When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

38 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

So I should wear a mask to respect the person I am working with ?   But the person I am working with has the total choice to go and get the vaccine ?   Maybe the person I am working with should respect my right to not wear a face mask and go and get the vaccine ?

Or do we hold back our norms and freedoms for the handful of people who for medical reasons can't have the vaccine ?   Ever though those people face daily issues with all sorts of other viruses ? 

And when is okay not to wear a mask ?   or is this forever thinking now ? 

Planet crazy 🙂 

There are still people that want the vaccine, have got their first dose, but are still waiting for their second one. About 12 million of them. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Delta kicking off in Europe now. The Benelux nations in particular are starting to do their best impression of the Wuhan province. 

Never heard this term before so have Googled it. You learn something new every day! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Just thinking about supermarkets and shops...

If some decide to continue to requests masks and others don't...  Going to be interesting to see people voting with their feet - in either direction.

I would 100% avoid the ones asking for it - and stick online if it remains the norm.

I've got no issue with whatever the supermarkets I use decide. The One Stop at the top of my street stopped policing mask wearing weeks ago and everyone has just got on with it with no aggro. 

My issue is if after 19th July if any strangers question my decision on mask wearing, they will be not too politely be told to mind their own fucking business. 

Just now, BobWillis2 said:

And virtually all of them are protected against severe disease. 

The effectiveness of Pfizer and possibly Moderna, after 4 weeks and against Delta is pretty limited. 

If you're privileged enough to have already have been offered both jabs and someone who isn't wants you to wear a mask that seems reasonable.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Delta kicking off in Europe now. The Benelux nations in particular are starting to do their best impression of the Wuhan province. 

Cases still rather low in most countries, but yeah, on the rise in many, most noticeable in the Lowland and Spain. The Delta variant here is over two thirds of the whole cases, so cases will certainly rise, but the low level has not changed that much until now. It will also be a question of hospitalization and death, like in the UK at some point. Now we have scientists again who want a cautious approach - instead of opening up - like in the UK - nearly everything - I read in the paper today scientists against music festival - in this case scientist Dorothee Van Laer saying these super spreader events should be cancelled because of the Delta and on the other Frequency Festival saying "this is totally silly, we will make our festival anyway"

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

No idea what he means about "liberals" though.

a lot of the liberal types like Ian Dunt and Emma Kennedy screaming about CLOSE THE BORDERS without a hint of irony or understanding that isnt really a door they want to open

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Apparently this has the potential to be big. @Toilet Duck let's be avin you.

Howdy, yeah, if we can get closer to the kind of effectiveness we see with the Covid vaccines, it has the potential to really make a big impact on how well we handle flu (current flu vaccines are typically between 30-50% effective depending on the circulating strains). Normally, surveillance indicates which strains are predominating each year and we cobble together the vaccine over the course of about 6 months. With the mRNA rapid development platform, this could be done based on the specific sequences of the circulating strains and actually be a lot more accurate each year. It also means that other parts of the flu virus could be included as well since all we need to know is the sequence. So, many are quite excited to see how mRNA vaccines can tackle flu (and a bunch of other things that we have been struggling to make effective vaccines for). Vaccine manufacture for other diseases that are using more traditional methods hasn't been massively impacted by the urgent need for covid vaccines (most of the companies that make them aren't making covid vaccines and they are using different approaches), but what Moderna's bandwidth is like to be able to make flu shots as well as covid shots would be an issue for the next year or two, but hopefully by the time they are into mass production for their flu shot, we won't need the covid ones on the same scale as we do now. The clinical trials will also be a lot easier to run since the general safety of this type of vaccine is now well established in millions and millions of people, so they aren't experimental any more. I think the side effect profile of the mRNA ones in particular are comparable to our flu shots (maybe a bit more fatigue, but really, some years my flu shot has knocked me out for the afternoon, so I don't think they are that far apart, thus I think people will take them, especially if they have already had an mRNA Covid shot). Let's see what the trial data shows, but exciting times in vaccinology (wait til the cancer ones emerge!). 

14 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

The effectiveness of Pfizer and possibly Moderna, after 4 weeks and against Delta is pretty limited. 

If you're privileged enough to have already have been offered both jabs and someone who isn't wants you to wear a mask that seems reasonable.

Not that you will see this, but others will. 1 Jab 61% effective is pretty good. 

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-two-astrazeneca-jabs-give-94-protection-against-dying-with-coronavirus-in-over-65s-says-public-health-england-12346629

31 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

@Toilet Duck

Is this true? 

Specifically talking about protection against disease and not infection, does a single dose of pfizer become “pretty limited” after 4 weeks? 

35 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

As you can tell, I generally agree with you, but I think you've got it wrong here. For young people, who are most of those on single doses, four weeks after the first jab gives profound protection on top of the natural immunity, particularly for the mRNA vaccines.

5 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

@Toilet Duck

Is this true? 

Specifically talking about protection against disease and not infection, does a single dose of pfizer become “pretty limited” after 4 weeks? 

Neutralising antibody titres drop off a fair bit after 4 weeks, but I haven't seen any data that specifically shows a big increase in severe disease, hospitalisation or death in the 4-12 week window between mRNA doses (compared with those that got dose 2 as per the manufacturer's recommendations). Yes, if you get infected, then your chances of developing disease obviously increase and those that are being admitted to hospital are mostly a mix of unvaccinated and partially vaccinated individuals (some are double jabbed, last time I looked it was about 10% of admissions, though that may have changed), but I haven't seen hard data showing an enrichment of mRNA single dose recipients in the admissions vs adenoviral single dose recipients (indeed, last time I looked, mRNA vaccine recipients had better protection after 1 dose). Granted, I'm not looking very hard for the data (so if someone has it, I'd be happy to have a look at it!). 2 doses is clearly better though, so getting as many people fully vaccinated as quickly as possible is not a bad thing (here we have just approved J&J single dose for 18-34 year olds by consent (and they are consenting in droves), which will finish the vaccination programme over a month early...now projected for August to reach all adults fully vaccinated). 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I guess we'll probably be over 50k/day by 19th July...?

I think it could go either way. It's about 6k week on week increase at the moment but all being well growth slows between now and then so we could end up just below 50k.

I know there are many factors in play (the main one being how effective the vaccines are in reducing hospital admissions and deaths), but on the face of it, the logic to remove all restrictions right as we are seeing case numbers rocket is a puzzling one to get your head around isn’t it? If you’re applying logic and common sense. 

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

BET NOW!

Those potential figures would be people getting ill, some unfortunately very ill. Personally not something I find funny or appropriate to joke about ☹️

Edited by Mr Boo