When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Very very impressive, judging by this they'll reach the 19th target and then they really won't have any excuses to not reopen 

Issue is of course that if the government try and move the dates even further back it will just demotivate the under 30’s to come forward. I really can’t see how they can do this now tbh.

The whole idea of being vaccinated but still trapped in this dystopian nightmare is fucking bizarre isn’t it?!

8 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Though would a hybrid system be so bad? Currently it's clearly not working and we have many more years of tory rule so funding it isn't an option - maybe we'll get lucky and get something that's not as bad the American system. Whatever is happening now isn't working and we don't have lots of options within the framework of the system and ruling party we currently have. A fully free NHS is only good if it actually works

Reading online discussions about healthcare in the UK, you’d sometimes think the only two possible options are the NHS or a rapacious capitalist private US-style model. 

We seem to have a real blind spot that most European countries use a hybrid public-private system. Many of them are better than ours both on health outcomes and value for money. 

I understand why the NHS is venerated as it is. But any discussion about its future immediately drags in historical political & social baggage that doesn’t really belong in a serious look at 21st century healthcare. 

That said, I absolutely do not trust our current clowns in charge to do anything sensible about it! 😐

8 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

We'll just have to see won't we. A former banker as health sec, Dido harding going for head of NHS...never let a good crisis go to waste

Though would a hybrid system be so bad? Currently it's clearly not working and we have many more years of tory rule so funding it isn't an option - maybe we'll get lucky and get something that's not as bad the American system. Whatever is happening now isn't working and we don't have lots of options within the framework of the system and ruling party we currently have. A fully free NHS is only good if it actually works

Which bit isnt working?

1 hour ago, Chapple12345 said:

Very very impressive, judging by this they'll reach the 19th target and then they really won't have any excuses to not reopen 

Incredible take up in such a short amount of time frame. Hopefully commentators know the media/politics will scrap the idea that the young aren’t interested in the vaccines. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

It failed phase 2 or 3 didn't it?  It was around December 2020 so it was fairly far along and they have ordered 50+ million doses.

You are wrong.  It was 100% the backbone and when it failed it exposed a huge shortfall they would now face.

https://www.bioworld.com/articles/501376-csl-university-of-queensland-quit-covid-19-vaccine-trials-due-to-hiv-antibody-response?v=preview

image.thumb.png.9cc520cf82489541ae7b132fde7a697d.png

But please tell me again how I am wrong

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It’s all over. New HS is a hawk. 22 days till freedom.

Which sounds great - but what is freedom. Festival test events still happening after the 19th so no change with those.

Traffic light system still existing for travel so little or no change with that unless you like to holiday in Europe maybe.

I am really not sure how freedom day as it is called will make much if any difference to our lives as we go to gigs and festivals and travel overseas for work to places that are all on the Red List.

I hope very much to be wrong and we are able to do these things again but I really do not se much evidence that we might be able to.

fingers crossed

Sajid Javid, the new health secretary, has recorded a brief clip for broadcasters. He said that his priority would be trying to ensure that people can return to normal, in terms of seeing Covid restrictions lifted, as soon as possible.

Here is the full quote.

I was honoured to take up this position. I also know that it comes with huge responsibility. And I will do everything I can to make sure that I deliver for the people of this great country.

We are still in a pandemic and I want to see that come to an end as soon as possible, and that will be my most immediate priority - to see that we can return to normal as soon and as quickly as possible.

6 minutes ago, Kusy said:

Edit

Screenshot_20210627-132558_Chrome.jpg

Sounds promising, I do think the 19th will happen especially as the vaccines have been doing a good job so far with reducing hospitalisations and deaths. It amazes me though even with rising cases there's been no indication of rolling back or enforcing restrictions from any leading  experts, if that's the case I do wonder if releasing daily figures is going to be stopped if we're not focusing so much on them 

1 minute ago, Chapple12345 said:

Sounds promising, I do think the 19th will happen especially as the vaccines have been doing a good job so far with reducing hospitalisations and deaths. It amazes me though even with rising cases there's been no indication of rolling back or enforcing restrictions from any leading  experts, if that's the case I do wonder if releasing daily figures is going to be stopped if we're not focusing so much on them 

Eventually, not yet.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Eventually, not yet.

Yeah I'm not sure, like even if they announced it middle and end of the week for the total during those days it would probably make more sense that reporting daily and people getting obsessed over every rise and fall 

1 minute ago, Chapple12345 said:

Yeah I'm not sure, like even if they announced it middle and end of the week for the total during those days it would probably make more sense that reporting daily and people getting obsessed over every rise and fall 

I think having the daily cases available is fine … the showing of them daily on the news channels will soon get to a stage when it’s unnecessary… my shout would be sept … when hopefully  everyone has had chance of double jabs 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think having the daily cases available is fine … the showing of them daily on the news channels will soon get to a stage when it’s unnecessary… my shout would be sept … when hopefully  everyone has had chance of double jabs 

I think people ned to know other stuff - like how many people on average get admitted to hospital daily in nn Covid times and how many people are on average in hospital overnight in any day.

I wanted to know so went and found the info.

800 per day admitted and around 100,000 in hospital for all other reasons on average between 2010 and 2019.

Covid cases are now getting reasonable irrelevant, what we need is hospitalisations and numbers in hospital but with the added comparisons to normal life. Do that for  a while, then stop - as normal life is not a list of statistics.

We also, to be normal, need to stop mass testing and revert to testing in medical situations only - otherwise nothing will ever be normal.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I think people ned to know other stuff - like how many people on average get admitted to hospital daily in nn Covid times and how many people are on average in hospital overnight in any day.

I wanted to know so went and found the info.

800 per day admitted and around 100,000 in hospital for all other reasons on average between 2010 and 2019.

Covid cases are now getting reasonable irrelevant, what we need is hospitalisations and numbers in hospital but with the added comparisons to normal life. Do that for  a while, then stop - as normal life is not a list of statistics.

We also, to be normal, need to stop mass testing and revert to testing in medical situations only - otherwise nothing will ever be normal.

I’d agree although I’d still say it should be once people have been double jabbed