When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It's quite the juxtaposition to celebrate ending restrictions on the basis of scientific advice, then to deliberately undermine the tracing infrastructure because the scientific advice doesn't suit. It gives the impression it's only ever been about the science when it's convenient. It's really just entitlement.

If you're double jabbed now, that announcement is basically a green light to ignore the pings now. Why is it OK August 19th and not now?

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

If you're double jabbed now, that announcement is basically a green light to ignore the pings now. Why is it OK August 19th and not now?

double jabbed or not you still carry it and can pass it on to others ? surely its still about keeping the infections down even though the risk is lower ? ill keep the app on and if it pings me ill do as required .... im in the fortunate position that my employer pays me for the full isolation period though ... I do understand that others might not be as fortunate and  the govt compensation for isolating has never been adequate or encouraging for people to do as required . 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

double jabbed or not you still carry it and can pass it on to others ? surely its still about keeping the infections down even though the risk is lower ? ill keep the app on and if it pings me ill do as required .... im in the fortunate position that my employer pays me for the full isolation period though ... I do understand that others might not be as fortunate and  the govt compensation for isolating has never been adequate or encouraging for people to do as required . 

You are highly unlikely to. Which is why contact tracing is being stopped for double jabbed people specifically. 

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I was thinking the same about U18s when I was reading the announcement.  Classes/year groups currently off school but ok to crack on after August.  Would be a bit miffed if my kids were at home isolating at the moment. 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

You are highly unlikely to. Which is why contact tracing is being stopped for double jabbed people specifically. 

ok so what chance ? given how many people have had the virus or the jab how is it continuing to spread then ? and with the current numbers predicted up to 100,000 people infected per day is this just being spread by the unvaccinated ? these numbers seem out of proportion to me 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

ok so what chance ? given how many people have had the virus or the jab how is it continuing to spread then ? and with the current numbers predicted up to 100,000 people infected per day is this just being spread by the unvaccinated ? these numbers seem out of proportion to me 

Mainly spread among the unvaccinated with some amount of escape into the single-vaccinated groups and a small amount of escape into the fully vaccinated groups.

The point is that if you’re fully vaccinated, even if you come into close contact with a confirmed case, the chance of you catching and spreading covid is sufficiently small that self-isolating is more harm than good. 

6 minutes ago, slumberjack said:

I was thinking the same about U18s when I was reading the announcement.  Classes/year groups currently off school but ok to crack on after August.  Would be a bit miffed if my kids were at home isolating at the moment. 

We have a child at home doing that, we have done daily test. But as kids break up in a couple of weeks and it will take time to implement. 

he already had covid back in December as well. 

You will hit a wall pretty quickly if you get to 100k cases per day surely? There are not that many people unvaccinated... There will be a peak. 

48 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I've just seem that local authorities will be allowed to ask for measures reckon that'll hit some festivals.

Hopefully the government comes through with insurance to let it get as far as local authorities even being able to demand measures!

Edited by efcfanwirral

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Mainly spread among the unvaccinated with some amount of escape into the single-vaccinated groups and a small amount of escape into the fully vaccinated groups.

The point is that if you’re fully vaccinated, even if you come into close contact with a confirmed case, the chance of you catching and spreading covid is sufficiently small that self-isolating is more harm than good. 

Good timing this conversation as I came on to post this:

1 minute ago, Havors said:

You will hit a wall pretty quickly if you get to 100k cases per day surely? There are not that many people unvaccinated... There will be a peak. 

im still amazed we might get upon to those kind of numbers ..... id be interested to see the numbers that are left that haven't been jabbed or been infected .. 

4 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

We have a child at home doing that, we have done daily test. But as kids break up in a couple of weeks and it will take time to implement. 

he already had covid back in December as well. 

Sorry to hear that.  

With the number of cases they are expecting and with the extra PCR tests that will be required for U18, I'm struggling to see hoe testing and track and trace will cope.  Hope they are on top of things! 

31 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It's quite the juxtaposition to celebrate ending restrictions on the basis of scientific advice, then to deliberately undermine the tracing infrastructure because the scientific advice doesn't suit. It gives the impression it's only ever been about the science when it's convenient. It's really just entitlement.

Not really. Ive been double pfizered, told to isolate when i had no chance of having caught it, did 2 negative lateral flows and then decided i wasnt going to be held to the whims of a system that isnt accurate or designed for a vaccinated public.

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

im still amazed we might get upon to those kind of numbers ..... id be interested to see the numbers that are left that haven't been jabbed or been infected .. 

Yeah me too to be honest. I feel like we have to hit a wall before we get to 100k per day... surely? May just be being overly optimistic there. We do also need to stop being case blind though... we need to worry if the admissions start doubling quicker. 

1 minute ago, Memory Man said:

Not really. Ive been double pfizered, told to isolate when i had no chance of having caught it, did 2 negative lateral flows and then decided i wasnt going to be held to the whims of a system that isnt accurate or designed for a vaccinated public.

My friend and half his office have been pinged from different interactions - now they can all work at home but imagine that was a different sort of environment where 50% of the workforce had to stay at home. All of them have had one jab, most two. 

My ping 4 of us sat at a table two one side got it, 2 the other didn't. We we sat against a perspex screen 

11 minutes ago, slumberjack said:

Sorry to hear that.  

With the number of cases they are expecting and with the extra PCR tests that will be required for U18, I'm struggling to see hoe testing and track and trace will cope.  Hope they are on top of things! 

7th time since September. I understand why but it’s had a big impact, his grades have dropped by 1 level, he can pull them back but it will be hard work. 

6 minutes ago, Havors said:

Yeah me too to be honest. I feel like we have to hit a wall before we get to 100k per day... surely? May just be being overly optimistic there. We do also need to stop being case blind though... we need to worry if the admissions start doubling quicker. 

I look at case numbers still because they are still used and will influence behaviours ... rightly or wrongly ... as a vulnerable person I still dont fancy getting the virus despite the fact I know my chances of dealing with it are decent ... high community prevalence wont encourage many people back out but lower cases will 

4 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

My friend and half his office have been pinged from different interactions - now they can all work at home but imagine that was a different sort of environment where 50% of the workforce had to stay at home. All of them have had one jab, most two. 

My ping 4 of us sat at a table two one side got it, 2 the other didn't. We we sat against a perspex screen 

Exactly. It seems entirely random. I was out with my partner, i got the ping and she didnt. We were outdoors at a street food thing with distanced tables.

you arent supposed to test your way out but I chose to as a proportionate response

if i came into close contact with someone i know who had it and there was a reasonable chance of me having had it i would isolate and do loads of tests. Personal responsibility….

I look at case numbers still because they are still used and will influence behaviours ... rightly or wrongly ... as a vulnerable person I still dont fancy getting the virus despite the fact I know my chances of dealing with it are decent ... high community prevalence wont encourage many people back out but lower cases will 

yeah I get you. I think (hope) the opening up sooner rather than later will benefit us in the long run. Sooner we get the exit wave to peak the sooner we come out the other end and potentially never see waves of the same magnitude ever again and it becomes seasonal like Flu. 

17 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Scotland numbers down on last week again! Great news 3118 last week- 2363 this week. Positivity rate dropping again (still too high tho)

Hopefully NI is only a week or two behind you, our uptick started a week or two behind Britain's.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Lol what?

Test and trace makes no sense when the stated government policy is to let cases go up and get herd immunity between natural immunity and the vaccines.

Absolutely no reason to require people to isolate even if they test positive with that strategy!

Pretty sure this is textbook government playbook: keep a restriction that is obviously pointless, even leak that you're going to remove that restriction as you think it's pointless, then back-pedal. Then when everyone stops doing it, if you need to reverse the re-opening and introduce lockdowns later in the year because you forecasts were wrong, blame people for stopping using the app (for which you'll have accurate numbers on how many using it at different times). 

And the usual suspects thinking they're smarter than the government and hoodwinking them by turning off the app, when that exactly what the government expects them to do.

• Upvote 1