ignored. If you want to look at stats then look at the difference between people in hospital day by day as that gives a true indication as it has new arrivals and departures taken into account.

That number is not going up fast, not at all.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

cases have been rising for weeks, and we are still unlocking more...and govt are putting out warnings about daily hospitalisations being in the 1000s and 100s dying every day. Not surprised some people are worried.

It’s this too … I’m classed as vulnerable so still not sure my level of risk … as there was talk today of the extremely vulnerable needing to restrict certain things … it’s a different assessment to one you might make if very young and extremely low risk … I’ve stuff booked but most wary about indoor gigs at this point … might change once I’ve done beautifull days 

On 7/10/2021 at 5:06 PM, kalifire said:

Assuming that’s true, 2 weeks from a first jab still puts them at risk from 19th July. Hospitalisations and deaths are already increasing.  

I was quite specific that it’s people who’re aggressively suggesting that people who don’t like it can stay at home who are selfish. I stand by that. Doesn’t translate that everyone who thinks easing protection on that date is necessarily selfish. 

The protections put in place for those who aren't double-jabbed and want to stay at home don't have to be entirely medical. The main thing you have to do is ensure those people's employers can't force them to come it, and allow furlough payments until they're vaccinated. 

Would be a bit of a faff and have some impact economically but it's not like we have to go back into lockdown (or even keep mandatory masks everywhere). That no such options even form part of the conversation shows what the government think.

On 7/12/2021 at 7:41 AM, Barry Fish said:

Thorpe park yesterday and today.  Social distancing none existent.

We are set for a massive shit show come next Monday if it's left to the general public.   There is no way those polls about people wanting to stick to restrictions make sense as soon as you hit a place like this.

Well those being cautious and wanting to keep restrictions aren't going to be at a theme park? The more risky the situation, the more risk tolerant people you get in that situation, hence they're likely to exhibit less behaviour that reduces risk.

Like if a protest kicks off and gets violent, it's swiftly nearly 100% of those still at the protest that are involved in the violence, because everyone that doesn't want a fight has turned around and run in the opposite direction to get away from it. 

On 7/12/2021 at 1:14 PM, El Matador said:

It would appear my social group are far from representative in that case. I haven't spoken to anyone that wants current restrictions to be kept beyond 19th July. 

I think you (meaning all people) broadly associate with people who have a similar approach to life and appetite for risk as yourself. And who have a similar level of desire for social interaction too. So you'll see that while the more cautious people on here will see their social group all being more cautious. 

24 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

It may help, it may not....................... but the vaccines are 90-94% effective meaning there are 6-10% where they will not stop serious illness. That is why there are double jabbed who are very ill.

Most flu vaccines give 60% efficacy so these are the dogs danglies compared.

I know it is hard to break away from the constant worry - it is normal and natural to have that and anyone who says they don't is simply deluding themselves.

All the double jabbed who are ill or have died that I have read about had underlying conditions or were very old. Just like 99% who die of flu or other stuff each year.

Will I worry  - yes I will. Wil it be odd being in big crowds - yes it will.

Will it all feel 'normal' fairly fast - yes it will. Just like not being in big crowds became normal fast.

The media are on a hype hype hype season now and best ignored. If you want to look at stats then look at the difference between people in hospital day by day as that gives a true indication as it has new arrivals and departures taken into account.

That number is not going up fast, not at all.

Are flu vaccines 60% effective against serious illness or preventing contracting? I thought the covid vaccines were very similar to 60% in terms of preventing someone from contracting delta variant so very similar to flu vaccines? 

20 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

If you imagine getting 20,000 into a gig or 100,000 into a festival etc and having to check both tickets and vaccine passports.   It ain't going to be fast if you do it properly.

So the reality is it won't be done properly.  More health theatre and its all so easy to scam.

But at the point whatever gets us going again.

For massive festivals I can see the issue but plenty of arena gigs manage to search every bag on the way in - that's something that didn't happen 20 years ago but they've managed to make it work, and that takes a lot more time than scanning another QR code. 

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

A lot. There might be a slight hesitance for some of the more wary of them who are planning on continuing to wear masks, but basically the clubs are gonna be rammed come that first weekend and stay that way. The thirst for big awful nights out is and always will be right up there for the younger generation, and I’m sure a lot of older people too.

Nightclubs as an industry were suffering before the pandemic (as were pubs) so it'll be interesting to see the demand after the initial buzz wears off. Where it's going to be really interesting is that, for most people, there's an age at which you start going to nightclubs, and an age at which you stop. Those that turned 18 last year may well have adapted to a life without nightclubs, and those reaching the age where they were considering stopping may have seen the process accelerated!

34 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

What a strange hill to die on. 'IM NOT GOING TO SHOP AT THIS PLACE, BECAUSE THEY ARE PUTTING SOME MEASURES IN THAT THEY FEEL KEEPS THE STAFF AND CUSTOMERS SAFER!'

To be fair, it's loads better than what most people will do which is just go in the shop and not wear a mask even though they've asked. 

37 minutes ago, zahidf said:

WHY IS STURGEON INFECTING PEOPLE ON PURPOSE

So Scotlands freedom day is August the 9th. I'd been in two minds whether to buy tickets for Playground festival as last time it was cancelled I lost out on booking fees. Going to get tickets now as it's in September so should actually happen. Looks like Edinburgh Fringe is saved too (wonder if that was the motivation for the date)

57 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

@Toilet Duck thanks for the response … just struggling with the “end “ bit today … after hearing about some double vaccinated who been ill 

My parents are both double vaccinated and currently suffering mild-ish symptoms and have been for the past week. Both become very tired after small tasks and have had the cough, loss of taste/smell, etc but they're generally ok in themselves. I dread to think where they'd be without the vaccine. My brother, 36, who lives with them - jabbed once - is in a right state. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

@Toilet Duck thanks for the response … just struggling with the “end “ bit today … after hearing about some double vaccinated who been ill 

Unfortunately, some will be, most won't though (and more will have symptomatic disease than will have severe disease or need to go to hospital). That's the bit that we eventually have to accept, but I think tentative steps out to that point are probably the best approach (many people will do this themselves anyway, which seems to be what your government is suggesting should happen, it just makes taking those tentative steps a bit more difficult if there is unmitigated growth in numbers til then). But we can manage our own individual risk as best we can. I'm fully vaccinated and ate indoors in public for the first time in a year this week. My wife and daughter have been in school most of the time, so are used to being indoors with unmasked people, I haven't been in a public setting without everyone wearing one for a long time. I have to say, even though I fully understand the science, it was the second night before I felt completely ok about it...the table next to us on the first night starting singing happy birthday and my reflex reaction was, would ye give it a rest ye super-spreading eejits...then I checked myself and thought, well, I can't be jittery if I actually believe the vaccines work (and I do and there's hard data to support that belief), so I relaxed and felt a whole lot better from then on...but it's going to take everyone time to readjust, even if it's just reversing behaviour that has almost become a habit at this stage. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

My parents are both double vaccinated and currently suffering mild-ish symptoms and have been for the past week. Both become very tired after small tasks and have had the cough, loss of taste/smell, etc but they're generally ok in themselves. I dread to think where they'd be without the vaccine. My brother, 36, who lives with them - jabbed once - is in a right state. 

There’s definately something in the household thing .. my risks are so much lower by living alone … which helps … it’s something I want to avoid getting even having had the jab but need to try to do some stuff otherwise I’m just gonna go mad … hopefully it all goes well for your family 

15 minutes ago, slumberjack said:

Are flu vaccines 60% effective against serious illness or preventing contracting? I thought the covid vaccines were very similar to 60% in terms of preventing someone from contracting delta variant so very similar to flu vaccines? 

Not really sure - I read the efficacy part to compare and got bored by all the pages of details

34 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

It’s this too … I’m classed as vulnerable so still not sure my level of risk … as there was talk today of the extremely vulnerable needing to restrict certain things … it’s a different assessment to one you might make if very young and extremely low risk … I’ve stuff booked but most wary about indoor gigs at this point … might change once I’ve done beautifull days 

I can understand a bit as I had to hide away more last year as I was on loads of meds so body was more susceptable to stuff - you name it I got it the winter before Covid.

I think I would feel differently, like you are, if I were still on all those meds.

I really hope Beautiful days works well for you and makes you feel comfortable - outside the Bimble Inn is always a superb sanctuary from the madness and a place I know I will spend some quality time providing the festival goes ahead.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Actually, one piece of information I've meant to post before but somehow haven't gotten around to, but is very relevant to your concern, is how vaccines are impacting on ICU admissions here. Over April, May and June, there were 124 people admitted to ICU in Ireland as a result of Covid. Of those 124, only 1 was fully vaccinated. The vaccines really are very very good at stopping people from getting really sick. Levels in the community here are not out of control (yet?), so that plays a role in determining risk, but still, that's a pretty startling impact from vaccination. 

4 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I can understand a bit as I had to hide away more last year as I was on loads of meds so body was more susceptable to stuff - you name it I got it the winter before Covid.

I think I would feel differently, like you are, if I were still on all those meds.

I really hope Beautiful days works well for you and makes you feel comfortable - outside the Bimble Inn is always a superb sanctuary from the madness and a place I know I will spend some quality time providing the festival goes ahead.

Should be ok as I can find a comfortable level of where I want to stand busyness wise .. I don’t have to go right in and I’m more than comfortable outside at the mo 🙂 see u there 🙂 

1 minute ago, Toilet Duck said:

Actually, one piece of information I've meant to post before but somehow haven't gotten around to, but is very relevant to your concern, is how vaccines are impacting on ICU admissions here. Over April, May and June, there were 124 people admitted to ICU in Ireland as a result of Covid. Of those 124, only 1 was fully vaccinated. The vaccines really are very very good at stopping people from getting really sick. Levels in the community here are not out of control (yet?), so that plays a role in determining risk, but still, that's a pretty startling impact from vaccination. 

Thanks that’s helpful .. anecdotally you (me ) hear of people being very ill but don’t really know what position they would be in without the vaccine 

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Big benefits of a vaccine passport

Got my EU Digital Health Certificate by email this morning. Was a bit sceptical when they said they were going to email them out yesterday and figured it would probably be ages, but no, there it was in my inbox this morning. Can print out and bring around with you physically or activate it in the Covid App. Looks like they are going to use them here for many things for the next few months (legislation before the Dáil today has a sunset clause of October 9th, but can be renewed), future phases of their use will include testing (vaccination only here by the looks of things for a few weeks at least, though that depends on what the Council of State advise the President before he signs it into law, there are significant constitutional concerns about it, but they think the temporary nature of it and the planned phases might allow them to do it this way) and I expect they will be required for travel for a considerable time to come. 

41 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

There’s definately something in the household thing .. my risks are so much lower by living alone … which helps … it’s something I want to avoid getting even having had the jab but need to try to do some stuff otherwise I’m just gonna go mad … hopefully it all goes well for your family 

Thanks mate, they'll all be fine eventually (thank you, science) but it's a stark reminder to me particularly that the pursuit of "normality" is still a risk, vaccinated or not.

That's the question we'll all have to ask ourselves at some point, I'd imagine. Is that weekend away, that festival, that club night, that night at the pub with your mates worth the risk? Sure, it might be minimal in some instances but it's a risk nonetheless. I'm off to London for this weekend and then Latitude next week with a slightly increased sense of anxiety but I'll enjoy it, despite the reality of the situation always looming large