When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, JoeyT said:

As of tomorrow it's going to be belting sunshine for at least the next week or so. 30c's over the weekend.

Which is nice as me and 5 friends are staying down on my friend's boat in Falmouth for the weekend whilst the Wives and children all stay at home. Couldn't have worked out better 😂

Oh really? Absolute RESULT. I've stopped checking the weather over the last few days under the assumption that we were in some kind of grey-cloud-in-July-purgatory forever. 

I've got ten days off starting from Thursday so I fully intend to melt to death in that case. 

The phrase ‘pissing in the wind’ comes to mind for shops that are going to try and encourage masks from next week. Going to lead to confrontation and intimidation of staff members, which is something they just shouldn’t be expected to deal with. 

20 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I could probably get away with an indie club but definitely wouldn't be let into a normal one! 

Few years ago we went to Manchester for my mates 40th. He really wanted to go to a club he used to as a student. The bouncers took one look at us "sorry lads, students only tonight" It wasn't, but I thought it was very nice if them to say that rather than, "fuck off granddads".

Ended up at Fab Cafe. And seeing as the playlist there is basically my 6th form and uni days we definitely fitted in better

30 minutes ago, RossTC said:

Well after attending Wembley 3 times in recent weeks, yesterday i woke up with the cough and runny nose. 2 lateral flow tests confirm it to be covid and ive just gone and done a pcr to be sure. Feel pretty run down and lousy but still working (from home!) so i'll solider on for now. Wembley will certainly turn out to be a super spreader event, the scenes leaving the semi final and final were absolute chaos and almost nobody in masks on the tubes etc where i'm convinced i caught it after the semi final.

😞

hope you feel better soon.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RossTC said:

Well after attending Wembley 3 times in recent weeks, yesterday i woke up with the cough and runny nose. 2 lateral flow tests confirm it to be covid and ive just gone and done a pcr to be sure. Feel pretty run down and lousy but still working (from home!) so i'll solider on for now. Wembley will certainly turn out to be a super spreader event, the scenes leaving the semi final and final were absolute chaos and almost nobody in masks on the tubes etc where i'm convinced i caught it after the semi final.

😞

Sorry to hear that mate, hope you make a quick recovery!

The scenes on Wembley way we're a total disgrace over the weekend. Makes me feel little sympathy for the loss.

30 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Few years ago we went to Manchester for my mates 40th. He really wanted to go to a club he used to as a student. The bouncers took one look at us "sorry lads, students only tonight" It wasn't, but I thought it was very nice if them to say that rather than, "fuck off granddads".

Ended up at Fab Cafe. And seeing as the playlist there is basically my 6th form and uni days we definitely fitted in better

Me and my best mate had that happen to us in Edinburgh (we are both 40)

Bouncers were most surprised when we pulled out our NUS cards and NHS ID’s 😂😂

Great night. 

11 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Sainsbury already said they will not be mandating masks.  So I will shop here. 

Waterstones will want you to wear them so I will shop online (which is a shame because I do like to browse books).

If you read that tweet Waterstones are not mandating you wear masks either, they are "encouraging" customers to wear masks. There will be signs on the door and most staff will be in masks but they won't do anything more.

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah I feel for those of you worried about it - I haven't had my second yet and I'm off to Latitude, not bothered really about it as statistics show I'm not really at risk of it being bad. I was never worried about catching it for me though, so it'll have to be 10 days isolation when I get back whether I'm ill or not to avoid infecting others, then I think the year is over again for me.

I don't think this virus can be got rid of and that these deaths are inevitable at some point. I also think herd immunity is a myth - this variant popped up in one year, the idea that we just jab enough people and its over is laughable.

We either live with it, or we live with restrictions for years and wipe out any industry that needs step 4. Two very bad choices...

Why not order some LTR tests for when you get back? Save you 10 days possibly.

I was at Wembley Sunday so I'm gonna do one in a bit (didn't really have the inclination to shove one up my nose yesterday).

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Yeah but there is a question on how fair is it to enter a building asking you to wear one without one ? 

I am not a big of a c**t as you might imagine 🙂  I do respect peoples requests.

I suspect you'll be out of luck in Sainsbury's as well then, them saying they aren't mandating masks doesn't mean they won't request mask wearing.

I don’t think this nightclub thing is gonna go well unfortunately … they are often dark hot sweaty places with poor ventilation and it’s gonna be too late for them to get any covid app certification in place for 6 days time .. there are going to be some big outbreaks and the govt can then put the blame on clubs ( who are obviously desperate to reopen understandably and will do whatever on sun/mon …. Rates are really gonna rocket and staff will be off sick all over the place …. I feel sorry for staff that are very likely to get it and will have no choice but to work !! What has happened to herd immunity @Toilet Duck is it still possible ? It just seems these rates are just going to keep climbing … 

I honestly think a PR campaign alongside a design of some masks that has wording written on them along the lines of ‘I am wearing this to protect others’ would be a great idea.
It would help to remove any stigma which is sure to come from next week onwards. 

Edited by st dan

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I don’t think this nightclub thing is gonna go well unfortunately … they are often dark hot sweaty places with poor ventilation and it’s gonna be too late for them to get any covid app certification in place for 6 days time .. there are going to be some big outbreaks and the govt can then put the blame on clubs ( who are obviously desperate to reopen understandably and will do whatever on sun/mon …. Rates are really gonna rocket and staff will be off sick all over the place …. I feel sorry for staff that are very likely to get it and will have no choice but to work !! What has happened to herd immunity @Toilet Duck is it still possible ? It just seems these rates are just going to keep climbing … 

Live music the same. I hope there's financial help for the industry for the winter bit I doubt it 

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Nightclubs will be rammed. If anyone on here has had a look at booking outdoor seated clubbing at tables, they are usually sold out as far as the eye can see.

Outdoor seated clubbing sounds amazing actually...

I wonder if any businesses will introduce mask mandates for certain periods, so people can choose to shop during a time they'll feel safer? I haven't heard of anywhere doing that, but it could work.

It's an insult to everyone to have government morally guilt tripping people for not wearing masks but avoiding taking any accountability themselves and putting all the responsibility on businesses. That's really not fair to anyone, no matter where they stand on this.

• Upvote 3

They always said cases were gonna rise as we unlocked and now cases are rising as we unlock and everyone is panicking. I don't get it. Opening is constantly getting pushed down the road by some on here even tho they said they supported the one month delay and said we should open in July. Did you expect cases to be dropping by now?

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

I wonder if any businesses will introduce mask mandates for certain periods, so people can choose to shop during a time they'll feel safer? I haven't heard of anywhere doing that, but it could work.

I could maybe see cinemas doing this, given the multiple screenings per day and the fact they need as many people through the door as possible nowadays. Giving non-mask wearers and mask wearers the option to choose a 'restricted' screening or not might get a few more wary people on board with going again.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, st dan said:

The phrase ‘pissing in the wind’ comes to mind for shops that are going to try and encourage masks from next week. Going to lead to confrontation and intimidation of staff members, which is something they just shouldn’t be expected to deal with. 

Shops barely challenge anyone now, no retail staff are going to get involved in a fight once they are only encouraged. There will be signs up and that's it.

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It's an insult to everyone to have government morally guilt tripping people for not wearing masks but avoiding taking any accountability themselves and putting all the responsibility on businesses. That's really not fair to anyone, no matter where they stand on this.

That’s not a bad idea, maybe make it at the end of the day or something when it tends to be quieter anyway?

I reckon the majority will still wear masks when shopping though so it might not be as much of a problem. 

2 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I could maybe see cinemas doing this, given the multiple screenings per day and the fact they need as many people through the door as possible nowadays. Giving non-mask wearers and mask wearers the option to choose a 'restricted' screening or not might get a few more wary people on board with going again.

Such a good idea. Could stretch to other events too

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

They always said cases were gonna rise as we unlocked and now cases are rising as we unlock and everyone is panicking. I don't get it. Opening is constantly getting pushed down the road by some on here even tho they said they supported the one month delay and said we should open in July. Did you expect cases to be dropping by now?

I think it's a little deeper than just freaking out about case numbers, honestly. So many people have got used to restrictions and moulded their life differently, that now lifting them and going back to (at least some sort of) old way feels intimidating and a shock to the system. I don't feel that way, but I get why psychologically many people are reacting like this.

3 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I think it's a little deeper than just freaking out about case numbers, honestly. So many people have got used to restrictions and moulded their life differently, that now lifting them and going back to (at least some sort of) old way feels intimidating and a shock to the system. I don't feel that way, but I get why psychologically many people are reacting like this.

It’s very natural for people to be feeling anxious about the reopening especially with little baseline protections in place. As you say some people have got used to how things are with restrictions so to loosen things completely with the prevalence of the virus is understandable. You can sense some in government have also been spooked by the recent data too.