When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 hours ago, Cherry Tree said:

Do you lot have nothing better to do on a Friday night, I am listening to some music suggested elsewhere on this forum, Tomorrow I am volunteering at a vaccine centre because they are short of volunteers because everyone is moving on, want to do something positive get actively involved in ending this shit, like the NHS administrators and vaccinators working weekends.

"What did you do to help during the pandemic Grandad?"

"Called someone on the internet a c**t. Do you want a Werther's Original?"

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Absolutely nothing except peer pressure and personal.morality.

Completely agree, also why would this not include other key workers too? I know schools are using this approach after September but why not now if things are changing quickly and there are potential staff shortages?

I'm due to be going to Latitude in 2 weeks and have been double jabbed, hypothetically if I got pinged by the app what's stopping me from ignoring it and just going anyway because I've been double jabbed? Nothing 

Edited by Chapple12345

My mother was pinged by the app on Thursday. Doing daily LFT’s and did a PCR yesterday - all negative.

Staying in this weekend but not isolating for full duration.

She’s 66 & double jabbed fwiw. It does show that attitudes to self isolation have drastically shifted. She’s now deleted the app.

You cant expect people to follow isolation after they have subsequently tested negative

Its non binding in any meaningful way and a lot of people will be simply unwilling to change their plans particularly if the plans are for their own enjoyment

particularly if the ping itself is questionable at best (ie its from another table outdoors)

the problem is its completely voluntary (not legally binding) and you can actively choose not to have the app or have it but with contact tracing off.

if im informed of someone id been around that genuinely had it then i would isolate but on a whim from a stranger on a maybe from an app that doesnt even narrow down when your exposure was meant to have been…. Its a no from me. Esp as a fully vaccinated plus 3 weeks individual.

Edited by Memory Man
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Given that you can still catch it when your jabbed why don't we call it what it is? 

'We can't stop you getting the virus, we have via vaccination equipped your body the best we can to fight this off - good luck and have your lives back - it's this or your locked up forever'

8 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

particularly if the ping itself is questionable at best (ie its from another table outdoors)

Completely agree, I get confidentiality is needed but I've heard lots of people have been getting notifications from days where they didn't even leave the house so it makes no sense.

As well as this, I know several people recently who have been told to isolate for 3-5 days by it, meaning they've potentially gone a whole week spreading it around if they had caught it. One even did daily tests on his own accord and when they were negative just went around as normal for the 2 additional days as it seemed pointless isolating

We can't gloat about having one of the highest vaccination rates in the world and then keep people isolating after they've been done 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Given that you can still catch it when your jabbed why don't we call it what it is? 

'We can't stop you getting the virus, we have via vaccination equipped some of your bodies the best we can to fight this off - good luck, especially to the millions who would have been better protected if we waited a short time longer, and have your lives back - it's this or some restrictions would remain for a few weeks for the benefit of the most number of people'

FTFY

39 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Last day of isolation for my kids class today.  None of the other kids tested positive at any point and the teacher didn't have to isolate.

What a wasted 10 days. 

Sounds like a made up story 😉

Edited by kalifire
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

So 2 days until the decision on freedom day. Is Boris going to bottle it because of a few nervous nerds? 

Boris will do whatever he thinks is in his best political interest, of course. This is not a man who makes principled decisions. 

1 hour ago, Chapple12345 said:

Completely agree, also why would this not include other key workers too? I know schools are using this approach after September but why not now if things are changing quickly and there are potential staff shortages?

I'm due to be going to Latitude in 2 weeks and have been double jabbed, hypothetically if I got pinged by the app what's stopping me from ignoring it and just going anyway because I've been double jabbed? Nothing 

Back from my lakes trip today and I'm pretty much in 10 days isolation to make sure I don't test positive for Latitude (1 jab).Will probably be the most strict I've been since the very start, we're doing food deliveries and everything it's so important to us! 

19 minutes ago, zahidf said:

So 2 days until the decision on freedom day. Is Boris going to bottle it because of a few nervous nerds? 

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/10/boris-johnson-may-tone-down-freedom-rhetoric-amid-reopening-jitters "spooked" apparently. Maybe a roll back on masks on transport/essential shops? Realistically they'd be back in a couple of months anyway, though perhaps taking them away now means they can be seen to "do" something for the winter months without actually damaging the economy too much 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

Its non binding in any meaningful way and a lot of people will be simply unwilling to change their plans particularly if the plans are for their own enjoyment

My sister's been told by her work that because it's only "guidance" from the app to isolate, they are expected to still go into work if they get pinged.

She can work from home, and has been during previous lockdowns. There's no need for her to be in the office, but she still has to go in if she's pinged unless she actually has symptoms.

I find it weird how some companies are using the pandemic changes to move forward with more flexible ways of working, and others are sticking with the old fashioned "you must be in the office because we don't trust you".

14 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Back from my lakes trip today and I'm pretty much in 10 days isolation to make sure I don't test positive for Latitude (1 jab).Will probably be the most strict I've been since the very start, we're doing food deliveries and everything it's so important to us! 

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/10/boris-johnson-may-tone-down-freedom-rhetoric-amid-reopening-jitters "spooked" apparently. Maybe a roll back on masks on transport/essential shops? Realistically they'd be back in a couple of months anyway, though perhaps taking them away now means they can be seen to "do" something for the winter months without actually damaging the economy too much 

Masks on transport seems like such a no brainer. As is masks in supermarkets, I'm amazed that's not staying in. But even that article said July 19th not going ahead would be 'political suicide'

Imagine on Monday "Well done/bad luck at the footie! BTW, freedom day ain't happening..."

Can't see it.

38 minutes ago, zahidf said:

No he won’t, there’s no noise that he’ll postpone any further which is generally a fair indication. 

2 minutes ago, Simsy said:

My sister's been told by her work that because it's only "guidance" from the app to isolate, they are expected to still go into work if they get pinged.

She can work from home, and has been during previous lockdowns. There's no need for her to be in the office, but she still has to go in if she's pinged unless she actually has symptoms.

Wow, really? Is that, like, official from HR or what her manager’s said?

I’d be astonished if any employer was officially going on the record telling employees to ignore the app. Mind you, wouldn’t be the daftest thing a company ever did…

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

No he won’t, there’s no noise that he’ll postpone any further which is generally a fair indication. 

Yeah I've not seen any indication of that. Just a few hints in the guardian, and even that seems to be saying he should but isn't going to 

Just now, jimmillen said:

Wow, really? Is that, like, official from HR or what her manager’s said?

I’d be astonished if any employer was officially going on the record telling employees to ignore the app. Mind you, wouldn’t be the daftest thing a company ever did…

That's a blatant health and safety risk and if anyone caught Covid, they could sue the company for saying that.

22 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I find it weird how some companies are using the pandemic changes to move forward with more flexible ways of working, and others are sticking with the old fashioned "you must be in the office because we don't trust you".

That’s awful, I hope she can get that issue rectified especially as she can work from home!