When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

When you think about that - its fucking crazy...

Surely if there is a point to doing self isolation then that point applies more to a health worker than anyone else in society given the job and risks.

Fucking crazy is what this government does so it fits in with the rest of the mantra and lack of thought.

6 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah I think my point was a bit lost in that - less saying we should stay locked up and more along the lines of we really need this variant fear in the media to stop. If a bad one comes up there's literally nothing we can do about it and while I'd expect plans in place from the top, scaring the public daily with potential bad ones isn't going to help anyone when there are no restrictions to mitigate them. We only need to know at the point there is a confirmed issue (if that happens)

Ah, OK yeah I misunderstood - my bad.

• Upvote 1

image.thumb.png.2c2cdca2fb5c33875426c81f15550dc1.png

Granted it’s only 3 counties to compare with, but an interesting graph nonetheless. Guess it goes some way to explain why our cases as so much higher than these are currently reporting. 
Not to go all Trump, but obviously it’s a case of the more you test the more cases you’ll find.

Edited by st dan

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Granted it’s only 3 counties to compare with, but an interesting graph nonetheless. Guess it goes some way to explain why our cases as so much higher than these are currently reporting. 

Weird labelling - why are UK & Italy “tests performed” v France & Japan “people tested”? 

Assume they mean the same thing but if so why not use the same terminology? 

Sorry, will rein in my inner data pedant now… 😂

1 minute ago, jimmillen said:

Weird labelling - why are UK & Italy “tests performed” v France & Japan “people tested”? 

I don't know if this is the correct answer or not - but just in terms of taking the words on face value, it could be that in the UK and Italy one person could theoretically have had more than one test in a given day, whereas in France and Japan that'd be logged as a single entry?

Though that's a minor enough difference it won't impact the figures more than a percentage or two.

Do feel for the NHS staff, they are probably feeling pretty drained as outlined in this article and concerned for the months ahead....

Whilst I am pretty confident that it won't get overwhelemed, we need to respect the fact these people are not robots.

‘Dread and anxiety’ among NHS staff as Covid cases surge again

1 hour ago, st dan said:

Not to go all Trump, but obviously it’s a case of the more you test the more cases you’ll find.

Maybe the other countries do not have the people with symptoms who go to get tests?

1 hour ago, jimmillen said:

The UK and Italy do more than one test most of the time. Often PCR's are done in pairs just in case and every positive LFT is backed up by a PCR

45 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Do feel for the NHS staff, they are probably feeling pretty drained as outlined in this article and concerned for the months ahead....

Whilst I am pretty confident that it won't get overwhelemed, we need to respect the fact these people are not robots.

‘Dread and anxiety’ among NHS staff as Covid cases surge again

This is only true for a small percentage of staff dealing with covid.

For the vast majority is largely business as usual and many have had a very quiet 18 months.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, chestwig said:

This is only true for a small percentage of staff dealing with covid.

For the vast majority is largely business as usual and many have had a very quiet 18 months.

Staff being pulled away to deal with covid increases pressure on the rest of the staff so that's incorrect.