When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

25 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

From what I'm seeing it's not quite as binary as that. People going out, but less than they normally would. Certainly the case for me and those around me. I won't not go in a shop if I need something, but I also won't just pop in to see what they have. We've gone out to a few cafes but certainly wouldn't go to ones that were overcrowded and ignoring the rules.

If all the capacity restrictions get lifted on July 19 then we likely won't go anywhere for the two weeks until our second doses kick in. But even then I think it's probably fundamentally changed our relationship with crowded places - not that we won't go to them, but we'll be a lot more picky - plus we've picked up hobbies and ways of seeing people when pubs/restaurants haven't been an option that we quite enjoy and want to continue which is time and money that might otherwise have been spent elsewhere.

If it's mild enough to stop you working your employer will care.

Problem is our main shortage is staff, not infrastructure. Training up staff takes a long time, and bringing them in from abroad still means some training and it's politically difficult at the moment. And on top of that you have the massive amount of healthcare workers that quite frankly want out at this point. They were horrendously let down by the government on PPE and on policy around triage, they've been working all hours for over a year and putting themselves and their families at greater risk, and the government doesn't seem interested in doing anything to retain them. I think they'd still lose a tonne of people if they offered everyone a 20% pay increase, I think we're in real trouble that they're not even offering that.

This is a good point. I had dinner with a friend last night and we were saying that just going for a walk and a coffee in the park with someone to catch up is something we’d never do pre covid but something we’d like to keep doing. 

40 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Ah almost exactly on cue, the masks culture war has started 

3141B852-CE65-40C4-B1F4-FE8CFEF5CD6C.png

An old fella had a go at me and my other half the other day for not wearing a mask in my elderly relative's apartment building, despite him not wearing one himself... Guessing he assumed we were unvaccinated when in fact I've had one dose and my partner has had both

2 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

An old fella had a go at me and my other half the other day for not wearing a mask in my elderly relative's apartment building, despite him not wearing one himself... Guessing he assumed we were unvaccinated when in fact I've had one dose and my partner has had both

Since when did you have to wear one in an apartment building? 

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

Since when did you have to wear one in an apartment building? 

Don't think you do but was absolutely shit himself, immediately scrambled to his car to get his own mask. There'll definitely be a divide over masks unfortunately

Just now, andyrhodes24 said:

Don't think you do but was absolutely shit himself, immediately scrambled to his car to get his own mask. There'll definitely be a divide over masks unfortunately

There is now .. it won’t get any better or disappear … 

I thought I would be all up for reopening but I think I'll be wearing  a mask for the foreseeable. Mainly out of respect for those who are immunocompromised etc. 

I don't think this is anywhere near over, and I do wonder if the narrative/mood from the government might change now that by-election is over, similar to how it did after the local elections. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

There is now .. it won’t get any better or disappear … 

We should be used to agonising debate after Brexit, lockdowns etc but the thought of another row because someone does/doesn't want to wear a mask is just boring. If you feel safer wearing a mask, wear one. If you don't want to wear one, it won't be a legal requirement

11 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Pretty angry today...

I said about my kid being sent home to isolate because of a case in the class.  Well its now confirmed by PCR so she has 10 days to get through.  This is frustrating but it is what it is...

What makes me angry is the Whatsapp witch hunt to find out what kids it was, for everyone to declare how inconvenient it is for x,y and z reason and the private messages to me bitching about how the parent and child was out and about on Wednesday even thought they didn't do the test until Thursday morning and wouldn't of know until then.

WTF is wrong with people.   Imagine the parent and child feel shit enough right now.

I fucking hate people.

Which is why all of us must consider others at all times and think about what others might feel - not just dismissing their thoughts and concerns and certainly not calling them rude names.

In my time on this thread there are some that do this a lot.

You sir are one and did so to me very fast after I arrived.

Think about how you QUITE RIGHTLY feels about that What'sapp group and give consideration to all others mask or no mask and whether they think restrictions should remain or not.

Be kind

Peace and Love

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

We should be used to agonising debate after Brexit, lockdowns etc but the thought of another row because someone does/doesn't want to wear a mask is just boring. If you feel safer wearing a mask, wear one. If you don't want to wear one, it won't be a legal requirement

The issue is that masks give very little protection to the wearer but protection to those around them … that’s where frustration builds up … I’m undecided at present if I will continue wearing them … but people leaning over me breathing on me doesn’t make my feel great for definate 

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

Meanwhile in Oz, under political duress the PM here has announced a 'four step' plan out of Covid life, having finally realised the importance of focussing on hospitalisations and deaths rather than cases, as vaccinations increase (still just over 8% fully vaccinated at the moment). The move to each step will be triggered as vaccination targets are met, but of course, they don't know what they are yet so he wasn't able to give any detail beyond broad principle.

Literally 3 days ago he was putting shit on the rising cases in the UK. He's an absolute Muppet. Incoming flight caps cut by 50% by the state governments. Who knows if my flight and permanent return home in November will happen now.

20 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Pretty angry today...

I said about my kid being sent home to isolate because of a case in the class.  Well its now confirmed by PCR so she has 10 days to get through.  This is frustrating but it is what it is...

What makes me angry is the Whatsapp witch hunt to find out what kids it was, for everyone to declare how inconvenient it is for x,y and z reason and the private messages to me bitching about how the parent and child was out and about on Wednesday even thought they didn't do the test until Thursday morning and wouldn't of know until then.

WTF is wrong with people.   Imagine the parent and child feel shit enough right now.

I fucking hate people.

Thats exactly what i'd be putting on the group

12 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

The inference that he's some sort of football hooligan.

Punishing that as "assault" is definitely pushing the boundaries of the definition 

Are you familiar with the legal definition of assault?  It most definitely was assault.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/offences-against-person-incorporating-charging-standard#:~:text=An assault is any act,unlawful force to another person.

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

The issue is that masks give very little protection to the wearer but protection to those around them … that’s where frustration builds up … I’m undecided at present if I will continue wearing them … but people leaning over me breathing on me doesn’t make my feel great for definate 

Yeah definitely, I don’t like it when people reach round me to get something off the shelf at Morrison’s anyway never mind now but ultimately not wearing a mask is their choice. I’ll keep one on me and probably wear it if anywhere is particularly rammed

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

Meanwhile in Oz, under political duress the PM here has announced a 'four step' plan out of Covid life, having finally realised the importance of focussing on hospitalisations and deaths rather than cases, as vaccinations increase (still just over 8% fully vaccinated at the moment). The move to each step will be triggered as vaccination targets are met, but of course, they don't know what they are yet so he wasn't able to give any detail beyond broad principle.

This is a complete disgrace.

A four-step plan and it’s acknowledged they won’t even be entering step 2 until next year.

Meanwhile the UK is on track to bin all restrictions on social contact in just over two weeks.

Anyone still think Australia has done better than us? 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

This is a complete disgrace.

A four-step plan and it’s acknowledged they won’t even be entering step 2 until next year.

Meanwhile the UK is on track to bin all restrictions on social contact in just over two weeks.

Anyone still think Australia has done better than us? 

The families of 130000?

3 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

The families of 130000?

I don’t think it’s even comparable, as you say we have 130k deaths in the U.K. which is one of the highest in the world. Australia clearly has done better on the whole with their handling of the pandemic.