When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

24 minutes ago, km9 said:

Any reason why you'd be happy going to reading at full capacity but not latitude?

Reading Festival is bigger, better and altogether, meaner and keener, than Lattitude!!! Saying that I preferred Global Gathering to both of them!!

14 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I was meaning more this insistence that everyone is following the rules when it really isn't the case anymore, support is defo slipping. Most people follow some of the rules most of the time but few people have followed all the rules since day 1, it is a borderline impossibility to have done so without locking yourself in your house for 18 months.

Pubs/ restaurants you don't have much of a choice when attending but clearly people are going to visit other people's homes in larger number than they are meant to. Even within pubs, are you seriously telling me that everyone you see puts their mask on when going to the toilet, follows all one way signs, doesn't stop to converse with people outwith their groups etc? That is not my experience.

I was at a Gin Festival at the weekend. Nobody wore masks and you went to get your own drinks at the stalls. The rules are barely there anymore. Removing masks and last few bits on the 19th is not likely to make much of an impact at this stage. 

4 minutes ago, Copperface said:

My sister is in Sydney and sent this in an email yesterday and being aircrew herself I'd assume there is some veracity to it.

We have now been placed in lockdown for  2 weeks due the Delta variant spread by a driver driving around overseas flight crew without a mask… as a result has spread like wildfire….82 cases

Sounds about right, 82 cases probably sounds like nothing, but we're not used to those numbers down here. At the same time there's been outbreaks in other states, all the Delta variant. It's got the government rattled. Of course, if they'd managed the vaccination rollout properly, we'd have a largely protected population by this point.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Indeed.  Especially one who has said he wants the pandemic to end as soon as possible by making his top priority giving the virus more opportunity to spread.

He's still a tory scumbag, but I've been consistent about wanting restrictions gone asap so I'm glad he's on that side of things.

On 6/26/2021 at 8:41 PM, Matt42 said:

I really don’t like Cummings but I read his tweets intensely. No idea why. Someone explain to me.

Its like I enjoy the drama?

For me it's because he's broadly right. He thinks there needs to be a complete overhaul of the civil service to ensure that it can get highly competent people with relevant skills - and he's totally right, given they need to run the actual country. But the way it's structured prevents that on an institutional level.

I disagree with how he's gone about trying to achieve that, but broadly he's spot on.

2 hours ago, sjseabass said:

If they wait until 12 July before saying ‘actually, no, Freedom Day isn’t really that, events still can’t happen’ there will be absolute uproar. Not saying they won’t do it, but they will essentially be taking full responsibility for killing off an entire industry.

You really think people will care more about that than foreign holidays? That's where the uproar will be, the events industry is low-hanging fruit like home working - they can keep it shut down without too many people getting upset. 

37 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

That's a weird thing to call out. If I go out I also see that most people in pubs and restaurants are in groups of 6 or fewer - is that not what you're seeing?

Now I'll admit that it's not particularly meaningful, because if I went out at any point pre-COVID most people in pubs and restaurants were also there in groups of 6 or fewer. That's generally how people go to pubs/restaurants. So for most people no effort is needed to follow the rules. 

If you're seeing people mostly being out in larger groups, that's really weird.

Since the pre-Christmas plans there have been two new variants of COVID. They're sequenced and there are scientific papers on them, you can read them, they are definitely real and definitely more infectious. Sure, new variants were always a possibility but they were never a certainty. It's not some conspiracy - we had a plan to open up or be open for specific dates and then a variant came along and scuppered that. Just bad luck. It could even happen again in the next few weeks. But there's no cunning government plan to keep us all on the edges of our seat - just bad luck with variants. 

Have you quoted the wrong post because that’s got absolute zero to do with anything I said?! 

20 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I was meaning more this insistence that everyone is following the rules when it really isn't the case anymore, support is defo slipping. Most people follow some of the rules most of the time but few people have followed all the rules since day 1, it is a borderline impossibility to have done so without locking yourself in your house for 18 months.

Pubs/ restaurants you don't have much of a choice when attending but clearly people are going to visit other people's homes in larger number than they are meant to. Even within pubs, are you seriously telling me that everyone you see puts their mask on when going to the toilet, follows all one way signs, doesn't stop to converse with people outwith their groups etc? That is not my experience.

You might be right - I just meant the original comment was saying "when I go out I mostly see people following the rules" and apparently that was bullshit. Which I just found really weird because with the exception of masks, when I went out pre-COVID I mostly saw people following the current rules. I saw very few groups of more than six indoors or thirty outdoors. There is probably more going on behind closed doors but having said that, most people don't have houses that comfortably fit more than six people in a lounge! Especially younger people. 

2 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

Have you quoted the wrong post because that’s got absolute zero to do with anything I said?! 

No, you were talking about "constant dangling of the carrot" over lifting lockdown when that's not the case - it's because stuff has happened (variants) that have changed the reality we're dealing with and hence things haven't happened when it was hoped they would.

30 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

You really think people will care more about that than foreign holidays? That's where the uproar will be, the events industry is low-hanging fruit like home working - they can keep it shut down without too many people getting upset. 

I meant more from the organisers and the thousands of people who work in events rather than the public as a whole. The statements being put out have been increasingly furious at the government over the last few months, if those still planning to go ahead get the rug pulled from under them at such short notice they will be absolutely mutinous.

47 minutes ago, stt11 said:

Reading Festival is bigger, better and altogether, meaner and keener, than Lattitude!!! Saying that I preferred Global Gathering to both of them!!

That's one opinion I suppose. Lots of kids would agree, lots of grown ups wouldn't. Anyway, it's good that not all festivals are the same. I hope reading goes ahead for you.

• Upvote 1