When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Wouldn't be happy but would be fine if it was necessary. Especially if it were a regular, known thing - it'd be much easier as nothing would be scheduled over those weeks, so you wouldn't 'miss' anything, businesses would adapt and so on. 

I don't think anything COVID related would necessitate this though. 

no thanks. Im a person, not a bloody bear

Incredible to see people saying they would accept lockdowns every winter. Desperately hope that's not a widely held view. 

If this results in us exceeding NHS capacity every winter (which I highly doubt) then the answer is to increase hospital bed capacity, not to stick everyone under house arrest for 3 months and kill off the hospitality industry. 

2 minutes ago, El Matador said:

Incredible to see people saying they would accept lockdowns every winter. Desperately hope that's not a widely held view. 

If this results in us exceeding NHS capacity every winter (which I highly doubt) then the answer is to increase hospital bed capacity, not to stick everyone under house arrest for 3 months and kill off the hospitality industry. 

Well the question wasn't "should we do it?" it was "could you cope with it if it was needed?"

I don't see it being needed in this case but if in future it was necessary because of some other more virulent and far more deadly pandemic then yeah, it would be something I could deal with. I think most would be the same.

4 minutes ago, El Matador said:

Yep, it's worrying and absolutely insane. How can people be so unbothered about losing a chunk of their life? Blows my mind.

5 minutes ago, El Matador said:

Nobody is cheering it on from the sidelines, I just said it might become a situation with regards to 'living with it'.

You also need to

A) Recruit staff

B) Train staff

C) Increase pay for NHS staff

What good are beds if there is nobodyto station them?

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yep, it's worrying and absolutely insane. How can people be so unbothered about losing a chunk of their life? Blows my mind.

People used to say seatbelts are idiotic and pointless.

What society deems as 'acceptable' changes over time. It's not for you to decide individually.

3 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Here’s what will actually happen over the next 5 years IMO.

Remember that a normal flu season kills 5,000-7,000 and a bad flu season kills 20,000.

Basically flu and covid will combine to make every winter “bad” for the next 5 years and we’ll be looking at 20,000-30,000 deaths per winter from respiratory viruses until a sterilising vaccine is found.

Annual booster jabs for over 50’s (given alongside flu jabs) will prevent an even higher number of deaths and the NHS being in danger of overwhelm.

We’ll see a bit of a culture shift where people are encouraged to stay at home as much as possible if they get sick, and if they absolutely do have to go out they would be advised to wear a face covering in indoor spaces. Coverings will not be mandatory or even recommended in healthy individuals.

Annual lockdowns aren’t even part of the equation unless we start seeing exponential growth in hospitalisations and death numbers like we did in March 2020 and January 2021. 

I'm not gonna lie, I read that first line and thought, oh god, he's about to go off on one! But that's actually pretty close to where my thinking is

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

It's probably the people had no life pre covid anyway. Also, only people with well paid jobs they can get furloughed from or work from home too. Their ignorance is astounding. 

2 hours ago, swede said:

My theory is you and Barry Fish are the same guy with two accounts arguing with yourself for some self indulgent amusement 

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

No fucking way 

39 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

No fucking way

The last minute twist is, they don't know it. We're just living in an M Night Shyamalan film

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Not unbothered, just able to change.

What worries me is the sheer number of people in here who have absolutely crumbled at even the most minor changes in their lifestyles, and are still struggling with things like wearing masks or getting table service in a pub.

Lifestyles change, massively, throughout history, all the time. Things we take for granted go away. Things we never thought we wanted or needed take over our lives (the Internet).

We're entering a period of massive change, right now, both ecologically as the climate issue becomes harder and harder to ignore, to the geopolitical issues as China continues to grow and exert influence while having a very different society and culture to us.

This pandemic may have been the most upheaval you've had in your life up to now but believe me, it won't be the most upheaval you have to deal with, at least if you live the next twenty years.

God knows how the anti-maskers will react when they're conscripted for the water wars with China! 😄

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I’ve not actually seen anyone saying they are in favour of winter lockdowns .. just it’s a tool that (might ) be used …  18 months ago if we talked of lockdowns most people on here would have thought it would never happen … but here we are … it’s a very blunt tool not without repercussion … but we used it to stop the nhs becoming overwhelmed … it’s very hard to rule out absolutely… we just don’t know 

31 minutes ago, st dan said:

*pretends to be shocked*

It was pretty obvious really.   I was on one of the flights to London with my Mum the night before the match -  great fun it was -  I reckon were the only passengers not part of the TartanArmy.  

14 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Nobody is cheering it on from the sidelines, I just said it might become a situation with regards to 'living with it'.

You also need to

A) Recruit staff

B) Train staff

C) Increase pay for NHS staff

What good are beds if there is nobodyto station them?

Even the WHO say that lockdowns should only be used as a last resort to buy time whilst implementing other measures. You're not buying time for anything if you implement them on an annual basis. 

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Not unbothered, just able to change.

What worries me is the sheer number of people in here who have absolutely crumbled at even the most minor changes in their lifestyles, and are still struggling with things like wearing masks or getting table service in a pub.

Lifestyles change, massively, throughout history, all the time. Things we take for granted go away. Things we never thought we wanted or needed take over our lives (the Internet).

We're entering a period of massive change, right now, both ecologically as the climate issue becomes harder and harder to ignore, to the geopolitical issues as China continues to grow and exert influence while having a very different society and culture to us.

This pandemic may have been the most upheaval you've had in your life up to now but believe me, it won't be the most upheaval you have to deal with, at least if you live the next twenty years.

God knows how the anti-maskers will react when they're conscripted for the water wars with China! 😄

If you think what we’ve gone through in the past 15 months constitutes “minor changes” then I don’t know what to say to you. We’ve literally been legally banned from leaving our homes, with exceptions for a few essential activities, for half of the last 15 months. For the other half (roughly last summer and early autumn, early December to early January, and from late March this year onwards) we’ve not been formally locked down but have been living under varying degrees of incredibly tight restrictions such as indoor mixing bans, the rule of 6 etc.

It’s quite absurd to refer to that as “minor lifestyle changes” 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Havors said:

It's probably the people had no life pre covid anyway. Also, only people with well paid jobs they can get furloughed from or work from home too. Their ignorance is astounding. 

Please point me to any post where anyone even says anything like they 'want this to happen'.

We just said don't rule anything out ffs.

Just now, TGCarr said:

Massive news. Does this confirm festivals if indoor clubs can go ahead?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/dance-clubs-reopen-no-covid-tests-lockdown-vaccine-passports-b943401.html

I would think so. Nightclubs and indoor gigs are very similar in terms of crowd behaviour and if indoor gigs can go ahead then outdoor ones definitely can.

I think it’s going to be a full reopening on the 19th. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TGCarr said:

Massive news. Does this confirm festivals if indoor clubs can go ahead?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/dance-clubs-reopen-no-covid-tests-lockdown-vaccine-passports-b943401.html

The logistics of a festival and an indoor club are very different though.

Of course festivals can go ahead technically this year, but most of the big ones have pulled out and will try again next year. There might be some very last minute small festivals throughout August/September.

2 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Please point me to any post where anyone even says anything like they 'want this to happen'.

We just said don't rule anything out ffs.

Please point me the the post where I said this was the case....