When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

12 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

At the vaccine hub where my Aunt volunteers they were planning for/anticipating 3000 youngsters showing up for the "Grab a Jab" day. 

Only 437 turned up. 

I'm sure there are complex reasons as to why but quite disappointing.

At the centre I volunteer at, there is a capacity of 800, we did 935 with unbooked walk-ins, all 18-30 year olds.

Half time between Italy and Austria at Wembley, we will win the game anyway… haha
in the meantime our newspaper „The Standard“ comments the todays UK top story with a link to the euros:
„Matt Hancock, anyway not particularly talented Minister of Health in Boris Johnson's far-right cabinet, did not fall over the thousands of corona deaths in his country, nor over the rumor mill from Dominic Cummings, but over a kiss: Because he is in the middle of the Covid crisis Hancock had to resign today while he was being photographed hugging and kissing an employee. A clear breach of the corona rules, it is said. And at home the married conservatives can expect the next red card. Ouch!“

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

That's great! I hope most who are eligible at this point do take it up in the next few weeks.

I'm 20 and know about 15 people who have been jabbed this week alone, there are probably more on top of that so there will probably be the demand but will vary from day to day especially with the walk in centres 

51 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I really don’t like Cummings but I read his tweets intensely. No idea why. Someone explain to me.

Its like I enjoy the drama?

Same 😂

It's basically the equivalent of this thread, I can't stop myself reading every message. 

FYI anyone with links to vaccine centers, pop-up places, etc – I went to one in London on Friday that was eerily quiet, walked up and got a jab, vaccinator said the take up has been disappointing. Then a few people pushed it online in various places and it got booked up for the entire weekend.

Young people are desperate to get jabbed (and a lot of older demographics keen for their second early one) but most people simply don't follow local NHS/govt websites, and these clinics are often doing different things that it's difficult to keep track of, so just getting word out however you can on social media or via whatsapp groups etc seems really important.

Edited by jannybruck

Almost all centres that I volunteer at are doing walk ins for 18+ First doses. They have booked appointments but will accept walk-ins, they will only refuse when the queues are longer or at the end of the day when they are trying to estimate how many vials to open. Early morning and after 16:00 (weekdays) tend to be busy. It tends to be quieter from 11:00 to 15:00 and most walk ins will be accepted, if you are looking for a first vaccination then try your local mass vaccination centre.

5 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Can't remember at this stage. Was he an arsehole, useless, evil or corrupt? I appreciate non of these are necessarily going to prevent becoming a minister

Home Sec in May’s cabinet. A bit of an idiot maybe but more competent than most of the current lot.

Edited by Ryan1984

8 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Can't remember at this stage. Was he an arsehole, useless, evil or corrupt? I appreciate non of these are necessarily going to prevent becoming a minister

I think partly the problem is that alongside being an MP, last year Javid was hired as a paid senior advisor to the US bank JP Morgan. JP Morgan is a major player in private healthcare. He could resign from JP Morgan but the optics don't look great from a privatisation point of view.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think partly the problem is that alongside being an MP, last year Javid was hired as a paid senior advisor to the US bank JP Morgan. JP Morgan is a major player in private healthcare. He could resign from JP Morgan but the optics don't look great from a privatisation point of view.

I don't think that makes a difference really- the NHS is done thanks to covid. It will be privatised as that backlog is insurmountable otherwise. Its shit but its the reality of the huge majority Tory government we've elected. 

The big question is will we have freedom around that, or will we be expected to lock down to protect the NHS in the meantime 

Edited by efcfanwirral

15 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I don't think that makes a difference really- the NHS is done thanks to covid. It will be privatised as that backlog is insurmountable otherwise. Its shit but its the reality of the huge majority Tory government we've elected. 

The big question is will we have freedom around that, or will we be expected to lock down to protect the NHS in the meantime 

You really do go ott sometimes. The nhs is not gonna suddenly be privatised overnight due to covid backlog fs. Please stop the scaremongering.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

You really do go ott sometimes. The nhs is not gonna suddenly be privatised overnight due to covid backlog fs. Please stop the scaremongering.

I didn't say overnight...

Just now, Chapple12345 said:

Vaccinable is a new word to me (and my phone, autocorrected about 5 times there).

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

Well when then? You say it’s defo happening.. and it must be pretty  soon if it’s due to the covid backlog . It’s scaremongering nonsense .

We'll just have to see won't we. A former banker as health sec, Dido harding going for head of NHS...never let a good crisis go to waste

Though would a hybrid system be so bad? Currently it's clearly not working and we have many more years of tory rule so funding it isn't an option - maybe we'll get lucky and get something that's not as bad the American system. Whatever is happening now isn't working and we don't have lots of options within the framework of the system and ruling party we currently have. A fully free NHS is only good if it actually works

Edited by efcfanwirral

6 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Their domestic vaccine was a dud and now they have locked borders until 2045. 

The UQ vaccine didn't make it out of Phase 1 trials from memory so it was never going to be the backbone of the Oz vaccine program at least initially. Not withstanding the failed rollout logistics, hesitancy due to complacency, dysfunctional federation with federal and state governments bickering etc they bet the house on Oxford/AZ, didn't order enough Pfizer or others and with the blood clot issue changing the recommended age ranges, they have huge supply issues. Absolute debacle

5 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

We'll just have to see won't we. A former banker as health sec, Dido harding going for head of NHS...never let a good crisis go to waste

Though would a hybrid system be so bad? Currently it's clearly not working and we have many more years of tory rule so funding it isn't an option - maybe we'll get lucky and get something that's not as bad the American system. Whatever is happening now isn't working and we don't have lots of options within the framework of the system and ruling party we currently have. A fully free NHS is only good if it actually works

I'm sure there are plenty in government and Tory party who would like, or at least wouldn't mind, privatisation of the NHS, but the public would be very much against it and it would be a massive boon to the opposition. So they'll probably stick with the BBC for now, much more doable. Saying that, the NHS is probably going to need a lot more funding, as is social care that sits alongside it, massive amounts, and the public might start to change their minds when they see less money in their wages and other stuff being cut, so maybe one day it is possible, means tested health care or something.

These footballers that test positive, but none of the other players and coaches do - surely some of these must be false positives?
Im not sure how else just one player would have contracted it in the first place given how the team camps are set up, and for them to then not pass it on to anybody else given the close proximity to the rest of the squad is just very strange.