When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I do that too, it's a symptom of my OCD though where if I get an email come in late in the day, I find it very hard to leave it till the next day.

Yes I also just hate doing really boring jobs so would rather get them out of the way. During the pandemic when I haven't had anything else to do my work have gotten weeks of extra work out of me including nights, weekends etc. Any days when I do take the piss have been well and truly earned in advance!

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Why do people get so het up about what other people do? Whether they work from home or not, whether they're productive or not, whether they plan to wear masks or not. You do you, why would you care how productive or not some strangers on the internet are? Baffling.

Yeah, it's all become a bit Daily Mail around here again. 

My WFH experience has been mostly positive. I've seen significant personal and business benefits. My employer is fairly progressive. The corporate plan is now to provide office space on a 50% occupancy basis while actual attendance is a balance of personal, team and client needs. Also anyone that prefers to be in the office full time will be accommodated. 

One of the biggest benefits we have seen is the ability to fill vacancies in the team from staff around the UK where previously we would have only considered people in our local office. 

The pandemic has accelerated what was happening slowly anyway. I'm sure as the business benefits become more widely recognised that the archaic view of some middle managers out there will look more and more anachronistic. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Yep - I've been the same (and I'm and official home worker anyway) I'm hoping when there are other options I will finish work at more reasonable hours again but it's hard to break routine... And unlike my old office it's effort to go to the pub now.

Same here. I'm a homeworker from pre-pandemic but usually when you work from home I would have gigs planned or gym classes or meals out (you know that thing we used to have called a social life!!) and that stopped me from overworking. 

Looking forward to getting it all back 😄

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yep working smarter not harder is always my thing as well. In the first month I started working at my current company I changed a process that was taking approx 2 hours to something that could be done in 20 minutes. If I put my feet up and did sweet fa for a month they'd still have saved a fortune by employing me. 

Oh yeah, a big fan of that. Essentially I'm quite lazy and don't get paid a great deal so I'll put a bit of effort into finding a better way of doing something to save me in the long run. Usually leads to fewer problems and mistakes from other staff too which ultimately makes my life easier too. I suppose I should put some effort into finding a better paid job but like I said, quite lazy 

4 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Yeah, it's all become a bit Daily Mail around here again. 

My WFH experience has been mostly positive. I've seen significant personal and business benefits. My employer is fairly progressive. The corporate plan is now to provide office space on a 50% occupancy basis while actual attendance is a balance of personal, team and client needs. Also anyone that prefers to be in the office full time will be accommodated. 

One of the biggest benefits we have seen is the ability to fill vacancies in the team from staff around the UK where previously we would have only considered people in our local office. 

The pandemic has accelerated what was happening slowly anyway. I'm sure as the business benefits become more widely recognised that the archaic view of some middle managers out there will look more and more anachronistic. 

Sounds pretty similar to mine.

I read somewhere it has sped up the evolution of office working by about 5 years or so. I think the majority of businesses will evolve and work with their employees to find a way that works for both.

2 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Oh yeah, a big fan of that. Essentially I'm quite lazy and don't get paid a great deal so I'll put a bit of effort into finding a better way of doing something to save me in the long run. Usually leads to fewer problems and mistakes from other staff too which ultimately makes my life easier too. I suppose I should put some effort into finding a better paid job but like I said, quite lazy 

I just hate doing anything that's boring and repetitive so if I can find a way to make things take less time I will. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sounds pretty similar to mine.

I read somewhere it has sped up the evolution of office working by about 5 years or so. I think the majority of businesses will evolve and work with their employees to find a way that works for both.

I agree. It certainly busted a number of myths about WFH. I'm not sure it would have worked so well 5 years or so ago. The wide availability of cheap broadband Internet and effective video conference applications have been huge enablers. 

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

Shit like this isn't new. At the height of the financial crisis over a decade ago, the standard practice was for the bank's HR to just disable the entry pass of those being laid off. They'd find out they'd been binned when they rocked up the next morning and couldn't get in to the building.

Sorry I’m really far behind but really wanted to join in on this.

I don’t exactly live in a progressive workplace and we’ve adopted a 60/40 model (60% in the office). It just makes complete sense to me and I’m quite excited to see it in action. I think having 2 days a week to work at home would really flourish out my working week and definitely make things easier in some regard.

We work with a lot of American clients - and it seems to be that major major US corporations / investment banks / law firms seem to be giving WFH a massive middle finger, with a lot asking for a 5 day working week. No remote working. No exceptions.

Quite crazy really. I do think the hybrid model is going to become a European / Australian / New Zealand thing, but it doesn’t seem to be the future for America.

6 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Thanks have you thought about doing these kind of explanations with animations and selling them to governments around the world to send out as public service announcements. I feel like there is a real lack of understanding around the vaccines and what they do which drives a lot of the increase in infections to begin with. So many people have already completely abandoned social distancing etc. 

😁 

My PhD students do all sorts of great whiteboard animations to explain their work, I’m generally in awe of them! We don’t sell them though, they just put them on YouTube and other places for free (cancer research though rather than immunology or virology). The situation over the last year and half has been incredibly complex and continually evolving. It’s a nightmare to communicate effectively (let alone manage!).

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Sorry I’m really far behind but really wanted to join in on this.

I don’t exactly live in a progressive workplace and we’ve adopted a 60/40 model (60% in the office). It just makes complete sense to me and I’m quite excited to see it in action. I think having 2 days a week to work at home would really flourish out my working week and definitely make things easier in some regard.

We work with a lot of American clients - and it seems to be that major major US corporations / investment banks / law firms seem to be giving WFH a massive middle finger, with a lot asking for a 5 day working week. No remote working. No exceptions.

Quite crazy really. I do think the hybrid model is going to become a European / Australian / New Zealand thing, but it doesn’t seem to be the future for America.

I work for a us company and they are doing 50/50 over there. My brother works in us and is still working from home since last spring.

Edited by steviewevie

Just now, steviewevie said:

I work for a us company and they are doing 50/50 over there. My brother worse in us and is still working from home since last spring.

Tech companies and quite relaxed companies yes. But high intense corporate jobs are trying to stop WFH.

(Unless your working with one of these and there’s an outlier).

Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, and most US law firms in the states are pretty much enforcing a return to the office.

Yes this is the whole American workforce but they are some big players.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Tech companies and quite relaxed companies yes. But high intense corporate jobs are trying to stop WFH.

(Unless your working with one of these and there’s an outlier).

Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, and most US law firms in the states are pretty much enforcing a return to the office.

Yes this is the whole American workforce but they are some big players.

The CEO of Goldman Sachs called WFH an 'aberration', which is a bit extreme.

Personally, still think it's fucking reckless when 50% of the population are not fully vaccinated. This proper opening could have been pushed back to August once we had everyone done - but hey ho I guess.

Almost pre empting down votes from certain ividduals to this post.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Personally, still think it's fucking reckless when 50% of the population are not fully vaccinated. This proper opening could have been pushed back to August once we had everyone done - but hey ho I guess.

Almost pre empting down votes from certain ividduals to this post.

But the 50% who aren’t fully vaccinated either a) don’t want to be vaccinated at all or b) are in the younger and less vulnerable categories and therefore very unlikely to end up in hospital. That why making the way though the JCVI list was so crucial, meaning the tail was always going to be the younger ones.