When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

"Vaccines are our route out of this" is what Hancock said many months ago. What are the scientists so surprised about? This was always the plan, Delta variant or no variant.  The vaccines are also far more effective than we ever could have hoped for, so yes we are putting all our eggs in the vaccine basket cos they're bloody good! Variants were always inevitable given the number of Covid cases globally and guess what, they're always going to get more transmissible, as that's what they need to do to survive, especially with downward pressure from the vaccines. 

yeah...but at same time....the delta variant.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/07/england-covid-reopening-plan-dangerous-experiment-ministers-told

Dr Jacky Davis, an NHS consultant radiologist, said: “In going for what looks like hybrid herd immunity, which was what this government went for in first place and then was slapped down, they are conducting a very dangerous experiment.

“We’re concerned about the future of young people and their education as it may be that it will have serious repercussions on their health going forward. It seems very dangerous when it could be stopped by something as minimal as wearing a mask and a degree of social distancing. The government has put all its eggs in the vaccine basket.”

Except we can't control it with masks and a degree of social distancing because we're doing that now and it's growing fast. It's definitely an experiment but it was always going to be - someone was going to get people vaxxed and open up first.

(My position on this whole thing remains mixed: I still think it's fundamentally unfair that young people are having to take risks without having been fully vaccinated: it's not optional for many, many will be forced back to work - as those in hospitality have been already and I disagreed with that too - and can't feasibly choose to continue to limit their contacts. So I disagree on dropping restrictions on that basis, but from a scientific point of view I think the approach is broadly sensible.

From an economic point of view I think the mixed messages "don't wear a mask but wear a mask" are hugely damaging. Telling people it's dangerous enough you should consider wearing a mask, but not insisting other people wear masks, is the worse approach you can take for dealing with social hesitancy)

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Except we can't control it with masks and a degree of social distancing because we're doing that now and it's growing fast. It's definitely an experiment but it was always going to be - someone was going to get people vaxxed and open up first.

(My position on this whole thing remains mixed: I still think it's fundamentally unfair that young people are having to take risks without having been fully vaccinated: it's not optional for many, many will be forced back to work - as those in hospitality have been already and I disagreed with that too - and can't feasibly choose to continue to limit their contacts. So I disagree on dropping restrictions on that basis, but from a scientific point of view I think the approach is broadly sensible.

From an economic point of view I think the mixed messages "don't wear a mask but wear a mask" are hugely damaging. Telling people it's dangerous enough you should consider wearing a mask, but not insisting other people wear masks, is the worse approach you can take for dealing with social hesitancy)

I will think it was a great idea and something I always supported if it works, and will be all told you so if it doesn't.

Edited by steviewevie

Just now, steviewevie said:

I think it will be a great idea and something I always supported if it works, and will be all told you so if it doesn't.

I'm sure if cases go up and hospitalisations get to such a level we do need to go back into lockdown, it'll somehow be the fault of the people who kept wearing masks.

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'm still baffled by why the vaccine figures are so low. Is there a shortage? Have many of the vaccination centres been closed? Fewer volunteers? Or is it purely a lack of uptake now?

It's almost entirely uptake.

Not had a vaccine? More than 8 weeks since your first dose? Go get one.

https://scontent-lhr8-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/213178628_1650909375108385_5525346043579033771_n.png?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=2c4854&_nc_ohc=1ugWe8WNlUUAX-WmekA&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-2.xx&oh=371ae36aceb6656cf20ba6ae550e7209&oe=60EA2387

Edit: Should clarify the image is for Nottingham/shire, but there's similar walk ins available at many (probably most) locations all over the country.

Edited by incident

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If opening more leads to higher R, then this means a bigger wave, right? And a bigger wave could mean more damage to people's health (and livelihoods).

With schools closed, only so much of an increase in R. And the vaccines also limit the R rate

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

With schools closed, only so much of an increase in R. And the vaccines also limit the R rate

Ok.. but the whole argument that cases are rising anyway so may as well open up fully seems flawed to me. I get the arguments about school hols and exit waves in the autumn etc, but then that can be countered with booster jabs and vaxxing kids.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Is that why we have restrictions though? Because its to stop people dying in car parks. Not because the NHS is busy.

I'd rather we gave them more money tbh.  

Well yeah, they definitely need money, but that is fix for mid/long term, this is potentially a short term problem..if hospitals already busy and those projections come true could get messy.

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Well yeah, they definitely need money, but that is fix for mid/long term, this is potentially a short term problem..if hospitals already busy and those projections come true could get messy.

Can't they move support and resources  from one area to another to mitigate the issue? It seems regional specific rather than all over 

Restrictions should be a last resort. Not plan A

Edited by zahidf

We are talking about a different issue here though; an underfunded NHS. We could lockdown for many more months or even years and not fix that problem without electing a different government.

It just is not reasonable to enforce tough restrictions on daily lives because the NHS is not being funded properly. As a country, we should not accept that. The correct response is to fund the NHS properly.

5 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

We are talking about a different issue here though; an underfunded NHS. We could lockdown for many more months or even years and not fix that problem without electing a different government.

It just is not reasonable to enforce tough restrictions on daily lives because the NHS is not being funded properly. As a country, we should not accept that. The correct response is to fund the NHS properly.

Yup. Accepting restrictions because of underfunding is perfect for the Tory govt. Such the fun out of like except work and not bother giving money to the NHS

8 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

Yes, and social care...needs loads of money...and where's it all going to come from?

2 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Time to fund the NHS to bud the surge capacity that it needs. 

Why isn't Labour focusing on this rather than unrealistic and unachievable building ventilation issues. 

No fucking clue.

Angry and dissapointed. 

That sort of stuff is for future manifestos.