When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Wow. Looks like everything I said earlier is coming true.

12:30 Health Secretary will announce that if you are double jabbed you will no longer receive the ‘ping’ on your NHS app. So double jabbed people will not be asked to isolate unless they have symptoms. Great stuff - will bring lots of certainty to people’s lives.

Wow, that you Nostradamus?

35 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Agreed. But unless everyone has had a reasonable opportunity to get a jab (without having to know about some queue hack), one could argue that people who actually want to get vaccinated will now have to live in a Covid unsafe society until their opportunity arrives. 

I’m not necessarily suggesting that’s a good enough reason to delay easing - it’s all about risk/reward balance - but anyone believing that any one approach to this is perfectly fair would be a bit short sighted. 

It's easy to get a jab now. If anyone wanted one, they could have had one. There's no issues booking online, and there's regular walk-up clinics.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Wow, that you Nostradamus?

Javid expected to announce changes to self-isolation rules today

Health Secretary Sajid Javid said he would set out self-isolation changes for those who have had both vaccine doses in Parliament later today.

“We will have a more proportionate system of test, trace and isolate, and it is absolutely right that those that have been double jabbed that we can take a different approach than the one we take today,” he told BBC Breakfast.

PA media quote him saying: “In terms of what we will be doing exactly, you will have to wait for my statement to Parliament later today.”

It is expected that people who have had two doses of vaccine will no longer be required to self-isolate for ten days.

The health secretary is thought to be giving a House of Commons statement at around 12.30pm in place of the currently listed appearance by colleague Jo Churchill.

Don't want to spam the thread, but I don't suppose anyone knows whether Bath Racecourse or Avonmouth vaccination centre are offering Pfizer walk-ins for over 40s at the moment? The information online is entirely contradictory. One part of the NHS website says both are offering walk-ins to anyone over 18 for first or second jab, another part of the site says only people with booked appointments should turn up.  

I'm already booked in for the mass vaccination site in Bristol next Tuesday – nine weeks after my first, but we're going on holiday the following morning and would prefer to avoid running the risk of having flu symptoms for the holiday, if it's fine for me to go to a walk-in centre. At the same time, don't want to do an hour's round trip and add to their workload unnecessarily if I shouldn't be going there.

Edited by Dog Burger

1 hour ago, incident said:

To be honest, I don't understand why ventilation hasn't been seriously dealt with before now.

We've known it's a significant factor for what must be well over a year at this point, so there's been plenty of time to study it, draw up new standards, and get the appropriate legislation on the books. Obviously it's not in any way realistic to mandate new standards for ventilation/circulation before reopening as the kind of work involved is going to take at minimum several years in many cases, but they could have made a lot more progress in the second half of last year.

My cynical theory: significantly improving ventilation in shared spaces - offices, hospitality etc - requires investment by property owners & landlords. Who tend to be big Tory donors…

Just look at the absolute shambles of the cladding issue to see how reluctant this government is to force property owners or developers to do the right thing. 

Less cynical theory: sorting out ventilation properly is complicated, difficult and will take a long time. It’s entirely possible there has been action on this behind the scenes but it’s not made it through to actual improvement work yet. 

TBH a lot of modern office spaces are quite large and look like they could achieve healthy ventilation reasonably easily. Older offices less so but the real challenge is public transport IMO. Probably no real prospect of significant improvement there without replacing the trains/buses/trams etc 🙁

14 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

They haven't ended yet and they could well be reimposed if things change rapidly, I've got a ticket for Watchet at the end of August, if that goes ahead as normal you can crow then and I'll be happy to be wrong.

You never said that ending was measured by the festival of your choice.

Just now, Dog Burger said:

Don't want to spam the thread, but I don't suppose anyone knows whether Bath Racecourse or Avonmouth vaccination centre are offering Pfizer walk-ins for over 40s at the moment? The information online is entirely contradictory. One part of the NHS website says both are offering walk-ins to anyone over 18 for first or second jab, another part of the site says only people with booked appointments should turn up.

I strongly suspect you'd be fine, but my suggestion is ignore the websites and take a look at the Twitter/Facebook pages for any relevant local Trusts/CCGs. I've found that to be the most accurate and up to date "state of play".

1 minute ago, Dog Burger said:

I'm already booked in for the mass vaccination site in Bristol next Tuesday – nine weeks after my first, but we're going on holiday the following morning and would prefer to avoid running the risk of having flu symptoms for the holiday, if it's fine for me to go to a walk-in centre. At the same time, don't want to do an hour's round trip and add to their workload unnecessarily if I shouldn't be going there.

The best thing to do is see if you can find your local NHS on Facebook or Twitter. (Mine is NHS Stockport Clinical Commissioning Group) They tend to update at least weekly where the walk in centres are and what vaccines each one is offering. I cancelled my 2nd jab and went and got it at the walk in centre last week and honestly it was a shorter queue than the one I had my appointment for and was very stress free and quick. 

11 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Really? Who's said that they don't want the restrictions lifted?

If I name names I’ll get an instant pile on and be called a bully etc etc but there are defo people in here. They’re not explicitly saying ‘I don’t want restrictions to be lifted on July 18th’ but you can tell they’re thinking it 

23 minutes ago, kalifire said:

But a less harmful wave, surely. I don’t know, I’m not pushing any particular argument here, it’s just odd to me that a delay of a few weeks seems totally off the table and we have to be talking about winter or 2022. I haven’t heard a good argument why that is. 

Less harmful? No, it would be much more harmful... it would be flu season and all the other rise in hospitalisations that come with winter. Much worse to push the wave into the autumn... Hence they literally said its better to do it now.... 

3 minutes ago, Havors said:

Less harmful? No, it would be much more harmful... it would be flu season and all the other rise in hospitalisations that come with winter. Much worse to push the wave into the autumn... Hence they literally said its better to do it now.... 

Since when is August “autumn”? 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Labour are the party of infinite lockdown. 

Nah they are the party of trying not to support the Tories. If they sit on the fence they come out unscathed either way. 

I think its time you toned down the rhetoric to be honest, its getting tedious even for me who is very much in favour of getting everything open in 2 weeks. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Dog Burger said:

Not sure about the two locations you’ve mentioned but pretty sure I’ve seen information shared that the bath and west showground might be doing walk ins?

Not sure if that’s worth looking in to or how convenient it is for you to get to?

55 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Not the only one. It’s absolute clusterfuck. Terrible leadership. Terrible message. Terrible strategy.

Their direction is absolutely clueless, and they think that this “well if the tories fuck up people will vote us” approach will work.

Newsflash but people don’t vote that way. Labour need to focus on being a stronger party, rather than just sitting and praying for a Tory scandal.

Labour just don't have a clear identity anymore. I vote for them purely because they have the biggest chance of beating the Tories in my constituency, which is slim considering the Tories (33,000) got more than double the Labour vote (16,000) here in 2019.

With Corbyn at the helm Labour at least had a vocal recognisable leader and an identity, with Starmer you hear more from his MPs eyeing up his job than you do from him in the midst of the biggest health crises in living memory.

If they can't lead their own party they don't stand a chance leading the country, or at least that's the way it looks to me, a working class 20-something from inner city Leeds who should be Labour through and through

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

If I name names I’ll get an instant pile on and be called a bully etc etc but there are defo people in here. They’re not explicitly saying ‘I don’t want restrictions to be lifted on July 18th’ but you can tell they’re thinking it 

A lot of y’all are framing this in a really negative and unhelpful way. 

People are perfectly entitled to their opinion that the planned removal of restrictions on the 19th is too much, too soon. 

That’s not the same thing as saying they don’t want restrictions lifted at all, or that they’re some sort of freedom-hating control freaks. Which has 100% been the implication in a lot of posts…

Everyone here wants restrictions to end as soon as it’s safe to end them. We have different opinions on when that is, but ultimately we do all want the same thing. 

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

You never said that ending was measured by the festival of your choice.

It was an example, so far there has been no festival running without restrictions, lets wait and see just how free we are in a few weeks, I suspect there will now be a push for vaccine passports for entry to events, if you listened to Johnson yesterday he said this isn't over by a long way and suggested businesses should consider using covid status as a condition of entry. He claimed it would be up to the businesses concerned but if you are reliant on a council licence there could well be pressure to bring in such a system to ensure the venue is "safe".

5 minutes ago, Havors said:

Delaying to august pushes the wave into autumn.... come on use your brain. 

So if we ease up now, we absolutely avoid an autumn wave, but if we delay for a few more weeks until everyone waiting on a second jab has had one, an autumn lockdown is absolutely inevitable?

Doesn't seem quite right to me. I'm pretty sure we could handle a wave that overlaps a bit with the start of autumn, especially since hospitalisations for seasonal conditions wouldn't happen immediately, for the sake of an additional 21% protection against hospitalisation amongst millions of people.

Again, I want to understand the position here, I'm not necessarily saying we shouldn't be easing up now (just to make that clear for the one or two who probably wouldn't grasp the nuance).

7 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Labour just don't have a clear identity anymore. I vote for them purely because they have the biggest chance of beating the Tories in my constituency, which is slim considering the Tories (33,000) got more than double the Labour vote (16,000) here in 2019.

With Corbyn at the helm Labour at least had a vocal recognisable leader and an identity, with Starmer you hear more from his MPs eyeing up his job than you do from him in the midst of the biggest health crises in living memory.

If they can't lead their own party they don't stand a chance leading the country, or at least that's the way it looks to me, a working class 20-something from inner city Leeds who should be Labour through and through

Labour just keep making bad decisions. Corbyn leadership has damaged them for a generation IMO. He was too divisive and stood no chance of winning over Tory voters. For a lot of people he turned the Labour Party into something extreme, unfamiliar, and scary. Labour would love to tell you he isn’t around anymore but the spectre and damage he did to the party still remains.

We all know many people who will never vote Labour again because of the Corbyn years.

I also think Labour’s position right now is not appealing to the people they should be winning. The tories are just scooping up all the on the fence Labour voters now.

20 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Deano. 

Just now, kalifire said:

So if we ease up now, we absolutely avoid an autumn wave, but if we delay for a few more weeks until everyone waiting on a second jab has had one, an autumn lockdown is absolutely inevitable?

Doesn't seem quite right to me. I'm pretty sure we could handle a wave that overlaps a bit with the start of autumn, especially since hospitalisations for seasonal conditions wouldn't happen immediately, for the sake of an additional 21% protection against hospitalisation amongst millions of people.

Again, I want to understand the position here, I'm not necessarily saying we shouldn't be easing up now (just to make that clear for the one or two who probably wouldn't grasp the nuance).

Take it up with the experts Vallance and Witty.... 

The sooner we open the sooner the wave peaks. Any delay delays the wave.. and it also does not guarantee any saved lives. It just moves the problem further down the road. Restrictions do not prevent disease, they just delay it.