When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Believe it or not,in my household I'm probably the most anti lockdown/mask. My missus definitely more nervous, thinks restrictions being lifted too soon, says she will carry on wearing a mask...whereas I am very much looking forward to not wearing a mask and being able to buy a drink at the bar and hopefully go to Manchester psych fest in September. My daughter is centrist. The dog thinks us humans are crazy. The hamster couldn't give a shit.

Same here, my mum is probably going to continue wearing a mask, I'll probably just see who's doing what when I'm there (I'll probably carry one with me in case). I think I'm more a centrist who's patience and willing to comply is being tested! For me it's the constant moving of the goalposts which is getting on my nerves so I'll continue to be relatively cautious but I'm more than ready to get back into the world as it was 

19 hours ago, Stretlow said:

Surely as the days go on now if the deaths stay as they are (still feel for those people) we've surely got the upper hand now with the Vaccines? Im seeing nothing but positives here... and I say this as someone who currently has it ...

Are you jabbed? Once. Twice. 

I can't be the only one who had never heard of Pagel until this thread. Never seen her on the news or anything else. I bet if I went down to my high street & asked 100 people "What do you think of Christina Pagel?", 99 of the answers would be "Who?"

Should she be silenced because she has a different opinion to you? That's not the kind of country I want to live in.

2 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I can't be the only one who had never heard of Pagel until this thread. Never seen her on the news or anything else. I bet if I went down to my high street & asked 100 people "What do you think of Christina Pagel?", 99 of the answers would be "Who?"

Should she be silenced because she has a different opinion to you? That's not the kind of country I want to live in.

The great barometer of efests is to ask your mum if they have heard of her … mine hasn’t 🙂 

11 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

The frothing-at-the-mouth obsession with Pagel in this thread has been completely out of sorts with any other Covid thread or forum I've been reading over the past year, who treat her like they do any other twitter and media talking head that occasionally says interesting things and occasionally nonsense things. It's absolutely wild to see the disconnect and how this place views her through a lens that's deeply disproportionate to her real-world profile and influence and fame.

I predict that reopening anxiety is gonna cause a few arguments. I am all for opening up now but fully understand that some people are not confident with that. I hope everybody respects peoples wishes/feelings but you just know that isn’t going to happen (From both sides)

33 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

At every turn people like pagel have got everything they want - they put enough pressure to delay 21 June, they are doing the same thing now for July 19. 

Really? Lockdown 1 was later than they wanted. No "firebreak" in Sept/Oct. 2nd lockdown too late & ended too soon. Restrictions relaxed at Xmas. The delay to step 4 seems to be the only time "people like Pagel" have got what they wanted.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

In the end it's a balance. I mean ideally you'd wait till everyone vaccinated before opening up, but these are people's lives and livelihoods too...so you weigh up the risks and make a decision. That's what is happening, and looks like decision is open up. 

That mental health aspect is huge. There’s going to be so much anxiety (and culture wars) coming across all age groups in the months ahead.

21 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I have a horrible feeling I might have been either the first or one of the first to start sharing her tweets on here.

5 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Really? Lockdown 1 was later than they wanted. No "firebreak" in Sept/Oct. 2nd lockdown too late & ended too soon. Restrictions relaxed at Xmas. The delay to step 4 seems to be the only time "people like Pagel" have got what they wanted.

The pandemic does seem to have caused a huge increase in selective memories in certain sections of society.

17 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

That mental health aspect is huge. There’s going to be so much anxiety (and culture wars) coming across all age groups in the months ahead.

I think we need to respect our individual differences about the perception of risk when the restrictions are dropped. Don’t shame people for not wearing masks, and don’t shame those who choose to continue to wear them for example. 

I would have no issue going to a rave tomorrow, but I respect that for many others that would be seen as dangerous or frightening. These people will need to take their time coming back to normality and we need to respect that, and gently encourage them back, not ridicule their anxieties even if they seem disproportionate to us. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I could always just ignore Boris Johnson too if I disagreed with him.

I’m not ignoring her because what she is doing is causing damage and harm to people and there needs to be a counter voice.

I was going to reply to your points but it seems a few people have covered what I was going to say.

I will just say that people disagreeing with you disagreeing with Pagel isn't gaslighting, it's just people disagreeing with you. It's allowed. 

I do also sincerely think you'd be better stepping away from these Twitter threads. I honestly don't think its good for you (the collective you, not specifically you). Being informed is good. Being obsessed isn't. Especially when you can't really make any difference.

I can't help but notice that my friends who don't read much of this stuff and just read enough to know what they should and shouldn't be doing are generally pretty happy. The ones who don't pay any attention and don't have much idea what's going on are usually happier still but I'm not sure we should be copying them either. 

10 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I was going to reply to your points but it seems a few people have covered what I was going to say.

I will just say that people disagreeing with you disagreeing with Pagel isn't gaslighting, it's just people disagreeing with you. It's allowed. 

I do also sincerely think you'd be better stepping away from these Twitter threads. I honestly don't think its good for you (the collective you, not specifically you). Being informed is good. Being obsessed isn't. Especially when you can't really make any difference.

I can't help but notice that my friends who don't read much of this stuff and just read enough to know what they should and shouldn't be doing are generally pretty happy. The ones who don't pay any attention and don't have much idea what's going on are usually happier still but I'm not sure we should be copying them either. 

I did not know what Gaslighting was so went to find out.

I am baffled to understand how anything on this thread is seem in any was as gaslighting. It is simply different opinions.

As for disagreeing with a scientist when not having any scientific qualifications yourself that does rather leave yourself open to people having a disagreement.

Maybe we will all return to the old world when this shitstorm is over - but I think the seed of division and extreme disagrement has grown all too well in the last 18 months.

32 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I did not know what Gaslighting was so went to find out.

I am baffled to understand how anything on this thread is seem in any was as gaslighting. It is simply different opinions.

As for disagreeing with a scientist when not having any scientific qualifications yourself that does rather leave yourself open to people having a disagreement.

Maybe we will all return to the old world when this shitstorm is over - but I think the seed of division and extreme disagrement has grown all too well in the last 18 months.

It's quite a handy word to throw around if you want to shut someone down

• Upvote 1