When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

18 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

A pragmatic and balanced thread 

Very interesting.

Why aren’t more people on the left using this Pandemic to start a campaign for a big increase in NHS Capacity? Rather than trying to prove the Government wrong over something that in reality will find a lot of support? Or trying to ‘win the argument’ on Twitter? Surely if ever there was a time when people could see the benefits this is it? Hello, Labour? Anyone there?

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

It's probably not going to have any spectator's 

Lots of athletes / athletes villages ? I would say it’s asking for trouble ..  but guess we will see in a few weeks time … hope not but can’t see there not being issues with the numbers of people involved 

6 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Very interesting.

Why aren’t more people on the left using this Pandemic to start a campaign for a big increase in NHS Capacity? Rather than trying to prove the Government wrong over something that in reality will find a lot of support? Or trying to ‘win the argument’ on Twitter? Surely if ever there was a time when people could see the benefits this is it? Hello, Labour? Anyone there?

been talking about this already. They can say now NHS needs more funding...I mean, it's a no brainer...but they won't make any actual spending policies till closer to next election.... NHS does need more capacity, and needs loads more money, as does social care, as does loads of other stuff, austerity has fucked so many things, but this money has to come from somewhere...and that's the tricky bit...I'm sure these will be some of the main things fought over leading to next election.

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Lots of athletes / athletes villages ? I would say it’s asking for trouble ..  but guess we will see in a few weeks time … hope not but can’t see there not being issues with the numbers of people involved 

yeah, and they're already arriving, but I thinl they have a very strict testing/quarantining system set up over there. But yeah, could badly backfire...

1 hour ago, MrBarry465 said:

Is that true? Never seen that reported anywhere....

Yep, I think women are more likely to be in "caring" roles (NHS, care homes, childcare etc) and lower paid jobs (like cleaners) where they're more likely to come into contact with the virus. I'm sure I've read that more men were dying but women were more likely to catch it & to get long covid.

Edited to add: I don't like how many times I've written "more likely" there, but CBA to change it.

Edited by Simsy

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Have a blast! Dancing in 30c sunshine in a 17th century fortress. Tremendous. Some great names amongst the headliners in there. Rave safe and report back! With pictures so we can live vicariously through you!

Loved it there in 2012/13. Beautiful site for it

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Is that 10% (soon to be 0%) really such a dramatic discrepancy worth banging on about every time Johnson opens his gob.

Has it fed through to much better outcomes relative to those other countries slightly behind? 

Germany aside it seems that these countries are about 5 weeks behind us in terms of cases & the delta variant so any discrepancy between % of population vaccinated is going to see them actually fare worse than us in their next wave?

38 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Everyone I know around my age doesn't give a fuck

Ah that old chestnut

'everyone I know this.....'

Horses for courses, everyone I know around my age 'early 30's' has a sensible level of concern. Whats your point? 

Edited by MrBarry465

20 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Total disgrace if they cancel it after athletes dedicating years of their lives to training for this moment. Just do it in a bio secure bubble with no fans. 

It's not a disgrace at all.

I'd say the public health of an entire nation (Japan) takes precedence over some clay pigeon shooters don't you?

Have some perspective. 

• Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

been talking about this already. They can say now NHS needs more funding...I mean, it's a no brainer...but they won't make any actual spending policies till closer to next election.... NHS does need more capacity, and needs loads more money, as does social care, as does loads of other stuff, austerity has fucked so many things, but this money has to come from somewhere...and that's the tricky bit...I'm sure these will be some of the main things fought over leading to next election.

My worry is if they don’t seize the agenda now, the Tories will. We’ll pay the price like we did when Labour totally surrendered the narrative over the Financial Crash in 09/10 and years of Austerity followed. 

If they do that they could use it to sink the NHS using the justification that ‘it can’t cope, it isn’t fit for purpose etc’ and sell it off. I’m not 100% saying they will but everything’s up in the air at the minute.

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

My worry is if they don’t seize the agenda now, the Tories will. We’ll pay the price like we did when Labour totally surrendered the narrative over the Financial Crash in 09/10 and years of Austerity followed. 

If they do that they could use it to sink the NHS using the justification that ‘it can’t cope, it isn’t fit for purpose etc’ and sell it off. I’m not 100% saying they will but everything’s up in the air at the minute.

yeah...true...but the tories are so good at winning elections, even if that means just taking opposition policies that are popular...so they could just match labour promises by next election and then labour are left with nothing.

25 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Total disgrace if they cancel it after athletes dedicating years of their lives to training for this moment. Just do it in a bio secure bubble with no fans. 

The only sport I’ve really seen having full success with biosecure bubbles is F1 ? I was gonna say England cricket was doing well but that went to shit lately !! ….  Unfortunately I don’t think it’s going to be quite so easy doing biosecure bubbles because of the international nature of the events .. with athletes and teams mixing 

45 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think any gloating about how much of a population have been vaccinated between countries (or EU) is just kind of shit, and pointless. We've all got to get to the same place as quick as poss, and there's only so much of the stuff out there.

Especially as there really doesn't seem to be that much difference for all the posturing about how much better the UK did it than the EU my best friend from back home in Ireland (same school year) was just a week behind me in getting her 2nd jab and most of my colleagues in Spain including many much younger than me have all had at least the first jab (when I say much younger one is 20 years younger than me!)

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

The only sport I’ve really seen having full success with biosecure bubbles is F1 ? I was gonna say England cricket was doing well but that went to shit lately !! ….  Unfortunately I don’t think it’s going to be quite so easy doing biosecure bubbles because of the international nature of the events .. with athletes and teams mixing 

Cricket haven’t been doing biosecure bubbles this year. Only last summer. 

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Especially as there really doesn't seem to be that much difference for all the posturing about how much better the UK did it than the EU my best friend from back home in Ireland (same school year) was just a week behind me in getting her 2nd jab and most of my colleagues in Spain including many much younger than me have all had at least the first jab (when I say much younger one is 20 years younger than me!)

Also most things have been open in Spain since March.. well in my area they have anyway. Could have a beer inside a bar etc

53 minutes ago, zahidf said:

It's probably not going to have any spectator's 

41 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Yeah if we can continue the Premier league with our issues over winter (I was convinced it'd be delayed a month during January lockdown) they can deliver an Olympics with no spectators.

26 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Ah that old chestnut

'everyone I know this.....'

Horses for courses, everyone I know around my age 'early 30's' has a sensible level of concern. Whats your point? 

Not sure what a sensible level of concern is tbh. For your average 18 y/o a sensible level of concern is to not be concerned.

Just meaning although not everyone is double vaccinated yet I still think we should be pressing on and I reckon a majoirty of younger people think that too.

27 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

It's not a disgrace at all.

I'd say the public health of an entire nation (Japan) takes precedence over some clay pigeon shooters don't you?

Have some perspective. 

Yeah cause that's a really sensible description of what the olympics is and means to people

23 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah...true...but the tories are so good at winning elections, even if that means just taking opposition policies that are popular...so they could just match labour promises by next election and then labour are left with nothing.

Good point

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Not sure what a sensible level of concern is tbh. For your average 18 y/o a sensible level of concern is to not be concerned.

Just meaning although not everyone is double vaccinated yet I still think we should be pressing on and I reckon a majoirty of younger people think that too.

I just think saying 'people don't give a shit' is a bit presumptious is all.

You can have a level of awareness and concern, without resuilting to hysteria and also 'not giving a shit'. To me 'not giving a shit' indicates you are willing to infect other people and just be really careless. I don't know anyone like that, 20 or 30.