When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

If things look as they are now, imagine what it'll look like after 4-6 weeks of a free for all. Just as schools go back. At the very least I can see it being mid August when everyone's first jab has actually started working. Maybe similar to the Scotland date. 

I'm not saying you are wrong or anything but I can't see them doing that unless something really bad happens, that's based on hospital admissions still be fairly low. 

Just managed to bring my second dose forward by a good three weeks. Recommend people who had their second dose booked the standard 11-12 weeks later go on the website and look to book it sooner. Thankfully, this now means we’ll be double jabbed + 2 weeks before we hopefully head to Greece. 

Just now, jparx said:

Just managed to bring my second dose forward by a good three weeks. Recommend people who had their second dose booked the standard 11-12 weeks later go on the website and look to book it sooner. Thankfully, this now means we’ll be double jabbed + 2 weeks before we hopefully head to Greece. 

I'm keeping mine at 10 weeks for the opposite reason - plans in the meantime. Don't want to end up one of the unlucky ones with "flu like symptoms" when I'm meant to be doing stuff! 

10 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

They probably need to delay the 19th, I'd just rather they were honest and told us now, get ahead of it, show leadership and dont leave people hanging on for something that probably isn't possible. That's been my biggest gripe this whole time - they could've shown leadership and made it clear 2021 won't be normal at any point, but they've just kept pushing and pushing this idea that it's possible. It's not. We might get there in 2022 but the idea of releasing all restrictions at any point in 2021 is laughable at best and reckless at worst 

Have you not seen Israel/ New York etc? 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

If things look as they are now, imagine what it'll look like after 4-6 weeks of a free for all. Just as schools go back. At the very least I can see it being mid August when everyone's first jab has actually started working. Maybe similar to the Scotland date. 

I don't know, so difficult politically to delay again. I think step 4 will happen, but will just ask people to be careful....and then cross fingers and  keep jabbing like fuckin crazy.

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

That's so true and its so depressing. Both from a government and public point of view - it doesn't reflect well on either. 

SAGE isn’t full of behavioural scientists by coincidence. 

Look at Christmas, plenty of people took it on the chin and said “never mind we’ll just have our Christmas in a couple of months instead”, if people would have known indoor mixing would be illegal until mid May and limited to 6 until late July* I think many more families would have said “fuck it, it’s only one day let’s have a proper Christmas” and I don’t think you could fully blame the public for thinking that, we’re not programmed to be away from our friends and family for that long. 

* so far 

6 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Have you not seen Israel/ New York etc? 

I'm seeing Israel freaking out about a handful of cases. How long before the vaccine passports and limits on gatherings are back over a few asymptomatic cases?  Impressed with new york though 

Edited by efcfanwirral

Just now, steviewevie said:

I don't know, so difficult politically to delay again. I think step 4 will happen, but will just ask people to be careful....and then cross fingers and  keep jabbing like fuckin crazy.

It's really difficult politically now after Hancock, it would be a tough sell to ask people to continue social distancing whilst the Health Sec hasn't been.

3 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

SAGE isn’t full of behavioural scientists by coincidence. 

Look at Christmas, plenty of people took it on the chin and said “never mind we’ll just have our Christmas in a couple of months instead”, if people would have known indoor mixing would be illegal until mid May and limited to 6 until late July* I think many more families would have said “fuck it, it’s only one day let’s have a proper Christmas” and I don’t think you could fully blame the public for thinking that, we’re not programmed to be away from our friends and family for that long. 

* so far 

Honestly I blame their lack of foresight and general intelligence on that one. I personally don't get how anyone believed any of that beyond putting the blinkers on and believing what they wanted to believe. Same as anyone who thought at the end of November that Christmas was a good idea/going to happen. 

Behavioural scientists using the media to manipulate people. It's disgusting that both the politicians can't be honest and that people are so...fragile? Oblivious? Stupid? Naive? ( I don't know the right word to be honest) to need to be manipulated in that way but it's not right 

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

also bojo and his vague terminus bollocks.

Talk of a terminus date for "all" restrictions to be lifted, with test events (with covid certification- are we going to pretend that's not a restriction? Despite its obvious necessity, "All" is not a conditional word) going after that date is the vaguest bollocks you can get. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Honestly I blame their lack of foresight and general intelligence on that one. I personally don't get how anyone believed any of that beyond putting the blinkers on and believing what they wanted to believe. Same as anyone who thought at the end of November that Christmas was a good idea/going to happen. 

Behavioural scientists using the media to manipulate people. It's disgusting that both the politicians can't be honest and that people are so...fragile? Oblivious? Stupid? Naive? ( I don't know the right word to be honest) to need to be manipulated in that way but it's not right 

I'm really not sure they're that scheming, they just simply don't know how bad it's going to be next month or in 6 months, they have people doing these models and forecasts but there is so much uncertaintly, especially as we now have these new vaccines and still don't fully know how effective they are and how many people will take them. I don't think we're being conned, I don't think there''s any great conspiracy...as Cummings pointed out, it's just all a bit chaotic and full of humans struggling with it all and often not really knowing what they're doing.

Balearics latest...

At least 1,000 students in isolation after coronavirus outbreak in Mallorca

An investigation is underway in Mallorca following a coronavirus outbreak involving over 600 students visiting from the Spanish mainland, reports Reuters.

At least 1,000 students have had to go into isolation, the Balearic Islands’ health authorities said. The students had travelled from different parts of the country to celebrate the end of university exams.

Authorities today said they are looking into whether venues including a music concert at a bullring in the capital Palma, boat parties and hotels followed virus-control protocols.

It comes as the Balearic Islands prepare for a surge of British tourists after the UK government put the destination on its “green travel list”, starting on Wednesday.

Spain permitted people to stop wearing face masks outdoors today after a fall in coronavirus cases, but they have to be worn inside or when it is not possible to social distance.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Feels like an irrational fear right now 

Not just irrational, but one that doesn't have an identifiable end date.

If we're still worrying about overwhelming the NHS with a largely vaccinated population, including all of the "at-risk" (aside from ~5% recusants), then we might as well all bugger off and find a new hobby, as there'll never be enough certainty to plan for a festival on the scale of Glastonbury ever again.

Yes, cases are rising and will likely do so further. All the evidence to date continues to suggest that's unlikely to overwhelm the NHS either nationally or locally - and if it does then at this point it's likely more reflective of 11 years of cuts than anything else. The answer is to fix NHS funding not to continue restrictions.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, incident said:

Not just irrational, but one that doesn't have an identifiable end date.

If we're still worrying about overwhelming the NHS with a largely vaccinated population, including all of the "at-risk" (aside from ~5% recusants), then we might as well all bugger off and find a new hobby, as there'll never be enough certainty to plan for a festival on the scale of Glastonbury ever again.

Yes, cases are rising and will likely do so further. All the evidence to date continues to suggest that's unlikely to overwhelm the NHS either nationally or locally - and if it does then at this point it's likely more reflective of 11 years of cuts than anything else. The answer is to fix NHS funding not to continue restrictions.

we're worried about using up hospital resources with unvaccinated people at the moment aren't we? Because hospitals already busy with non covid stuff.

One case in Wellington NZ and the city shuts down for a few days. Once the case contacts have been found tested and isolated they will open up back to normality.  My family down in Auckland say it’s a small price to pay just to live more or less normal since this whole thing started. They were laughing at the sheer stupidity of thousands of Scots partying in London.   Meanwhile their vaccine roll out continues. 

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

One case in Wellington NZ and the city shuts down for a few days. Once the case contacts have been found tested and isolated they will open up back to normality.  My family down in Auckland say it’s a small price to pay just to live more or less normal since this whole thing started. They were laughing at the sheer stupidity of thousands of Scots partying in London.   Meanwhile their vaccine roll out continues. 

How is their vaccine rollout going? Sounds pretty crap in Australia.