When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

43 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think what we can agree on is I don’t actually have a problem with vaccine passports. I think they will become essential if anyone is travelling to a country with a bad infection rate and low vaccine up take.

I think what we can also agree on is that measures which will make things seriously hard for mass gatherings to go ahead should be rejected if possible. 

My concern at the moment is this "personal responsibility" - "expected" to wear a mask in crowded spaces, labour calling for "social distancing where possible" and PHE advisor telling us to be careful with our social contacts, all on one morning's news 

Personal responsibility (and corporate) under those settings is to not put those events on in the first place if you follow the logic through. I'd still be shocked if we get through the winter without them being shut down.

I just feel they know the NHS is fucked and they'll likely need to reimpose restrictions in winter so they're setting it up so they can blame the public for not being responsible enough if their gamble doesn't pay off

I honestly think we'll be back to rule of 6 and no events for winter. And people will just take it (even ask for it) and blame the unvaccinated and unmasked like good little citizens. Probably a little bit of blame for the festivals and gigs that do manage to go ahead too, given the general public opinion towards them anyway 

Edited by efcfanwirral

55 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Face coverings to remain in some indoor settings by law in Wales.

It seems such an obvious move for the whole of the UK but sadly in England we have this dumpster fire of a Tory government running things. 

It's easy to say when your not the person who's business is impacted by it though isnt it? 

Why is it ok, to wear masks for the sake of others but it's selfish to support opening up despite the benefits to others?

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I think what we can agree on is I don’t actually have a problem with vaccine passports. I think they will become essential if anyone is travelling to a country with a bad infection rate and low vaccine up take.

I think what we can also agree on is that measures which will make things seriously hard for mass gatherings to go ahead should be rejected if possible. 

Mass gatherings with certification that covers tests, immunity or vaccination should be easy - as all 3 are on the NHS app and can be scanned on entry with a QR code so little or no hold up as they have to scan tickets anyway.

I would rather they did not have to but given a choice of no event or this then I choose this every time.

21 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

It's easy to say when your not the person who's business is impacted by it though isnt it? 

Why is it ok, to wear masks for the sake of others but it's selfish to support opening up despite the benefits to others?

I want to know when it was decided masks can save us from covid. We been using them for over a year now and it's never stopped a wave. Like masks or no masks on the 19th is going to make any real difference...

Now if they issued everyone free FFP3 masks or whatever one was proven to work. Then that's a different matter. 

All this palaver over useless masks is tiresome now.

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

I want to know when it was decided masks can save us from covid. We been using them for over a year now and it's never stopped a wave. Like masks or no masks on the 19th is going to make any real difference...

Now if they issued everyone free FFP3 masks or whatever one was proven to work. Then that's a different matter. 

The biggest problem is the original lack of supply of IIR masks and telling people it was good enough to make their own and now a lot of people are still wearing single layer fabric masks which do fuck all. 
If everyone wore 3 ply fluid resistant masks it would have had more of an impact. 
And don’t get me started on people wearing those plastic visors, might as well use a tennis racquet as an umbrella. 

3 minutes ago, Havors said:

Face masks with other measures help stop the spread, and some masks are better than others. But even cloth ones help stop you spreading it to someone else. If there is one mitigation we are going to keep surely masks in some public inside place is the easiest. Would be good if better masks were widely available and cheap/free...

17 minutes ago, Havors said:

Masks aren’t very effective unless there’s widespread compliance, but if most people wear them, they can help to stop transmission and infection and even the severity of symptoms.

Here’s a summary. Bit lengthy, but it’ll help clarify things:  https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

Edited by kalifire
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Havors said:

This is one of my pet peeves that I've avoided mentioning for about a week so it's roughly time. Masks do work, but the messaging in this country surrounding them is so awful as to be near useless.

Very approximately speaking (with a more accurate and detailed summary here)- Respirator masks (of which FFP3 is the top level) absolutely do protect both the wearer and the people around them. Surgical masks (of which IIR is the top grade) protect the people around you.

There's three problems with this though - Firstly that the above relies on the masks being fitted and handled correctly which isn't always the casse. Secondly that it also relies on the masks meeting the standards to be labelled as such and there's a lot of fakes/non-compliant ones around at the moment.

But really the biggest issue is that the Government have been actively avoiding the conversation about what types of face coverings are effective in order to "simplify" the message. As a result there's still a lot of people (I reckon about 40% around here, it may vary in other areas) using Fabric masks which can't be assumed to provide any protection at all and often aren't worth shit.

It's especially annoyed me recently to see people (not on here, but in the wider world) make a point of saying that they're going to continue wearing a mask because they "respect others". Except that I can see they're wearing a Fabric mask, so they're mainly wearing it to feel superior.

Edited by incident

8 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Masks aren’t very effective unless there’s widespread compliance, but if most people wear them, they can help to stop transmission and infection and even the severity of symptoms.

Here’s a summary. Bit lengthy, but it’ll help clarify things:  https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

Masks have been required here for ages in certain settings and compliance has been fairly high - other than those who have deemed themselves exempt. Maybe nobody bothered to tell the virus mask wearers were off limits.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

This is one of my pet peeves that I've avoided mentioning for about a week so it's roughly time. Masks do work, but the messaging in this country surrounding them is so awful as to be near useless.

Very approximately speaking (with a more accurate and detailed summary here)- Respirator masks (of which FFP3 is the top level) absolutely do protect both the wearer and the people around them. Surgical masks (of which IIR is the top grade) protect the people around you.

There's three problems with this though - Firstly that the above relies on the masks being fitted and handled correctly which isn't always the casse. Secondly that it also relies on the masks meeting the standards to be labelled as such and there's a lot of fakes/ around at the moment.

But really the biggest issue is that the Government have been actively avoiding the conversation about what types of face coverings are effective in order to "simplify" the message. As a result there's still a lot of people (I reckon about 40% around here, it may vary in other areas) using Fabric masks which can't be assumed to provide any protection at all and often aren't worth shit.

It's especially annoyed me recently to see people (not on here, but in the wider world) make a point of saying that they're going to continue wearing a mask because they "respect others". Except that I can see they're wearing a Fabric mask, so they're mainly wearing it to feel superior.

Don't most people wear a mask (of any sort) to comply with the rules?

17 minutes ago, Havors said:

I want to know when it was decided masks can save us from covid.

That happened in 1878 when Captain Phlegm spotted that when you cough, sneeze, shout etc., an as-yet-unnamed substance was released.  The fact that you're referring to FFPwhatever masks indicates that, despite a year of TV presenters patiently trying to explain it to you, the ball still hasn't got over the net: face covering are to protect everyone else - not the wearer.  A simple cloth barrier will catch some droplets.  If I'm at the infectious stage of Covid/influenza/TB/whatever then me coughing in your face would generally be deemed a bad thing to do, and even you would, given the choice, prefer there were a thin cotton barrier between us.  No, it's not a guarantee (because aerosols aren't attenuated by face coverings) but being saved from at least some of the virus-rich droplets going straight into your eyes/nose/mouth will definitely reduce the chance of you being infected.  That's never been in any dispute throughout this pandemic - only shrouded in fog by people who are grimly determined to ignore the "they're not for personal protection" and "they're not for aerosols"  facts.

No need to reply though - help is on its way.  We're nearly at the crack of 2.30pm, so Barrie Fish will be having his cornflakes and getting ready for another 24 hour online marathon pulling off that tricky balancing act: convincing everyone he's got a job and is a devoted father to his poor mask-traumatised daughter whilst spending the entire day online telling his opinion to strangers.  He's a trooper.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Masks have been required here for ages in certain settings and compliance has been fairly high - other than those who have deemed themselves exempt. Maybe nobody bothered to tell the virus mask wearers were off limits.

Presumably you didn’t bother looking at the link in my post. The science is in. Masks are effective with high compliance. 

Edited by kalifire

1 hour ago, The Toxic Avenger said:

No need to reply though - help is on its way.  We're nearly at the crack of 2.30pm, so Barrie Fish will be having his cornflakes and getting ready for another 24 hour online marathon pulling off that tricky balancing act: convincing everyone he's got a job and is a devoted father to his poor mask-traumatised daughter whilst spending the entire day online telling his opinion to strangers.  He's a trooper.

His poor ‘daughter’. Tommy Tadpole is such an example.

1 hour ago, The Toxic Avenger said:

😂😂

2 hours ago, The Toxic Avenger said:

That happened in 1878 when Captain Phlegm spotted that when you cough, sneeze, shout etc., an as-yet-unnamed substance was released.  The fact that you're referring to FFPwhatever masks indicates that, despite a year of TV presenters patiently trying to explain it to you, the ball still hasn't got over the net: face covering are to protect everyone else - not the wearer.  A simple cloth barrier will catch some droplets.  If I'm at the infectious stage of Covid/influenza/TB/whatever then me coughing in your face would generally be deemed a bad thing to do, and even you would, given the choice, prefer there were a thin cotton barrier between us.  No, it's not a guarantee (because aerosols aren't attenuated by face coverings) but being saved from at least some of the virus-rich droplets going straight into your eyes/nose/mouth will definitely reduce the chance of you being infected.  That's never been in any dispute throughout this pandemic - only shrouded in fog by people who are grimly determined to ignore the "they're not for personal protection" and "they're not for aerosols"  facts.

😂

15 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Presumably you didn’t bother looking at the link in my post. The science is in. Masks are effective with high compliance. 

Wrap up warm it must be cold on that lofty perch of yours. 

Compliance with the rules would appear to be high where I live... Didn't stop it being top of the charts for a while during the pandemic. 

In the fullness of time I suspect socio-economic similarities of the badly effected areas will far outweigh the mask compliance anecdotes.