When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

29 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Fake SAGE upset

I know we have to caveat this with a lag, but how is this not 'very promising'?Screenshot_20210704-095855_Twitter.jpg

And also we're still continuing the vaccine rollout and certainly not giving up on it

How negative and pessimistic can they be? If there was genuine concern there would be far more scientific voices speaking out now than just her and indie sage

Edited by Chapple12345

Reasonable!

Prof Adam Finn, from the government’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI). He told Sky News’s Trevor Phillips on Sunday programme:

Well, on a personal level I shall certainly be continuing to wear a mask if I’ve got any symptoms or if I’m in an enclosed space with lots of other people for a prolonged period of time, indefinitely in fact …

I think, as paediatricians, we learned that we can avoid massive problems with children getting sick in the winter by doing these kind of measures.

We simply didn’t see the epidemics of respiratory viruses last winter that we’ve seen every year throughout my career. So I actually now completely understand it, whereas I was puzzled before when I saw Asian people on the tube wearing masks in the pre-pandemic era.

So I think mask-wearing is obviously something we’ve learned is extremely valuable to do under certain circumstances. That doesn’t mean I’ll wear a mask all the time but it does mean I will some of the time.

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Reasonable!

Prof Adam Finn, from the government’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI). He told Sky News’s Trevor Phillips on Sunday programme:

Well, on a personal level I shall certainly be continuing to wear a mask if I’ve got any symptoms or if I’m in an enclosed space with lots of other people for a prolonged period of time, indefinitely in fact …

I think, as paediatricians, we learned that we can avoid massive problems with children getting sick in the winter by doing these kind of measures.

We simply didn’t see the epidemics of respiratory viruses last winter that we’ve seen every year throughout my career. So I actually now completely understand it, whereas I was puzzled before when I saw Asian people on the tube wearing masks in the pre-pandemic era.

So I think mask-wearing is obviously something we’ve learned is extremely valuable to do under certain circumstances. That doesn’t mean I’ll wear a mask all the time but it does mean I will some of the time.

Yeah completely reasonable, personally I'd wear one in a shop but probably not a restaraunt or somewhere like that, probably not if I'm back gigging either - I do worry there will be a culture war around it all now when I think everyone is perfectly entitled to do what makes makes feel comfortable, for example I think my mum would want to keep it on 

Edited by Chapple12345

32 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

How on earth could anyone say there is nothing promising in the data? What about deaths remaining very low and hospitalisations too for starters.

I don’t know how many times I have to say it but it’s projection. She’s got a doomsayer view of the world and will always look at the negatives. It’s always worst case scenario. She’s probably someone with a lot of reopening anxiety herself so she’s pushing back on it.

12 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I know we have to caveat this with a lag, but how is this not 'very promising'?Screenshot_20210704-095855_Twitter.jpg

And also we're still continuing the vaccine rollout and certainly not giving up on it

How negative and pessimistic can they be? If there was genuine concern there would be far more scientific voices speaking out now than just her and indie sage

Because this is political. Indie SAGE were set up to oppose the governments response to coronavirus at every turn.

If she admits things are doing well it is seen as an approval of Boris Johnson. So she won’t do it.

6 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Yeah completely reasonable, personally I'd wear one in a shop but probably not a restaraunt or somewhere like that, probably not if I'm back gigging either - I do worry there will be a culture war around it all now when I think everyone is perfectly entitled to do what makes makes feel comfortable, for example I think my mum would want to keep it on 

Fraud Jenrick was on the radio saying ‘We’ll be moving to a place where private citizens won’t need to be told by the government what to do.

21 hours ago, steviewevie said:

She isn't saying zero covid, 

Pretty huge dog whistle for zero Covid here.

Some serious Helen lovejoy behaviour here. It’s also extremely unrealistic and I thought she was a scientist.

Shes an absolute nutter - she’s now advocating that double jabbed people should not have any freedoms 

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Because this is political. Indie SAGE were set up to oppose the governments response to coronavirus at every turn.

If she admits things are doing well it is seen as an approval of Boris Johnson. So she won’t do it.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

She’s probably someone with a lot of reopening anxiety herself so she’s pushing back on it.

If you look at the replies half the people seem to be EU supporters so I can definitely see that view. On the second point I agree I think they're so worried about reopening because of the governments past failures (which is totally justified) that they can't see just how much the situation has improved. Everyone needs to do what makes them feel safest but with so many people now vaccinated I think it's now or never for reopening 

3 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

If you look at the replies half the people seem to be EU supporters so I can definitely see that view. On the second point I agree I think they're so worried about reopening because of the governments past failures (which is totally justified) that they can't see just how much the situation has improved. Everyone needs to do what makes them feel safest but with so many people now vaccinated I think it's now or never for reopening 

Look - I was probably too harsh a few weeks ago, what I sympathise with is that some people will have reopening anxiety because (a) they’ve probably been very good during the pandemic and actually stayed at home for most of it, (b) they don’t trust the government (which is understandable but you know), and (c) some people… have probably enjoyed lockdown. It’s crazy to think but if you are someone like her who spends most of her time with her head in books and not likely to go to mass events like festivals, then lockdown was probably quite nice. You probably don’t want the ‘norm’ to change.

But this is unsustainable. What angers me is she completely ignores the counter arguments about mental health or loneliness, probably because she doesn’t sympathise with them at all and enjoys living in lockdown.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Look - I was probably too harsh a few weeks ago, what I sympathise with is that some people will have reopening anxiety because (a) they’ve probably been very good during the pandemic and actually stayed at home for most of it, (b) they don’t trust the government (which is understandable but you know), and (c) some people… have probably enjoyed lockdown. It’s crazy to think but if you are someone like her who spends most of her time with her head in books and not likely to go to mass events like festivals, then lockdown was probably quite nice. You probably don’t want the ‘norm’ to change.

But this is unsustainable. What angers me is she completely ignores the counter arguments about mental health or loneliness, probably because she doesn’t sympathise with them at all and enjoys living in lockdown.

Matt how do you know what she gets up to in her spare time ? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Matt42 said:

She’s a pretty heavy research professor. Not exactly one for spare time.

I’d imagine she has holidays … wasn’t so long ago people were talking about her going camping on this very thread … I’m glad u feel u r able to make assumptions on what people get up to based on a profession ? … she’s a human being she will enjoy relaxation time and rest just like the rest of us 

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Shes an absolute nutter - she’s now advocating that double jabbed people should not have any freedoms 

She’s not saying that, she saying if a double vaxed person is identified as a close contact of a positive case then it’s madness to allow them to go about there business, without either a period of isolation or testing. 

and you know what she right, I would say 3 day isolation then daily test for another 5 should be the rule. 

11 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

She’s not saying that, she saying if a double vaxed person is identified as a close contact of a positive case then it’s madness to allow them to go about there business, without either a period of isolation or testing. 

and you know what she right, I would say 3 day isolation then daily test for another 5 should be the rule. 

That’s it, she hasn’t called for any lockdowns to come back, she wants some measures in place to prevent another lockdown which would bring about much more mental health problems.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

How on earth do we ever move out of lockdown if people who are double jabbed will be going in and out of self isolation. Literally apply this to reality. It won’t work.

We need to move to a point where we are only isolating confirmed cases. We can’t isolate exposures anymore. What’s the point in getting the vaccine? Think hard about this.

23 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Im sorry but i disagree, i was pro lockdown and have been pretty good with rules but the vaccines are kicking its arse which was surely the plan. If the deaths are now at an acceptable level, and i use that term in the most considerate way possible then why shouldnt people now be allowed to go about their business?

Adhered to guidlines.... Check.

Vaccinated.... Check

Hospitals ok..... check

minimal demographic now at risk.... check.

We have to get on with it

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

How on earth do we ever move out of lockdown if people who are double jabbed will be going in and out of self isolation. Literally apply this to reality. It won’t work.

We need to move to a point where we are only isolating confirmed cases. We can’t isolate exposures anymore. What’s the point in getting the vaccine? Think hard about this.

How do you isolate confirmed cases when no one is testing in that scenario?

the vaccine is to prevent death and serious illness which it’s doing. But not everyone has had the chance to double jab. 

im not saying forevermore just whilst everyone has had the chance to get 2 jabs. After that it then fine. 

I don’t think we are too far away from each other it’s just a matter of timings. 

2 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

How do you isolate confirmed cases when no one is testing in that scenario?

the vaccine is to prevent death and serious illness which it’s doing. But not everyone has had the chance to double jab. 

im not saying forevermore just whilst everyone has had the chance to get 2 jabs. After that it then fine. 

I don’t think we are too far away from each other it’s just a matter of timings. 

From what i've read (happy to be proven wrong) the demographic of people who are still to have a second jab makes up pretty much none of the people still being admitted to hospital.

Theres absolutly no logic in delaying anymore

8 minutes ago, JoshD said:

So promising. I think Gina Coladangelo did us all a huge favour!

Yep … It’s almost as if the whole thing wasn’t engineered to play out exactly the way it is has done!

Edited by st dan