When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

This is pretty shocking, I genuinely believe some of them just want us in endless limbo 

Gotta get used to these I guess. Nearer we get to freedom, the more these geeks will be running to the media trying to keep us locked down longer

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Britain should stop publishing daily figures on Covid-19 case rates because the virus is now a “long way from being an important cause” of death, a vaccine advisor has said. 

Prof Robert Dingwall, a member of the UK Government’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, urged people to stop panicking about the current rising infection levels, which may only be reflecting a “last wave of mild infections” among unvaccinated youths. 

“It is well past time to panic about infection rates and to publish them obsessively. Even hospitalisation rates are increasingly misleading as better therapy reduces length of stay. Covid is now a long way from being an important cause of mortality,” the Nervtag scientist tweeted. 

He joins a growing number of MPs and leading scientists, including Prof Tim Spector, of King’s College London, warning the daily slew of Covid statistics are terrifying people and they lack any context, such as figures on flu, heart disease and cancer. 

Conservative MPs are pressing Downing Street to follow officials in Quebec, Canada, and Singapore by moving to weekly updates or similar, ahead of the July 19 unlocking.

Prof Dingwall added: “A reminder: medicine cannot deliver immortality and it is profoundly damaging to society to imply that it can, if only we try hard enough.”

Sorry about huge text it's how it copied form the telegraph.co.uk 

Yup. Smart guy who seems to get it. 

14 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Britain should stop publishing daily figures on Covid-19 case rates because the virus is now a “long way from being an important cause” of death, a vaccine advisor has said. 

Prof Robert Dingwall, a member of the UK Government’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, urged people to stop panicking about the current rising infection levels, which may only be reflecting a “last wave of mild infections” among unvaccinated youths. 

“It is well past time to panic about infection rates and to publish them obsessively. Even hospitalisation rates are increasingly misleading as better therapy reduces length of stay. Covid is now a long way from being an important cause of mortality,” the Nervtag scientist tweeted. 

He joins a growing number of MPs and leading scientists, including Prof Tim Spector, of King’s College London, warning the daily slew of Covid statistics are terrifying people and they lack any context, such as figures on flu, heart disease and cancer. 

Conservative MPs are pressing Downing Street to follow officials in Quebec, Canada, and Singapore by moving to weekly updates or similar, ahead of the July 19 unlocking.

Prof Dingwall added: “A reminder: medicine cannot deliver immortality and it is profoundly damaging to society to imply that it can, if only we try hard enough.”

This this this. 

14 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I'm inclined to agree with this.

I still look at the daily case numbers every day and I'd say the majority of people come across them, either by choice or seeing them on the news, etc.

The quickest way to get things back to normal is probably to stop publicising these figures every day.

1 minute ago, northernringo said:

I'm inclined to agree with this.

I still look at the daily case numbers every day and I'd say the majority of people come across them, either by choice or seeing them on the news, etc.

The quickest way to get things back to normal is probably to stop publicising these figures every day.

I don't understand this logic...

Is peoples solution to a potential problem, to pretend it isn't there....?

Just now, MrBarry465 said:

I guess its once it stops having a  significant impact on the  health service which it isnt currently .... publishing the figures does have an effect of its own so its not entirely without consequence .... again its a balance ... 

I like viewing the figures everyday, I find it interesting to see what the current state of affairs is and find data like this interesting anyway. I also feel as we reopen fully it’s pretty important to see the current state of affairs. 

It’s just very selective to me. The numbers were being trumpeted from the rooftops when they were going down (data not dates etc) Now they’re going up again, and they’re inconvenient to our narrative, we’re going to pretend they don’t exist.

I agree cases isn’t as important a metric as it was, but hospitalisations is still important (as a metric even more important than deaths in my view)- and it really reduces the transparency. Really reduces people’s ability to use their judgement if they don’t know how things are going as well (I’ve started cycling journeys I would otherwise use the train for because cases are going up). 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I like viewing the figures everyday, I find it interesting to see what the current state of affairs is and find data like this interesting anyway. I also feel as we reopen fully it’s pretty important to see the current state of affairs. 

I agree, being transparent with people is totally fine.

Trying to hide information from people is dishonest.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

If you're interested in that sort of thing I cannot recommend enough The Ministry For The Future by Kim Stanley Robinson - it's sci-fi that starts now and traces a possible future where we actually manage to save the environment. It's got some properly fascinating ideas in it, but one that stuck with me and seems really relevant now, especially, is now remote working impacts travel. 

Because if I can work anywhere, I don't need to fly to the US for my holiday. Because I don't need to get to the US in 8 hours and get back in the same because I only have so much paid annual leave. I can book on an ocean liner, one that's been developed for remote workers, with it's own office space, and I can spent a pleasant week at sea, working but also being catered for, sort of a nice pre-holiday. Then do the same on the way back. If you do that at scale, it's not as expensive as it is now either. 

Inland is more difficult but the same logic applies, start fitting trains out as pleasant environments for people to work in and you change the whole thing - urgency of travel mostly goes away so slower but more environmentally friendly methods become superior.

Also: airships.

Book here if it's intrigued anyone: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ministry-Future-Kim-Stanley-Robinson-ebook/dp/B08C5DWVRK/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ministry+of+the+future&qid=1625063176&sr=8-1

I love this kind of shit. I actually read another of his books (New York 2140) which I enjoyed for all the futurology stuff but wasn’t particularly taken by the story itself, so haven’t looked at the rest of his work - same deal with this one, or should I pick it up?

(Apologies for going very off topic)

Just now, MrBarry465 said:

I agree, being transparent with people is totally fine.

Trying to hide information from people is dishonest.

so how about the cases being available on gov.uk like they currently are .... but not included every day in local news forecasts .... transparent enough so people can find them if they so wish ... 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

so how about the cases being available on gov.uk like they currently are .... but not included every day in local news forecasts .... transparent enough so people can find them if they so wish ... 

That would be fine, I don’t hear about them from the news anyway. 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

They should still be available on mainstream news websites - they don't need to be headlined.

But you are to some degree trying to 'hide' information from people.

1 minute ago, MrBarry465 said:

They should still be available on mainstream news websites - they don't need to be headlined.

But you are to some degree trying to 'hide' information from people.

its not hidden though ... its on a publicly accessible website ... , they are currently at the end of the local bulletins so not headlined anyway ... but as case numbers mean less perhaps they should use another metric  ... like just hospitalisations without cases  as people can see what that actually means rather than some massive number that seems to have less relevance now 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Why are the vaccination rates so low? Surely the only way of breaking the current cycle is to get everyone jabbed asap?

It is, but I think we're starting to hit the level of resistance. At this point, everyone has had the chance to have a first jab so it's time to start being blunt with those that haven't taken it.

I think that we've reached the time where the Government need to make it clear that if there's a situation in the future when the NHS has to start making decisions on prioritising care for people, then those who've chosen to remain unvaccinated will be at the back of the queue. Even though it's not a nice thing to say out loud, it's going to work like that in practice anyway as they'll likely be the ones with the more severe symptoms and so more difficult to treat / less chance to help them. Might as well make it official.

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Why are the vaccination rates so low? Surely the only way of breaking the current cycle is to get everyone jabbed asap?

The vaccine has been offered to every adult in the UK now. If the vaccination rates are low, it's simply because the overwhelming majority of people who want it have had it by now.

The main way to increase it is to encourage people who've not yet taken up the option of it to go out and get it. I'm talking education campaigns (Community leaders in certain areas have a role to play there), I'm talking breaking down barriers to vaccination (More walk-in clinics in areas that have poor uptake so far) Go and encourage people who haven't come forward yet to come out and get jabbed.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

It is, but I think we're starting to hit the level of resistance. At this point, everyone has had the chance to have a first jab so it's time to start being blunt with those that haven't taken it.

I think that we've reached the time where the Government need to make it clear that if there's a situation in the future when the NHS has to start making decisions on prioritising care for people, then those who've chosen to remain unvaccinated will be at the back of the queue. Even though it's not a nice thing to say out loud, it's going to work like that in practice anyway as they'll likely be the ones with the more severe symptoms and so more difficult to treat / less chance to help them. Might as well make it official.

In that case, maybe the time has come to open up the opportunity to everyone to bring forward their second jab, where possible

24 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

19 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I guess its once it stops having a  significant impact on the  health service which it isnt currently .... publishing the figures does have an effect of its own so its not entirely without consequence .... again its a balance ... 

The situation has changed heaps so if daily figures are released they need to change heaps.

How about percentage of cases that end in hospitalisation or death with cases from previous waves shown for comparison.

Simply putting emphasis on daily cases like we still are is scaring some - I know, friends of mine are scared after 18 months of shielding.

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

In that case, maybe the time has come to open up the opportunity to everyone to bring forward their second jab, where possible

Yes, absolutely - and I suspect that'll happen fairly soon - aside from anything else it'll mean that they can shut down the mass vaccination centres sooner and save a bit of cash that way.