When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

even if its not 22k today .... it will be in a few days anyway 😞 

I wouldn't be so concerned about the cases. They are all in kids and unvaccinated generally and that will run its course. Admissions and deaths are looking "good".

12 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Is the evidence in on whether vaccinating children would make a measurable difference? If not, my inclination would be to pause and assess whether it’s necessary rather than steamroll ahead with vaccinating every last person on the assumption that’s what’s needed.  

Estimates put Deltas R0 in the region of 7, meaning you need in the region of 86% for HI, and I don’t see how you get there any time soon without vaccinating under 18s. Has to be a choice obviously, but given it’s safer (and quicker) then trying to make everyone catch it, I’d want Pfizer/Moderna for over 12s.

True test is hospitalisations/occupancy this week. If they don’t go up by the same rate cases did last week then it’s a tentative good for the 19th.

I'm not sure if this is contentious or not but how much do the figures matter now if, and it's a bit IF, we have sufficient evidence to show that cases are not significantly translating through to hospital admissions and serious illness/death?

If we were tracking the common cold in such a fashion we'd prob be in the millions/month, but because it rarely leads to serious illness or death we'd probably all shrug at it.

How far away from that, putting potential for new Covid variants aside for a second, are we at present?

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

I'm not sure if this is contentious or not but how much do the figures matter now if, and it's a bit IF, we have sufficient evidence to show that cases are not significantly translating through to hospital admissions and serious illness/death?

If we were tracking the common cold in such a fashion we'd prob be in the millions/month, but because it rarely leads to serious illness or death we'd probably all shrug at it.

How far away from that, putting potential for new Covid variants aside for a second, are we at present?

This is why we will be opening up on 19th July. I will get told off for saying broken but I think its enough to say that the link between cases and admissions is broken enough. 

We are though in trouble of becoming case blind.... you can already see it on twitter with the hysterical people thinking the world is ending again because the case numbers. They are still treating them as though we are still in 2020. 

7 minutes ago, Havors said:

I wouldn't be so concerned about the cases. They are all in kids and unvaccinated generally and that will run its course. Admissions and deaths are looking "good".

not overly concerned although cases at the moment does have impacts .. hospitalisations of course will be lower .... but whilst we count cases it will have impacts on various things .... through people isolating etc ... headline numbers but still not entirely irrelevant 

31 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

I'd say that figures do matter, to show that cases numbers not converting into hospitalisations/deaths...or visa versa. But also....and this will probably be unpopular...the more cases, the more chance of a variant that causes us problems, and that is still something that will be worrying some people. I think in a few months maybe we'll hear about case numbers a bit less if things continue to improve with vaccinations.

What Javid said about lifting of remaining restrictions in England on 19 July

This is what Sajid Javid told MPs about going ahead with the lifting of remaining lockdown restrictions for England on 19 July. He said:

I spent my first day as health secretary just yesterday looking at the data and testing it to the limit.

While we decided not to bring forward step 4, we see no reason to go beyond July 19, because, in truth, no date we choose comes with zero risk for Covid.

We know we cannot simply eliminate it, we have to learn to live with it.

We also know that people and businesses need certainty, so we want every step to be irreversible.

And make no mistake, the restrictions on our freedom, they must come to an end.

We owe it to the British people, who have sacrificed so much, to restore their freedoms as quickly as we possibly can and not to wait a moment longer than we need to.

With the numbers heading in the right direction, all while we protect more and more people each day, July 19 remains our target date.

The prime minister has called it out ‘terminus date’. For me, July 19 is not only the end of the line, but the start of an exciting new journey for our country.

He looked at the data and tested it to the limit apparently.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Missed Saj...did he say that he will end lockdown because he is magic?

He read his pre written script really well and made sure he said 'Build Back Better' with added volume near the end.

Shame that when trying to answer any questions every word was preceeded by 'erm' several times.

53 minutes ago, Havors said:

This is why we will be opening up on 19th July. I will get told off for saying broken but I think its enough to say that the link between cases and admissions is broken enough. 

We are though in trouble of becoming case blind.... you can already see it on twitter with the hysterical people thinking the world is ending again because the case numbers. They are still treating them as though we are still in 2020. 

Yes I think the link is broken at last. I think any caution now, political or scientific, surrounds the possibility that even a comparatively lower admissions number will have a negative effect on clearing the 5 million case backlog as they need IC beds too as well to R&R. 

Today has been the first day that I've felt really down about summer tbh.....

Already nearly July, weather has been pretty shit all up really and looks like we won't be having any festivals to speak of this year.

Going to try and get away for the month of September if possible, I've just handed my notice in at work after 9 years at the company I'm working for so am wrapping up end of July.

Possibly just a comedown from the weekends antics as well....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2