When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yeah the disconnect between Johnson and Vallance was a bit awkward!

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Depends on your employer. Both mine and my partner's are doing a hybrid model, as are lots of places. It's not really up to the government.

Mine ain’t massively keen when 80% are happy WFH. Bit shit on those of us who struggle at home but what can you do?

Depends on your employer. Both mine and my partner's are doing a hybrid model, as are lots of places. It's not really up to the government.

Indeed, as I said on the last page my employer is doing the same but allowing staff to the flexibility to work how they see fit. Basically using the office as a hub for people to get together and collaborate. I think that's the best way of doing it as they'll be situations where people will need to come to a work place (such as training) but also give people the option of continuing  the way of working that they have been through the pandemic.

Just now, balthazarstarbuck said:

Yeah the disconnect between Johnson and Vallance was a bit awkward!

Mine ain’t massively keen when 80% are happy WFH. Bit shit on those of us who struggle at home but what can you do?

Yeah I think they should allow people to go back full time if they want to, just as I think more flexibility should be embraced generally. Some places (both of ours included) have used the opportunity to downsize a bit though and have hot desking (my main employer has always been hot desking anyway and getting somewhere to sit could be tricky at times!).

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I think they should allow people to go back full time if they want to, just as I think more flexibility should be embraced generally. Some places (both of ours included) have used the opportunity to downsize a bit though and have hot desking (my main employer has always been hot desking anyway and getting somewhere to sit could be tricky at times!).

There's been quite a lot of downsizing along with an app booking system for desks as well.

“Why not wait until the vaccination programme is 100% done.”

Because, this is not your ideal world, not every person is going to take the vaccine and you can’t force them.

We shouldn’t be locked down because of people who don’t want it. And NO we can’t just stick it in their arm.

Great news today. The government are seeing beyond the fear and doing what’s right.

Edited by Matt42

Just now, Ozanne said:

There's been quite a lot of downsizing along with an app booking system for desks as well.

Yeah they have that at mine. Hoping that will get scrapped tbh but may well stay if not enough space. I won't bother to go back in until I can actually see some people I work with! Pointless otherwise.

So the advice on masks is you don't need to wear a mask but please do wear a mask? Classic Johnson.

16 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

maybe some of those are posting in scheduled break times .... or working flexi hours that you arent aware of ... ? 

Come off it mate. No one has that many breaks! It's simply when your boss isn't in the same room as you can do more of what you want on your computer.

Yeah they have that at mine. Hoping that will get scrapped tbh but may well stay if not enough space. I won't bother to go back in until I can actually see some people I work with! Pointless otherwise.

A lot of people have been saying that at my place, if they have to book desks there's no guarantee we can all work together so therefore what's the point in coming in, especially when it all works really well as we are doing at home.

There's obviously a disconnect between Whitty and Johnson. 

Nightclubs can open but Whitty advised he'd wear a mask indoors in a crowded area. That's his prerogative, of course but I respect his viewpoint.

I'm paraphrasing but he also inferred that it's the ministers that make the decisions. I wouldn't necessarily want to put my name against any of this, either. 

As much as I welcome this announcement, I can't help but feel that there are some huge contradictions in the messages and conflict between those in that room.

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

There's obviously a disconnect between Whitty and Johnson. 

Nightclubs can open but Whitty advised he'd wear a mask indoors in a crowded area. That's his prerogative, of course but I respect his viewpoint.

I'm paraphrasing but he also inferred that it's the ministers that make the decisions. I wouldn't necessarily want to put my name against any of this, either. 

As much as I welcome this announcement, I can't help but feel that there are some huge contradictions in the messages and conflict between those in that room.

Scientists saw nightclubs as dirty hazardous environments before the pandemic. Nothing new here.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Come off it mate. No one has that many breaks! It's simply when your boss isn't in the same room as you can do more of what you want on your computer.

are you referring to anyone in particular here ? ive no idea of anyones shift patterns and im not watching anyone that closely to know ... but it is a possibility ... If people studied my posting habits they could quite easily work out my day ... It might also seem like i spend all day on here as was mentioned yesterday .... which isnt totally accurate 

14 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Same here....4 days/wk in office pre-Covid, 1 day/wk max post-Covid. 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

are you referring to anyone in particular here ? ive no idea of anyones shift patterns and im not watching anyone that closely to know ... but it is a possibility ... If people studied my posting habits they could quite easily work out my day ... It might also seem like i spend all day on here as was mentioned yesterday .... which isnt totally accurate 

I'm basing it on a discussion in here a few months ago, in which a good few people who are regulars were adamant that they were more productive at home. I find that hard to believe based on what I have seen on here for the last 18 months.

18 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Mine has said everyone back in from start of sept unless agreed with line manager.

ive been going in at least once a week since last sept and only last week did I start having someone else in the same room as me...shame as it now means I can’t listen to YouTube videos all day anymore...was nice whilst it lasted 😂

10 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

If your boss is looking over your shoulder to check what you’re doing you need a new job… 🙄

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

I'm basing it on a discussion in here a few months ago, in which a good few people who are regulars were adamant that they were more productive at home. I find that hard to believe based on what I have seen on here for the last 18 months.

I get your point but if you were previously working in a very disruptive environment with constant distraction and interruption (which I was) then it's still possible to be more productive at home, even with the odd bit of downtime on here. 

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I dread to think what our place will be doing, as they have a very bums on seat culture before covid and get the feeling the attitude of managers have not changed on that

However, they have brought in a 3rd party consultancy group to look a different working models and we all had to fill in a questionnaire so it will be interesting to see what they do.,,,

My manager isn't very flexible or reasonable, christ I complained that I wasn't happy still using my own laptop to do work so pushed for them to provide me one (answer was no) - so I was trying to reason it wasn't fair I'm not being provided equipment and was told "well you have perfectly good equipment in the office but you refused to go in" - how that works with the lockdown months I have no idea, but I just can't seem to have a reasonable conversation with my manager about this so I fully expect to be told to be back in the office by end of month 😞 

Just now, jimmillen said:

If your boss is looking over your shoulder to check what you’re doing you need a new job… 🙄

Excuse me? Haha. It's pretty obvious what I mean. If I was in the office and my boss walks past me watching youtube videos then I doubt she would be thrilled. No issue with that in my own flat.