When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Govt ministers now saying that public should continue to wear masks indoors. 

Apparently Javid is now saying “and if someone is not doing that, frankly, they’re just being irresponsible, they’re not playing their role as a responsible citizen”, which rather overlooks the role of the government to govern responsibly (i.e. not make grand gestures towards ending all restrictions when it's not obvious the science backs that up).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Who and where ? Maybe they have seen public opinion on it and about turned ? 

Yes, I think that's exactly what it is. The Tories are only interested in power. if the votes lead in a certain direction, they'll follow and exploit. It's got little to do with public health.

26 minutes ago, foolee said:

This isn't good for the events industry. Going to a gig with a mask won't be a fun experience.

This is exactly what people are wishing in though with their nervousness to drop all restrictions. The events industry that we know and love will be totally dead. 

27 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Apparently Javid is now saying “and if someone is not doing that, frankly, they’re just being irresponsible, they’re not playing their role as a responsible citizen”, which rather overlooks the role of the government to govern responsibly (i.e. not make grand gestures towards ending all restrictions when it's not obvious the science backs that up).

Zahawi saying it too.

36 minutes ago, foolee said:

This isn't good for the events industry. Going to a gig with a mask won't be a fun experience.

Maybe they will just mandate them for shops and public transport ? As that seems to be where most of the support for them seems to lie … we will see tomorow I guess … 

19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This is exactly what people are wishing in though with their nervousness to drop all restrictions. The events industry that we know and love will be totally dead. 

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Maybe they will just mandate them for shops and public transport ? As that seems to be where most of the support for them seems to lie … we will see tomorow I guess … 

and this is why certification by vaccination, negative test or recent infection is the only sensible way forward.

Test events where they bothered to collect data proved this and other countries around the world have done so too.

Another example of an obvious easy solution being ignored by our pathetic government.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Most obvious solution is just for masks to be advised in shops and on public transport as those are places people can't avoid. Gigs, cinemas, clubs etc all optional so people can choose to take the risk. Testing would help too but a lot of money and hassle if happening for every single event.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Most obvious solution is just for masks to be advised in shops and on public transport as those are places people can't avoid. Gigs, cinemas, clubs etc all optional so people can choose to take the risk. Testing would help too but a lot of money and hassle if happening for every single event.

That's basically what pre-mass vaccination normality looks like here. Masks are mandated (not just advised) on public transport and in shops. Everywhere else, it's at the discretion of the individual. That seems to be the sweet spot that most people follow (you always get the people who refuse, but they're very much the minority).

What the state government here didn't do was send mixed messages, do u-turns and basically fuck up the communication as has happened in the UK. If the government are saying citizens are irresponsible not to wear masks in particular situations, it follows that the government are irresponsible not to mandate it in those situations.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

http://chng.it/J9wC4GRJKf

Hey guys, one my sister’s has recently given birth and the baby has been sent to a Special Care Unit but due to COVID rules the parents can’t be together all the time. If anyone fancies signing the petition above I’d be appreciative. 

Ridiculous rules with zero common sense. Like the, you can only catch covid if you're standing up nonsense. 

Signed 

• Like 1

Sat on a train and just watched football fans get on a train on the opposite platform to head to London. Rammed, standing room only. Mask usage probably about 10%.

It's absolutely over for a huge amount of people now, whether 'we' like it or not. The personal responsibility angle isn't going to wash with people who've barely put up with wearing one for the past year.

24 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Sat on a train and just watched football fans get on a train on the opposite platform to head to London. Rammed, standing room only. Mask usage probably about 10%.

It's absolutely over for a huge amount of people now, whether 'we' like it or not. The personal responsibility angle isn't going to wash with people who've barely put up with wearing one for the past year.

Football geezers aren't going to be wearing masks.

I have been double vaccinated and am over 60yrs so will take necessary precautions- if I am in crowded places/tents/ transport  inside then will probably mask up still whilst cases still rocketing. My colleagues sister is a teacher, been double jabbed and still got COVID and is poorly, her husband has cancer too but treatment delayed due to backlog. My friend had it back in January and still gets painful breathing when doing exercise and he was fit and healthy. If you take responsibility for yourself to mitigate infection then others benefit too but there are no guarantees with this thing unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Face coverings to remain in some indoor settings by law in Wales.

It seems such an obvious move for the whole of the UK but sadly in England we have this dumpster fire of a Tory government running things. 

Johnson was under pressure from his own backbenchers though, and masks have become an emblem of state control which upsets the libertarians so much.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

and this is why certification by vaccination, negative test or recent infection is the only sensible way forward.

Test events where they bothered to collect data proved this and other countries around the world have done so too.

Another example of an obvious easy solution being ignored by our pathetic government.

I think what we can agree on is I don’t actually have a problem with vaccine passports. I think they will become essential if anyone is travelling to a country with a bad infection rate and low vaccine up take.

I think what we can also agree on is that measures which will make things seriously hard for mass gatherings to go ahead should be rejected if possible. 

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Johnson was under pressure from his own backbenchers though, and masks have become an emblem of state control which upsets the libertarians so much.

Just like Cameron under pressure from his own backbenchers called the EU referendum then look what happened. There’s a theme here…