When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

17 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Why it's time to think differently about Covid https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57678942

Nick Triggle is exactly who we need, a reasoned and reliable voice who puts things into context but doesn't sensationalise events, nor does he sugar coat it. Him, Fergus Walsh and Hugh Pym have been exceptional throughout the pandemic for the BBC

Just now, zahidf said:

I agree on ventilation but the rest is ridiculous

To be honest, I don't understand why ventilation hasn't been seriously dealt with before now.

We've known it's a significant factor for what must be well over a year at this point, so there's been plenty of time to study it, draw up new standards, and get the appropriate legislation on the books. Obviously it's not in any way realistic to mandate new standards for ventilation/circulation before reopening as the kind of work involved is going to take at minimum several years in many cases, but they could have made a lot more progress in the second half of last year.

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

And exactly why we should be ramping up the vaccine programme. I'm still not sure why it's going in the opposite direction when it's effectiveness in my aspects has been proven

It is odd, and the good old media again failed to pick up on it and ask the scientific advisors the specific question. The whole point was to ramp up the vaccinations in the four week period, but they’ve gone the other way.  

29 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That's an interesting article. Worth reading for anyone nervous about the 19th and beyond 

Whilst I understand the efforts to relieve fears quite a lot of people have jumped on the zero Covid bandwagon now. So it’s going to be a long adjustment period.

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Won’t be winning many voters with guff like this.

Exactly what I was thinking. Labour should just be encouraging people to keep masks on as opposition. Not incurring huge costs to businesses. Doesn’t help the case that Labour thinks all businesses are like Amazon, Apple, and Google.

8 hours ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

People will end up in hospital and people will sadly die but that's unavoidable sadly.

Not just picking on you but have you selected which family member you are willing to sacrifice? And have you told them so they understand it’s for the greater good?

• Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Not just picking on you but have you selected which family member you are willing to sacrifice? And have you told them so they understand it’s for the greater good?

That’s not what he said at all, lol.

Pre-Covid it was a fact of life and post-Covid is a fact of life. Everyone wishes the best health for all family members and friends but we know it’s unrealistic. Don’t understand how you’ve reached this conclusion.

5 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

It's not some sort of purge where picking one person from the family will save the others  - people died before Covid, people have been dying through Covid of other things and people will die of Covid and other things after Covid. 

Some stuff just comes down to your genetics and luck. 

There are years where there are deaths at Glastonbury - should we cancel it because of that? 

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Labour should just be encouraging people to keep masks on as opposition. Not incurring huge costs to businesses. Doesn’t help the case that Labour thinks all businesses are like Amazon, Apple, and Google.

Yep.

Effectively saying that you don’t want people to have their freedoms back is a dangerous game to play.

I’ve become very disillusioned with the party recently and can’t think I’m the only one.

41 minutes ago, zahidf said:

So if on the lower end, a standard winter flu seasons worth. Justifiable? Quite possible. Given a lot of them will be 80+ Etc. Not nice but we need to re-reconcile with ourselves that yes people do die and if it wasnt for this it would be something else shortly. 

is it possible that we still have a less bad flu season too as surely theres not a massive amount of that going round due to loads still WFH mask wearing and taking precautions? Just theorising.

Random thought, but on current case trajectories basically anyone who hasn’t been vaccinated will have caught the Delta variant over the next month or two anyway. Current restrictions are doing very little to stop that and token measures like keeping masks on public transport would do even less.

So basically the government might as well do something, either reimpose lockdown (which there is very little appetite for now) or relax the rules altogether. The current halfway house is actually a worst of both worlds approach. 

8 hours ago, zahidf said:

That's just about OK. Anything more than that is unacceptable 

We just don't know how bad things will be this winter, depends on how bad flu is, if they've rolled out booster vaccines, if they've vaccinated kids, variants etc. But if do bring back restrictions will be the easier ones first like masks and test/trace. I don't think it's going to be plain sailing from the 19th though...going to take a while...

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Whilst I understand the efforts to relieve fears quite a lot of people have jumped on the zero Covid bandwagon now. So it’s going to be a long adjustment period.

One look at twitter yesterday particularly a lot of the big centrist accounts with high reactions confirms this. People need to get real and understand its far too late for zero / low covid

13 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

It's not some sort of purge where picking one person from the family will save the others  - people died before Covid, people have been dying through Covid of other things and people will die of Covid and other things after Covid. 

Some stuff just comes down to your genetics and luck. 

There are years where there are deaths at Glastonbury - should we cancel it because of that? 

Whilst you can’t stop deaths should you stop trying to prevent deaths where possible?

when there is a death at Glastonbury or other events an inquest is held and lessons are looked to be learnt and changes implemented.