When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, BobWillis2 said:

We’re lifting nearly all restrictions in 11 days. 

With massive case numbers and a highly vaccinated population … I’m not sure anyone knows what the result is going to be for the economy … does high case numbers cause hesitancy for some to return to normality ? Does this get outweighed by those desperate to get on with things once more … or do we need everyone spending to get a full bounce back ? The vulnerable to me are still going to be very nervous with high cases … I think the comparisons will be clearer once we have got through this winter 

Just now, xxialac said:

My point was obviously not about the number of lives saved (albeit deaths have been low in the EU everywhere), which is great it was about the lies, the obfuscation plus the embarrassing 'we put one over the foreigners' attitude on here regarding national vaccination programmes in the middle of a pandemic .

I anticipate the level of chest beating and 'getting one over the EU' to ramp up beyond paltaple levels leading into this Sunday and if we win.

Personally, I cannot be assed with a summer of that shite. 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

With massive case numbers and a highly vaccinated population … I’m not sure anyone knows what the result is going to be for the economy … does high case numbers cause hesitancy for some to return to normality ? Does this get outweighed by those desperate to get on with things once more … or do we need everyone spending to get a full bounce back ? The vulnerable to me are still going to be very nervous with high cases … I think the comparisons will be clearer once we have got through this winter 

For me they are taking a massive fucking risk, however calculated they think it is. There is a hell of a lot of people still not vaccinated and as you say, we will certainly know well enough by October/November if it's paid off. 

I'm on the fence, but I think getting rid of things like masks on public transport and working from home, is stupid and pushing things out when not needed. 

Edited by MrBarry465

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I must be missing your point entirely?

image.thumb.png.a066dd9af0438832305f1e9324be6f57.png

Is that 10% (soon to be 0%) really such a dramatic discrepancy worth banging on about every time Johnson opens his gob.

Has it fed through to much better outcomes relative to those other countries slightly behind? 

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Is that 10% (soon to be 0%) really such a dramatic discrepancy worth banging on about every time Johnson opens his gob.

Has it fed through to much better outcomes relative to those other countries slightly behind? 

I thought we’d been overtaken? Now it’s “soon to be” overtaken. 

18 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Good point.

All those countries however are largely keeping precautions however on maskwearing, self isolation and wfh, so case numbers won't get as bad as in the UK.

Thats a bold statement to make... we shall see. 

We have masks and Isolation and WFH here at the moment... how is that going? 

The only way Europe dont get as many cases is if they don't test as much as we do in my opinion. Which they aren't currently. 

1 hour ago, MrBarry465 said:

Yeah I pretty much agree with everything here.

I really feel for those people who are working in sectors like hospitality and retail and being given absolutely fuck all protection.

Hospitality worker here. Double jabbed admittedly, but given a choice between carrying on with the restrictions which make our lives so much harder and ultimately our effort pointless as we can barely clear a profit, and opening up normally, pretty much all (possibly actually all) of my colleagues are ready for things just open up as before. That includes the lad who is immunocompromised.

The last couple of months have been brutal and the thought of carrying that on through the summer holidays would finish a lot of people off. The month delay nearly did.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

How about you take this up with Boris Johnson and not us 😂😂 

UK vs. EU is a rather senseless discussion. There are even inner differences in the EU itself. We are glad that the vaccination program was better than feared and it has brought us where we are now. Cases will rise, no question about that, but at least we are on low grounds now and I am rather sure our health system can handle that as hopefully we have learned from last year where we went unprepared into the autumn/winter and we already are at the point where we have more vaccines than people who want to have a jab. So, maybe, this is the reason why experts are beginning to warn now - the delta is 2/3 of all cases and we opened up fully few weeks ago. But what strikes me is that the whole pandemic seems to be more political now than ever, its not even a question of health, more of politics.

15 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Hospitality worker here. Double jabbed admittedly, but given a choice between carrying on with the restrictions which make our lives so much harder and ultimately our effort pointless as we can barely clear a profit, and opening up normally, pretty much all (possibly actually all) of my colleagues are ready for things just open up as before. That includes the lad who is immunocompromised.

The last couple of months have been brutal and the thought of carrying that on through the summer holidays would finish a lot of people off. The month delay nearly did.

Thats fair, theres also a hell of a lot of younger people who woprk in hospitality who have not been double jabbed that are worried....

21 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The UK will have a higher percentage of vaccine coverage than the EU overall. Its slowing down a bit because younger people aren't getting vaxxed AS much. But that'll be the same once it gets to that stage with the EU

Its fine you hate Boris banging on about it. But that's because its successful. Pretending it isn't makes you look unreasonable

Edited by zahidf

24 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

+ Staff shortages due to isolation. Lots of smaller businesses will suffer because of that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

+ Staff shortages due to isolation. Lots of smaller businesses will suffer because of that.

Thats another economic factor I do feel people gloss over.

What happens when half the company is out at the same time? 

10 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Thats fair, theres also a hell of a lot of younger people who woprk in hospitality who have not been double jabbed that are worried....

True. 

Most of my colleagues are younger and only had the one. Although thankfully most won't be too far off getting their second as a couple of local pharmacies started doing walk ins for anyone over 18 a bit before the official start so some managed to get in then

44 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

For me they are taking a massive fucking risk, however calculated they think it is. There is a hell of a lot of people still not vaccinated and as you say, we will certainly know well enough by October/November if it's paid off. 

I'm on the fence, but I think getting rid of things like masks on public transport and working from home, is stupid and pushing things out when not needed. 

yeah, I guess that's where I am with it too, especially public transport which some unvaxed or vulnerable people have to use. They must be worried about cases getting too high which is why they've delayed the self isolation rules till mid August.