When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

It's quite the juxtaposition to celebrate ending restrictions on the basis of scientific advice, then to deliberately undermine the tracing infrastructure because the scientific advice doesn't suit. It gives the impression it's only ever been about the science when it's convenient. It's really just entitlement.

what did you do in the great pandemic daddy?

I turned off the test and trace app sonny.

Twitter is such a strange place isn’t it. I keep reading comments that Johnson actively told people not to bother wearing masks anymore from the 19th July, but that’s just not the case is it. He said they will no longer be ‘legally required’ and will instead become a ‘personal responsibility’. Whitty then even went on to give three examples when they should really still be worn. 
It’s so tiresome that it’s seems everybody has to be at extreme sides of any argument these days. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, st dan said:

Twitter is such a strange place isn’t it. I keep reading comments that Johnson actively told people not to bother wearing masks anymore from the 19th July, but that’s just not the case is it. He said they will no longer be ‘legally required’ and will instead become a ‘personal responsibility’. Whitty then even went on to give three examples when they should really still be worn. 
It’s so tiresome that it’s seems everybody has to be at extreme sides of any argument these days. 

There is a bit of a weird element of our society that does EXACTLY what the government tells them to do and has no capacity for nuance, personal risk assessments or individual choice. This works both ways in terms of rule breaking and risk aversion. 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

double jabbed or not you still carry it and can pass it on to others ? surely its still about keeping the infections down even though the risk is lower ? ill keep the app on and if it pings me ill do as required .... im in the fortunate position that my employer pays me for the full isolation period though ... I do understand that others might not be as fortunate and  the govt compensation for isolating has never been adequate or encouraging for people to do as required . 

I've been double-jabbed but was pinged today for a contact 3 days ago so I have to isolate for 7 days. Have done a lateral test which is negative. But I will definitely isolate because it is the responsible thing to do for the medium to long term. The gov are relaxing restrictions in the blind hope that people will be responsible - but if the majority aren't, then there will definitely be need for more restrictions or even lockdowns in the future. I am lucky enough to be able to work at home without any issue, which I know is a problem for people who would otherwise lose income (disgraceful that the gov wont cover isolation pay), but for the majority there really is no excuse.

1 minute ago, Gingerfish79 said:

I've been double-jabbed but was pinged today for a contact 3 days ago so I have to isolate for 7 days. Have done a lateral test which is negative. But I will definitely isolate because it is the responsible thing to do for the medium to long term. The gov are relaxing restrictions in the blind hope that people will be responsible - but if the majority aren't, then there will definitely be need for more restrictions or even lockdowns in the future. I am lucky enough to be able to work at home without any issue, which I know is a problem for people who would otherwise lose income (disgraceful that the gov wont cover isolation pay), but for the majority there really is no excuse.

I totally agree with you here, and you are definitely doing the correct thing in isolating as requested to do so.
However, the issue I have with it all is that it’s being done on the basis that you might have contacted it from somebody that you may have been in touch with close enough for long enough. But there is a very likely chance that isn’t the case and you aren’t carrying the virus at all.

I really wish there was a system in place that allowed a negative test ‘x’ number of days after receiving the ping, and that would suffice as being clear to resume your normal business. Leave the full 10 day isolation for those that actually have the virus confirmed. 

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

Exactly. It seems entirely random. I was out with my partner, i got the ping and she didnt. We were outdoors at a street food thing with distanced tables.

you arent supposed to test your way out but I chose to as a proportionate response

if i came into close contact with someone i know who had it and there was a reasonable chance of me having had it i would isolate and do loads of tests. Personal responsibility….

It took 6 days to be told to stay at home too. In those 6 days I'd been further and done more than the last 18 months. Typical 

3 minutes ago, st dan said:

I totally agree with you here, and you are definitely doing the correct thing in isolating as requested to do so.
However, the issue I have with it all is that it’s being done on the basis that you might have contacted it from somebody that you may have been in touch with close enough for long enough. But there is a very likely chance that isn’t the case and you aren’t carrying the virus at all.

I really wish there was a system in place that allowed a negative test ‘x’ number of days after receiving the ping, and that would suffice as being clear to resume your normal business. Leave the full 10 day isolation for those that actually have the virus confirmed. 

I completely agree, I've scratched my head to work out where I may have been in contact with somebody for long enough but I cant understand it. The system is so full of holes its bonkers! But its the only one we have and it can help to prevent some infection. Its inconvenient and a pain in the ass, but in the grand scheme of things its not that bad.

19 minutes ago, st dan said:

May isnt good enough for me personally

either i have it and will isolate or i dont and i wont

If i had no plans it wouldnt bother me to wfh and stay in but i wouldnt cancel something i wanted to do if i’d tested negative

some may say selfish, thats their opinion

54 minutes ago, st dan said:

Framing something as personal responsibility is a govt get out clause … look how well Christmas went ?!! So it’s now not against the law to do something that’s not pleasant … but it would be very nice of you to do it … most will take the easier and more pleasant option and ditch them 

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Framing something as personal responsibility is a govt get out clause … look how well Christmas went ?!! So it’s now not against the law to do something that’s not pleasant … but it would be very nice of you to do it … most will take the easier and more pleasant option and ditch them 

But ultimately it’s still the individual making that decision to not wear them. Johnson hasn’t said ‘everybody take your mask off on the 19th July and never wear them again’.
Making them no longer legally required is the only way to allow certain industries the chance to survive. Nightclubs opening but everybody having to wear masks would never work. So it kind of had to be done once the decision was made to reopen. 

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

But ultimately it’s still the individual making that decision to not wear them. Johnson hasn’t said ‘everybody take your mask off on the 19th July and never wear them again’.
Making them no longer legally required is the only way to allow certain industries the chance to survive. Nightclubs opening but everybody having to wear masks would never work. So it kind of had to be done once the decision was made to reopen. 

I get that but they could easily still be mandated in certain circumstances like shops and public transport … it’s also less of an issue because people have made a conscious decision to accept that risk … 

For anyone interested, this was a really good article on how to save the clubbing scene and thoughts on the 'march' a few weeks ago. Seems to be a bit of a divide in the clubbing community on that event, particularly as it was made up by quite a lot of far right antagonists.

https://www.attackmagazine.com/features/long-read/how-are-we-actually-going-to-save-our-scene/?_thumbnail_id=96942&fbclid=IwAR1nuVBrP9eFclBEQvNWlLbUXVDiFOGKeS8PihBeIiQqCMzZ8JYtc8gbUSc 

10 minutes ago, st dan said:

I would argue nightclubs opening but the PM and his scientific advisors saying "but be careful and maybe use masks in crowded places because it's still not safe" has killed their chance to survive.

From an economic perspective there's two options really. You tell people everything is fine, no need for masks any more, the virus is beaten, trust the vaccine, go out and enjoy yourselves. You make the world look as normal as possible and hope that gets people engaged in the economy again.

Second options is you keep some restrictions, regardless of scientific benefit, you do it purely for theatre, keep restrictions in place so people feel safe, tell people not to worry, the virus is still around and a problem, but we're going to look after you, just wear a mask and you'll be okay. You make the world look like it's got soft padding all over it and that we're fighting off the virus with our behaviour.

The problem with these two strategies is they are mutually exclusive. The first relies on people thinking everything is okay. The second relies on people thinking everything is not okay. The PM, of course, has decided to do a bit of both. Telling people to worry, and they should still think about using masks, but they don't have to. Literally the worst of both worlds.

7 hours ago, zahidf said:

Fake SAGE is against giving vaccines to Africa

That's not what he is saying at all... read the rest of the thread and he's highlighting that the bunch in charge are saying one thing but doing another - not helping poorer countries by helping pharma protections. He's highlighting the utter BS this Government is coming out with..

Edit - I see some random member with 4 posts to their name since joining in 2018 has downvoted me for some reason... care to explain why???

Edited by shoptildrop
  • Downvote 1