When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

37 minutes ago, Simsy said:

My sister's been told by her work that because it's only "guidance" from the app to isolate, they are expected to still go into work if they get pinged.

She can work from home, and has been during previous lockdowns. There's no need for her to be in the office, but she still has to go in if she's pinged unless she actually has symptoms.

I find it weird how some companies are using the pandemic changes to move forward with more flexible ways of working, and others are sticking with the old fashioned "you must be in the office because we don't trust you".

Wow thats horrendous. She should consider leaving!

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

FTFY

Ok, so you delay it an extra fee weeks. You have people who still aren't jabbed, or who still aren't second jabbed so you wait another 3 weeks... For them to be at full protection... It just keeps snow balling. Those most at risk have had more than ample opportunity to get double jabbed and get up to full protection (plus some will be getting boosters soon) there really isn't a lot more than can be done. 

7 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Ok, so you delay it an extra fee weeks. You have people who still aren't jabbed, or who still aren't second jabbed so you wait another 3 weeks... For them to be at full protection... It just keeps snow balling. Those most at risk have had more than ample opportunity to get double jabbed and get up to full protection (plus some will be getting boosters soon) there really isn't a lot more than can be done. 

They'll always want a reason to delay it. We just need to crack on now. Get the exit wave over and done with.

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

My sister's been told by her work that because it's only "guidance" from the app to isolate, they are expected to still go into work if they get pinged.

She can work from home, and has been during previous lockdowns. There's no need for her to be in the office, but she still has to go in if she's pinged unless she actually has symptoms.

I find it weird how some companies are using the pandemic changes to move forward with more flexible ways of working, and others are sticking with the old fashioned "you must be in the office because we don't trust you".

Is it just poorly constructed communication? 

Rather than saying you must go into the office if you are pinged is it not more likely to mean keep working if you are pinged sickness / stat sick pay only comes into effect if you are showing symptoms?

It is only guidance from the app and some of the blue light services are encouraging their staff to disable the contact tracing due to issues staffing shifts.

1 hour ago, jimmillen said:

Wow, really? Is that, like, official from HR or what her manager’s said?

I’d be astonished if any employer was officially going on the record telling employees to ignore the app. Mind you, wouldn’t be the daftest thing a company ever did…

Senior management apparently.

After Bojo's speech last march telling everyone to WFH she was told she had to go to the office the next day (even though she had a laptop and could work from home) because they needed to discuss in person what the team were going to do. Her company are just taking the piss.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

They'll always want a reason to delay it. We just need to crack on now. Get the exit wave over and done with.

I'm fully expecting at somepoint I'm going to catch Covid - and it's entirely possible that I'm going to feel pretty shitty if I catch it. As of next week I'm going to be double jabbed at that point it's just a case of hoping my body can fight off the virus like it is with everything else. 

Science has just boosted all of our chances. 

We aren't going to be able to put this thing back in the bottle. Just have to accept that. 

3 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Senior management apparently.

After Bojo's speech last march telling everyone to WFH she was told she had to go to the office the next day (even though she had a laptop and could work from home) because they needed to discuss in person what the team were going to do. Her company are just taking the piss.

It sounds it, to say she has to go into the office when alerted by the app is an awful way for the business to handle things. She can WFH so why not just let her and take all the risk out of it?

38 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I wonder how accurate this is?

Can't believe people are still talking about zero covid. EVEN if the vaccine was sterilising, that would mean permanent restrictions and no international travel for anyone ever. Completely unrealistic- born out of the time people assumed it was a sterilising vaccine

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Considering how many are on a knife edge revenue wise, that extra cost could cause a big problem. 

Agreed. Also what's the justification? By autumn everyone that's getting a vaccine will have had it. If we have restrictions this winter, we accept that we'll have them forever more. 

29 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Can't believe people are still talking about zero covid. EVEN if the vaccine was sterilising, that would mean permanent restrictions and no international travel for anyone ever. Completely unrealistic- born out of the time people assumed it was a sterilising vaccine

Well it's partly sterilising.  But I agree that zero covid isn't possible now.

47 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

How much work is it really to flash a pass?  Will mean every pub will need someone on the door.  Not sure how realistic that is 

Or just a scanner thing at the door to scan before you come in as a 'Trust ' thing. Restaraunts and gigs will be easier.

4 hours ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Given that you can still catch it when your jabbed why don't we call it what it is? 

'We can't stop you getting the virus, we have via vaccination equipped your body the best we can to fight this off - good luck and have your lives back - it's this or your locked up forever'

There is a huge space between 'locked up forever' and no controls whatsoever. There is space for the govt to issue strong guidelines on behaviour but they have chosen not to do this and just  to wash their hands of it all now. I hope it works, truly I do, but I have more than a few doubts. 

21 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

This made me laugh 😂 (it's the little things that keep you sane..)

I forgot about that. He's definitely consistently very committed to making himself look like an idiot to fool people that he's harmless! 

Edited by efcfanwirral

3 hours ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

This “it would just keep going” argument doesn’t hold true. I agree in principle that we shouldn’t wait around for people who’ve been offered a jab but haven’t taken one, however the target is for everyone over 18 to have been offered a first jab by July 19th.

We could wait for those with one jab to get their second, given the protection is significantly stronger at that point. It would be a one time wait of a few short weeks and result in a population as protected as they could be, instead of gambling with the health and potentially lives of millions who are now subjected to this unfortunate “if you don’t like it, stay at home” selfishness. 

Most of us hoped that a return to normality might be marked by something resembling care for others. Some (the minority) of voices in this thread confirm that sadly it will take more than a global pandemic to be rid of the more toxic attitudes in society. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, kalifire said:

This “it would just keep going” argument doesn’t hold true. I agree in principle that we shouldn’t wait around for people who’ve been offered a jab but haven’t taken one, however the target is for everyone over 18 to have been offered a first jab by July 19th.

We could wait for those with one jab to get their second, given the protection is significantly stronger at that point. It would be a one time wait of a few short weeks and result in a population as protected as they could be, instead of gambling with the health and potentially lives of millions who are now subjected to this unfortunate “if you don’t like it, stay at home” selfishness. 

Most of us hoped that a return to normality might be marked by something resembling care for others. Some (the minority) of voices in this thread confirm that sadly it will take more than a global pandemic to be rid of the more toxic attitudes in society. 

Oh get of yohr high horse. They are logical reasons why July 19th is better.

Edited by zahidf