When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, Havors said:

Actual positive tests or just because so many isolating? Year 5 & 6 in my daughters school have finished for the year now as they had over half the year isolating because of a couple of positive tests.

Don't know, just had a group text from my brother in law.  I guess enough positive tests to effectively put most of the school into isolation.

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Sorry, but what absolute rubbish.

I could detail why but you would not believe it anyway.

The blind are certainly leading you well young man.

So I’m blind for not blindly accepting the results of one poll?

5 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Sorry, but what absolute rubbish.

I could detail why but you would not believe it anyway.

The blind are certainly leading you well young man.

You cant deny that polls are not always accurate though.... they are weighted etc but the people deciding the weighting arent always correct. 

They do often give a good impression, but there is no harm in being skeptical 

21 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So I’m blind for not blindly accepting the results of one poll?

I could also post the results of numerous other polls but given your response to me and others you will not believe them anyway.

If you choose to take the 'blind' comment to be connected to polls then you may, it was not. It was connected to how your entire thought process on here is coming out.

As I said, I could go into loads of details but cannot be bothered as, as you proved on Saturday, you ignore what is written and read things that are not there at all.

20 minutes ago, Havors said:

You cant deny that polls are not always accurate though.... they are weighted etc but the people deciding the weighting arent always correct. 

They do often give a good impression, but there is no harm in being skeptical 

There is skeptical and then there is blindly ignoring the results of all polls based on things you have unilaterally decided to be fact - I refer to the post I replied to.

There are clearly a lot of people out there who are content with how things are cause at this point their life isn’t really impacted.

If you’re a retired guy in your 60s who doesn’t holiday abroad and main hobbies are golf and gardening and going out for dinner then you’re absolutely fine with how things are. 

Whereas for me my two fave things are going abroad and going to gigs, both of which are fucked for now.

4 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

There is skeptical and then there is blindly ignoring the results of all polls based on things you have unilaterally decided to be fact - I refer to the post I replied to.

But I’m not blindly rejecting them I’m challenging them?

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The one released at the weekend polled 50,000 people - mostly done by researchers out and about.

Over 50% thought current restrictions should remain and only 23% thought stage 4 should happen on the 19th July.

Is that enough people for you or would you prefer to hand pick those who are asked?

It would appear my social group are far from representative in that case. I haven't spoken to anyone that wants current restrictions to be kept beyond 19th July. 

It does seem that a majority of people want the government to be more cautious and keep certain baseline level controls in place such as face masks etc going by recent polling which might explain why we are now hearing more cautious type of comments from the government.  

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

But I’m not blindly rejecting them I’m challenging them?

Really? You could have fooled me. Here are the statements you made, no question marks in any of them:

""No it’s just that polls are typically way off unless they are conducted on a mass scale with a crazy amount of resources (like the BBC exit poll) and conducted in a way in which they ask people what they actually voted for rather than what they might vote for.""

and

""The problem I have with polls is even the ones they claim have a diverse sample size aren’t exactly diverse at all. For one they seem to only monitor the views of people actually interested in taking the poll as a start. And those interested in taking the poll seem to all vote in a specific way. ""

and

""They ask people who they know will skew the results in a particular direction. ""

None of this is challenging polls, all of it is you saying they are wrong and are delibratly skewed. It seems to me as reader to be a blind refusal to accept the results of something you do not agree with.

15 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It was always going to attract attention but I didn't see WHO pipe up when Argentina fans celebrated their Copa America win on Saturday night, the exact same thing

Edited by andyrhodes24

I guess we find out later this week what the numbers do ? … hopefully it won’t be so much more than we already have as the euros didn’t just happen last night … although I’d say there will be some transmission around last night … wait it out time again 

20 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Whatevers nerds

Maria DeJoseph Van Kerkhove is an American infectious disease epidemiologist. With a background in high-threat pathogens, Van Kerkhove specializes in emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases and is based in the Health Emergencies Program at the World Health Organization (WHO). She is the technical lead of COVID-19 response and the head of emerging diseases and zoonosis unit at WHO.

From 2000 to 2005, Van Kerkhove was a senior epidemiologist at Exponent's health sciences practice in New York City. After this, she worked as an epidemiologist at the Institut Pasteur de Cambodia (2006–2008), while conducting field studies on H5N1 for her Ph.D.

Van Kerkhove was a senior research fellow in the Medical Research Council Centre for Outbreak Analysis and Modelling at Imperial College London from 2009 to 2015. She specialized in Ebola, influenza, meningitis, MERS-CoV, and yellow fever. In April 2009, she began working as a technical consultant to the World Health Organization (WHO) in its Global Capacities, Alert and Response Cluster. In 2013, she was a technical consultant for WHO as a member of the MERS-CoV task force.

From 2015 to 2017, Van Kerkhove was the head of the Outbreak Investigation Task Force at the Institut Pasteur’s Center for Global Health, conducting field research into surrounding zoonoses, respiratory viruses and emerging/re-emerging viruses such as Zika, MERS-CoV, Ebola and Marburg. She specialized in field research to gather data on the highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N1 (HPAI/H5N1), with a focus on transmission risk from poultry to humans.

Van Kerkhove has been an honorary lecturer at Imperial College London since 2015. She has been Scientist, Technical Lead MERS-CoV at WHO in Geneva, Switzerland, since March 2017. As part of her work with WHO, Van Kerkhove appears in regular press conferences by WHO regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. Van Kerkhove has provided answers to common questions about the pandemic. Van Kerkhove spent two weeks in China in February 2020 to better understand the COVID-19 outbreak and to understand how China was trying to control the virus.

Yeah, whatever nerd! Eng-er-land!!

Edited by kalifire

11 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

It was always going to attract attention but I didn't see WHO pipe up when Argentina fans celebrated their Copa America win on Saturday night, the exact same thing

they celebtrated across Argentina though, right? Not 10s of thousands in one small area? There were only 7000 mostly Brazil fans allowed in the actual stadium to watch.

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I guess we find out later this week what the numbers do ? … hopefully it won’t be so much more than we already have as the euros didn’t just happen last night … although I’d say there will be some transmission around last night … wait it out time again 

If its mental numbers Thursday it'd be interesting to see what pressure they'll be under to delay

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

If its mental numbers Thursday it'd be interesting to see what pressure they'll be under to delay

Maybe the drops from other nations will counteract the overall increase from England … it’s just 1 match ? How much damage can that do ?!   Possibly quite a bit …. But most will have been attending the stadium with negative test results it’s just everything else that surrounds it 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

they celebtrated across Argentina though, right? Not 10s of thousands in one small area? There were only 7000 mostly Brazil fans allowed in the actual stadium to watch.

It looked rammed here in Buenos Aires but there's a few masks floating about in this report which did surprise me. The football will be lightning rod for attention but it won't be the only cause of unauthorised mass gatherings, just an easy target whether it's legal or not

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Maybe the drops from other nations will counteract the overall increase from England … it’s just 1 match ? How much damage can that do ?!   Possibly quite a bit …. But most will have been attending the stadium with negative test results it’s just everything else that surrounds it 

I think the main thing will be the bits surrounding it like you say - the parties, pubs etc. Yeah some transmission at the game and around it but I'd still maintain that's not as bad, pretty ventilated in the concourses with them being pretty big at Wembley, and the outside bit watching the game would be fine. I think it's the collective side of it around the country

And if they're looking for a way out that would be the perfect excuse. If not I reckon come end of parliamentary recess we'll be treated like naughty kids who went wild in our summer holidays