When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

You're still supposed to isolate with a negative PCR too. I'm currently doing exactly that having got my negative result back last night. 

I guess the argument is you've been in contact with someone with Covid, (allegedly) and PCRs aren't 100% accurate so there's a slightly higher chance you might have it. 

And before anyone gets excited and giddy, I'm not saying I agree with that, but that's probably the reason why. 

So many ifs and buts, you've had a negative test and no symptoms so you're basically being grounded for over a week for having your Bluetooth turned on. Why are tests such a huge thing if they can't be trusted, it's been ages have they really gotten no closer to working this out? If I tested positive could I just say tests aren't reliable and ignore it? 

We've all had to put up with a lot of shit this year, I feel like I've done my shift pretty well, haven't called anyone a nerd, worn my mask yknow I've moaned a bit but it's been pretty taxing on my mental health, I can't get my head round this though it's maddening. Don't see how anyone can get excited or nervous about restrictions changing, if cases rise like people say we'll all be in lockdown from our phones all of August anyway*.

*I know people like reacting super serious to everything in this thread so just read that in a jovial tone with a nugget of humour in there

Let’s not forget that the NHS has been butchered for years by Tory cuts and has needed love and attention for years. It’s not going to recover to a perfect condition because it wasn’t in one beforehand. 

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

So many ifs and buts, you've had a negative test and no symptoms so you're basically being grounded for over a week for having your Bluetooth turned on. Why are tests such a huge thing if they can't be trusted, it's been ages have they really gotten no closer to working this out? If I tested positive could I just say tests aren't reliable and ignore it? 

We've all had to put up with a lot of shit this year, I feel like I've done my shift pretty well, haven't called anyone a nerd, worn my mask yknow I've moaned a bit but it's been pretty taxing on my mental health, I can't get my head round this though it's maddening. Don't see how anyone can get excited or nervous about restrictions changing, if cases rise like people say we'll all be in lockdown from our phones all of August anyway*.

*I know people like reacting super serious to everything in this thread so just read that in a jovial tone with a nugget of humour in there

Well from what's been said above if you're double jabbed then you won't have to isolate. But obviously not everyone is and this would disproportionately affect young people.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Let’s not forget that the NHS has been butchered for years by Tory cuts and has needed love and attention for years. It’s not going to recover to a perfect condition because it wasn’t in one beforehand. 

I couldn’t agree more. I’d feel a lot happier about a future of living with COVID if we had a properly funded, efficient and modern healthcare system. 

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Well from what's been said above if you're double jabbed then you won't have to isolate. But obviously not everyone is and this would disproportionately affect young people.

From what I read above though the app doesn't know you're double jabbed so can you still use it to scan into places? Or is it show a vaccine passport to get in in that case? Obviously that causes its own problems.

I'm surprised anyone's suggesting this shit is ove July 19th. I'd be surprised if we were halfway through. 

Sorry, having a shit morning, don't normally post in here but seemed like the best place to come for a bit of a rant that I didn't have to take nuance or balance into consideration

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

and this scientist arguing should keep restrictions till all vaccinated...

I think if we're going to have a problem with the NHS in autumn/winter then it's going to happen regardless of what we do now. With the backlog and respiratory season (covid and flu combined). We might as well enjoy the next 2-3 months now and worry about that when we get there - we got to low levels last summer and it made little difference in the end,  as zero covid isn't an option you'd still expect the same this year at the expected time

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Masks vs No Masks its going to be like Brexiteer vs Remainer all over again.

Worse than that - it'll be "going out vs not going out" because of the masks or lack of them. I'll be wearing it on trains but expect to get abuse for it. 

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Why would waiting for a short time to allow a greater protection against the virus be senseless, in your opinion? 

AZ is only 71% effective against hospitalisation after one jab but 92% after the second. So a wait of a few weeks until more people have been as protected as they can be would greatly limit avoidable hospitalisation and death.

I don’t follow that any delay would have to wait until winter. How come? 

To be fair younger people had a pretty small chance of death before vaccines anyway, and lesser chance of hospitalisation. One dose should keep them out of hospital - those percentages are surely overall (though it would be interesting to see them by age). Not necessarily yourself but people talking about needing everyone under 30 double vaccinated because they're "still at risk" on a personal level definitely have an (understandably after the fear campaign) warped perception of risk.

The argument that they'd then be less likely to spread it is a fair one but then as I said above, we could get to tiny levels and it'll still spread in winter, so best to get people catching it in summer when they've got the best chance themselves with warmer weather, sunlight etc

Edited by efcfanwirral

36 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

what that means. It’s complicated and a lot of the experts disagree too!

Just because politicians and Twitter reduce everything to conflict and taking sides doesn’t mean we need to do the same. 

Maybe I’m over optimistic for a discussion forum 😂

only a couple of weeks left so gloves are off I reckon.

12 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m sorry for being mean.

I don’t believe that we all want out of this though. There are posters who have clearly expressed a preference to keep restrictions. 

There's a difference between what people like me want, and what we think is the right thing to do. Like, I might want to have a hot night of passion with Denzel Washington. But just because I want it, doesn't mean I start campaigning for the government to change the rules to ensure that happens. Or even that, if someone came along and said "we've sorted that for you, it's going to happen" I would just go "hurrah" and jump right in, I'd go "Hang on, how have you made that happen? Is informed consent involved?"

I do wonder some times what the life outlook of some people on here is when they can't comprehend the idea that someone wouldn't just take what they wanted given half the chance. That if someone is against the easing of restrictions, it's because they must like lockdown, rather than having a whole host of other reasons for having that opinion.

You can have opinions, even strongly held opinions, that don't agree with your personal desires. If you've never tried it before, you totally should.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, priest17 said:

From what I read above though the app doesn't know you're double jabbed so can you still use it to scan into places? Or is it show a vaccine passport to get in in that case? Obviously that causes its own problems.

I'm surprised anyone's suggesting this shit is ove July 19th. I'd be surprised if we were halfway through. 

Sorry, having a shit morning, don't normally post in here but seemed like the best place to come for a bit of a rant that I didn't have to take nuance or balance into consideration

Javid is going to announce about the double jabbed thing today so not sure about all the details, but yeah the trace app isn't linked to your personal info. So it would be more guidance about how to react to being pinged or not. You'd still be able to scan into places if you wanted to but I think that just becomes guidance too.

11 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Actually just reading it again, I think you might be confusing the two apps. Test and trace is linked to your phone only. The NHS app is the one that has vaccine status on it and is a separate thing.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

But there is an economic hit: the events research said masks in venues reduces the amount of people who'd want to go to those events (and cinemas/theatres e.t.c)

but not on transport.

you don't need to wear a mask now in a cinema, right? Not sure about theatre.

Edited by steviewevie

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Actually just reading it again, I think you might be confusing the two apps. Test and trace is linked to your phone only. The NHS app is the one that has vaccine status on it and is a separate thing.

That's not what I meant but I am confused ahah. If the covid app tells you you're self isolating would it give you a green tick to enter a place? Is the scan to enter thing dropped from the 19th? 

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

Seems like the best option we've taken

This is really interesting - it's seems to confirm what I've been saying already in that the third wave is already here. Case numbers are going up loads, hospitalisations and deaths are going up (but from a much lower starting position due the vaccine).

This seems to suggest that the primary driver to opening up is that the virus is out and spreading anyway, and won't get sped up much just by dropping the few remaining restrictions we had. I think everyone on here who has been in favour of not lifting restrictions on July 19 have just been suggesting keeping the current restrictions - none of us have really been suggesting backpedalling to a more stringent lockdown, though it looks like that was an option on the table.

Keeping the current restrictions seems to have been ruled out on the basis that it's spreading pretty fast anyway and it won't go that much faster if we re-open the rest of the economy. Based on that argument, and if that modelling is accurate, I can sort of agree with that. (I still have issues with the previous re-opening on the basis of equality of access to jabs but from a medical perspective I get the approach they're taking here).

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Everyone 18+ can book their jab. Those who have their second jab in the calendar have the option to move it forward.

What more can the government do? They can’t knock on people’s doors and shove it into their arms? There are limits.

They could reduce the gap for Pfizer/Moderna from 8 to 4 weeks. This is sort of our problem at the moment, mid-30s, we got the first jab as soon as we could book it, but even bringing the second jab forwards it means we get it the week after re-opening day, and then it's a couple of weeks for protection to kick in. Add in to that the fact that the protection from a first jab of Pfizer tends to wane after 4 weeks, we're now hitting the point where we are most at risk, while still being vaccinated.

No big deal, we're just going to be more cautious in that 4-ish weeks between July 19 and when our second jab kicks in - as in, we've started going out to cafes and restaurants again now, we're going to stop for a month over that time period.

But it's interesting that jabs were open for 18+ from June 18, so if they had the supplies to allow second jabs to be brought forward for everyone to 4 weeks, then all those adults most concerned (so who booked in as soon as possible) would be able to get their second does just before re-opening day.

9 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Worse than that - it'll be "going out vs not going out" because of the masks or lack of them. I'll be wearing it on trains but expect to get abuse for it. 

I think you're being over dramatic. It's a choice for people and what people feel comfortable with nothing more, nothing less. 

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I still think there's a case to be made for announcing a national vaccine sweepstake - 50 prizes of £100,000 with anyone who's had both jabs by (for example) 10 weeks from now automatically entered.

Yes, we shouldn't have to incentivise people to get jabbed - but if it helps raise the takeup even by half a percentage, then why the fuck not. The cost to the Government would be trivial compared to some of the worthless shit they've wasted cash on.

15 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I do wonder how much of this is down to people becoming hyper-conscious about their health, given it's all we've talked about for 18 months? All this stuff about under-lying conditions and how they can make you more susceptible to a deadly disease, it might be causing people to not fuck about so much with their health. Generally plenty of people (myself included) would avoid going to the doctor unless absolutely necessary, and even then the NHS could just about cope - I wonder if we're seeing what's going to be a sustained increase in demand as people are just thinking more about them.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

I still think there's a case to be made for announcing a national vaccine sweepstake - 50 prizes of £100,000 with anyone who's had both jabs by (for example) 10 weeks from now automatically entered.

Yes, we shouldn't have to incentivise people to get jabbed - but if it helps raise the takeup even by half a percentage, then why the fuck not. The cost to the Government would be trivial compared to some of the worthless shit they've wasted cash on.

In Northern Ireland, if we get vaccinated this week we get a free ice cream... That's about as good as it gets over here!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, priest17 said:

That's not what I meant but I am confused ahah. If the covid app tells you you're self isolating would it give you a green tick to enter a place? Is the scan to enter thing dropped from the 19th? 

It's not being scrapped but becomes optional. I've never been told to isolate so no idea what happens with scanning when you've been told to, but I would guess you just don't try to scan if you are ignoring the isolation guidance as now optional to scan in anyway. To be honest it feels optional in a lot of places I've been to anyway!

Edited by Zoo Music Girl