When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Nobody Interesting said:

The situation has changed heaps so if daily figures are released they need to change heaps.

How about percentage of cases that end in hospitalisation or death with cases from previous waves shown for comparison.

Simply putting emphasis on daily cases like we still are is scaring some - I know, friends of mine are scared after 18 months of shielding.

yep and thats kind of my thoughts too ... although ive been out and about for longer now ... I can sympathise with those that have been scared by it , those people need to start being active members of society once more and the headline case figure of 26,000 a day today wont be helping .... 

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

In that case, maybe the time has come to open up the opportunity to everyone to bring forward their second jab, where possible

If you get the chance, go back and watch yesterday's Scottish briefing with Nicola Sturgeon and the CMO Gregor Smith, where this very point was raised.

Basically, the CMO said that whilst the JCVI were happy to reduce the gap from 12 weeks to 8 in order to give more people the opportunity to become fully vaccinated more quickly, the JCVI were quite clear that the gap should NOT be reduced any further than 8 weeks.

The reason for this is that AstraZeneca is proven to be more effective with a longer gap and early evidence is showing this is also the case with Pfizer. If we shorten it too much, then we risk the protection "wearing off" more quickly in people and the potential that protection will wear off before the winter season in a few months, which is the last thing we want. So there's a trade off between fully vaccinating people quickly and ensuring we get adequate medium-to-long term protection.

In an ideal world where Delta hadn't taken over (Remember that one dose works well against the previous variants) we'd be sticking with 12 weeks as it gives better protection in the longer term.

22 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Why are the vaccination rates so low? Surely the only way of breaking the current cycle is to get everyone jabbed asap?

Oxford vaccine basically done all it can now and vaccinations now reliant on Pfizer / moderna  so defo some supply issues 

17 minutes ago, incident said:

It is, but I think we're starting to hit the level of resistance. At this point, everyone has had the chance to have a first jab so it's time to start being blunt with those that haven't taken it.

I think that we've reached the time where the Government need to make it clear that if there's a situation in the future when the NHS has to start making decisions on prioritising care for people, then those who've chosen to remain unvaccinated will be at the back of the queue. Even though it's not a nice thing to say out loud, it's going to work like that in practice anyway as they'll likely be the ones with the more severe symptoms and so more difficult to treat / less chance to help them. Might as well make it official.

Presumably you mean only if they go in with coivd right?

Edited by efcfanwirral

3 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Yes, but then we should publish daily death rates for cancers, etc. Now that would properly scare everyone....

Cancer isn’t contagious, and peoples actions don’t affect its spread in the same way.
Comparing it with flu would be an interesting experiment, if a bloody expensive one.

Edited by balthazarstarbuck

Just now, balthazarstarbuck said:

Cancer isn’t contagious, and
Comparing  it 

Cancer is mainly preventable, there’s a lot lot more we could be doing to reduce cancer deaths (which will most likely rise as the NHS hasn’t been keeping up), so why are these preventable deaths any less important than COVID deaths? In many respects it’s much more important as it kills more people than this pandemic.

4 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Cancer is mainly preventable, there’s a lot lot more we could be doing to reduce cancer deaths (which will most likely rise as the NHS hasn’t been keeping up), so why are these preventable deaths any less important than COVID deaths? In many respects it’s much more important as it kills more people than this pandemic.

You typically don't catch it on a potential bus ride to work though do you?

Just now, incident said:

Yes, absolutely - and I suspect that'll happen fairly soon - aside from anything else it'll mean that they can shut down the mass vaccination centres sooner and save a bit of cash that way.

There comes a point in time when you're either on board or you're not. The vaccines work and that's an undeniable fact. I'm usually pretty liberal with these kinds of things but I'm starting to lose patience and think that those who want to (safely) push forward are being held back by a group that has a very counterproductive outlook. At what point do we say, if you've been offered a jab and you've not taken it for anything other than physical or mental health reasons, you're on your own? 

7 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

There comes a point in time when you're either on board or you're not. The vaccines work and that's an undeniable fact. I'm usually pretty liberal with these kinds of things but I'm starting to lose patience and think that those who want to (safely) push forward are being held back by a group that has a very counterproductive outlook. At what point do we say, if you've been offered a jab and you've not taken it for anything other than physical or mental health reasons, you're on your own? 

I tend to agree, but there are a group of people - some on this forum who seem to want to push ahead with absolute reckless abandon. I mean we had people on here yesterday saying people should go an intentionally become infected.

But we shouldn't be protecting anti Vax groups.

23 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

If you get the chance, go back and watch yesterday's Scottish briefing with Nicola Sturgeon and the CMO Gregor Smith, where this very point was raised.

Basically, the CMO said that whilst the JCVI were happy to reduce the gap from 12 weeks to 8 in order to give more people the opportunity to become fully vaccinated more quickly, the JCVI were quite clear that the gap should NOT be reduced any further than 8 weeks.

The reason for this is that AstraZeneca is proven to be more effective with a longer gap and early evidence is showing this is also the case with Pfizer. If we shorten it too much, then we risk the protection "wearing off" more quickly in people and the potential that protection will wear off before the winter season in a few months, which is the last thing we want. So there's a trade off between fully vaccinating people quickly and ensuring we get adequate medium-to-long term protection.

In an ideal world where Delta hadn't taken over (Remember that one dose works well against the previous variants) we'd be sticking with 12 weeks as it gives better protection in the longer term.

I went for my second today, the place I went were doing both, and both walk ins and bookings but they were turning people away if the Pfizer was < 6 and AZ < 8 weeks