When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Number in hospital seems to be the most important now and, while a couple of days out, doesn't seem to be going anywhere near January peaks despite "hospitalisations" going up rapidly 

Screenshot_20210708-184229_Chrome.jpg

That’s very good news but given how under-pressure the NHS is it won’t take much more of the admissions we are seeing before things are very difficult (they are already in some areas).

21 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That’s very good news but given how under-pressure the NHS is it won’t take much more of the admissions we are seeing before things are very difficult (they are already in some areas).

When is the NHS not under pressure? It's not designed to have loads of excess capacity (nor should it).

Did you care that it was under pressure every winter? What services are you prepared to lose to fund excess capacity? 

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

When is the NHS not under pressure? It's not designed to have loads of excess capacity (nor should it).

Did you care that it was under pressure every winter? What services are you prepared to lose to fund excess capacity? 

In normal times. Speak to doctors and nurses.

The NHS isn't just a machine. It's a load of human beings, human beings that have been under intense stress and pressure for over a year now. It's not just a case of saying "capacity is X, as long as we're below X, it's fine".

Think of the busiest, most high pressure week you've ever had at work. Now imagine working that week for a year straight. Then just when it comes to an end people start going "nah it's fine, they've shown they can do this, let's keep the pressure up".

I'm not saying that's a reason to stay shut down, or delay reopening or anything like that. But it's may be a reason to think about what you're saying and how you're framing it. It's people, not mechanisms. People can flex, and work extra hours, but only to a point and only for so long.

• Upvote 7

18 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Ready for this comment to age like milk, but with early promising data like this (mixed in with the euros and schools finishing soon) I think we could be in a very good place over the coming months and not as bad as feared. We've been vaccinating under 30s for a while now so surely some immunity must be kicking in for them and as they're the worst effected  group currently this will hopefully help us

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

More modest deceleration in most areas of Manchester. Salford looks like it might be about to go green.

0_July-7-Covid-infection-rates.jpg

0_Greater-Manchester-Thursday-8-July-2021.jpg

Mad how a few weeks ago it was all about Bolton and they were so so high and now they’re the lowest on that list. Hopefully the other regions follow suit.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

We just have to hope that with a full reopening and no restrictions in place that it doesn’t raise that ceiling higher!

Deano keeps telling us that people don’t meet up in groups of more than 6 anyway so shouldn’t be too much of an issue going forward. We’re already at the peak of mixing. 

1 minute ago, BobWillis2 said:

Deano keeps telling us that people don’t meet up in groups of more than 6 anyway so shouldn’t be too much of an issue going forward. We’re already at the peak of mixing. 

Do you ever post to engage in the discussion or just to belittle others’ contribution to the thread?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JB15 said:

Do you ever post to engage in the discussion or just to belittle others’ contribution to the thread?

Bit of both. 

I’ll happy belittle someone that said they hoped I get covid and die though. 

Edited by BobWillis2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

How to make friends an influence people in the early days in a new job !! Or laying down his management style … I wonder if any of those workers in the nhs see him as some kind of person to be hero worshipped like some on here do ?! Maybe they enjoy the overtime !! Or not 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

How to make friends an influence people in the early days in a new job !! Or laying down his management style … I wonder if any of those workers in the nhs see him as some kind of person to be hero worshipped like some on here do ?! Maybe they enjoy the overtime !! Or not 

He was bought in to get restrictions gone...

But.... looking long term, I think its a mistake to see social distancing regulations being implemented as a way to stop high hospital demand. Because it will always be with us or a possibility going forwards

(I don't really give a crap about maths either way)

23 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

We just have to hope that with a full reopening and no restrictions in place that it doesn’t raise that ceiling higher!

I think it may, but as I think other people were getting at, the football has been a pretty good testing ground for a looser regime.

It may surprise a few on here, but I'm occasionally prone to wild outbursts of optimism (you can find me being wrong in my hopeful predictions many times on this thread). So I'm going to predict the next loosening will raise the ceiling, but not by much and then cases will drop. The models are being pessimistic and everything will be fine.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

He was bought in to get restrictions gone...

But.... looking long term, I think its a mistake to see social distancing regulations being implemented as a way to stop high hospital demand. Because it will always be with us or a possibility going forwards

(I don't really give a crap about maths either way)

He was brought in as a health secretary thats his job .....