When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

The matt Hancock thing feels a bit too convenient for me - it will lead to people breaking the rhle . And I think this is exactly what will happen, blame the public for the next delay 

I wasn't thinking about Hancock when I typed that. I was referring to some other posters who said they were now breaking the rules. Hancock's behaviour doesn't help things though.

5 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

we still use numbers of cases as a one of  the reasons for decisions ... whilst I understand that people are breaking restrictions those same people are making cases for all restrictions ending ... so surely meeting in smaller groups is much more beneficial to keep infections lower .... and therefore get things open again ..... Im with you on keeping to  restrictions ... i just don't have need to have groups more than 6 .... im meeting mates for a birthday meal tonight and decided to book 1 table for 6 rather than a couple of tables ... I can actually chat to everyone then ... oh and we are all double jabbed so that helps too 🙂 

Absolutely. Being single/double jabbed definitely adds so much positivity to the whole situation. Being double jabbed has definitely given me much more confidence in returning to a 'normal' world. I just hope people do not get too carried away with things. Having said that, I do understand the feeling of cabin fever and people wanting to stretch out their social lives again.

1 hour ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I've often wondered close the boarder to stop the importation of mutations what's to stop the same mutation happening domestically? I'm assuming nothing other than 'odds' perhaps @Toilet Duck could enlighten me? (Again)

Yeah, no reason why variants can’t arise domestically, and either virus spreading uncontrollably (more chance) or chronic infections (prolonged selection) create the ideal opportunity for this to occur. What we are seeing worldwide are the occurrence of similar changes in different places (convergent evolution), suggesting that there are limited places the virus can mutate and still function. If I had to guess, the endgame variant would be something that evaded neutralising antibodies a bit (maybe E484K) and has the P681R mutation that gets in into our cells more efficiently, plus something that got it back out of our cells a bit quicker (haven’t seen a change like that yet). But can certainly arise via domestic infections, doesn’t need to be imported.

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The more cases rise with hospitalisations only edging up and deaths staying flat...

Surely this is only more proof for the case for opening up on July 19th not less...

We seem to be missing the point at the moment...

The problem seems to be the fear that is "could" keep going and "could" get bad enough to overwhem hospitals - I think its impossible that mindset will be changed by July 19th. 

I reckon another week of rising or so and it will start to fall more, it has to surely stop at some point for infections when so many people have been vaccinated, with further vaccinations too (I know of at least 15 people this week my age who have had one now) mixed in with schools closing for the summer soon

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

The problem seems to be the fear that is "could" keep going and "could" get bad enough to overwhem hospitals - I think its impossible that mindset will be changed by July 19th. 

Indeed, if cases continue to rise like they are then hospital admissions will start to rise as well. However I don’t think the government will push back July 19th easing any further though. 

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

They’ve been saying this for a month now and yet we are still heavily restricted, at groups of 5 and only 2 for Dine in, albeit with about 50% first jabbed and 35-40% second. 

I don’t  doubt they want to but they are incredibly conservative and risk adverse in their decision making. It will be months before they actually follow though. 

1 minute ago, Gregfc15 said:

They’ve been saying this for a month now and yet we are still heavily restricted, at groups of 5 and only 2 for Dine in, albeit with about 50% first jabbed and 35-40% second. 

I don’t  doubt they want to but they are incredibly conservative and risk adverse in their decision making. It will be months before they actually follow though. 

I don't think anyone in the world knows how many restrictions we'll need to keep long term. Hopefully none and will all go back to normal and we'll treat it like flu etc etc., but I think that's quite an optimistic take. Just have to see how it goes over the winter and into next year.

2 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

To be fair I think it'll be this time next year til the UK finally does that. A few months in Singapore would be a win in comparison- no winter season to speak of to fuck it all up 

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I don't think anyone in the world knows how many restrictions we'll need to keep long term. Hopefully none and will all go back to normal and we'll treat it like flu etc etc., but I think that's quite an optimistic take. Just have to see how it goes over the winter and into next year.

I agree. I just don’t see Singapore being the one that is going to lead the charge into the future based on their incredibly risk adverse decision making so far. I don’t see any of the things they are talking about in that article happening till next year here. 

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

They probably need to delay the 19th, I'd just rather they were honest and told us now, get ahead of it, show leadership and dont leave people hanging on for something that probably isn't possible. That's been my biggest gripe this whole time - they could've shown leadership and made it clear 2021 won't be normal at any point, but they've just kept pushing and pushing this idea that it's possible. It's not. We might get there in 2022 but the idea of releasing all restrictions at any point in 2021 is laughable at best and reckless at worst 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

They probably need to delay the 19th, I'd just rather they were honest and told us now, get ahead of it, show leadership and dont leave people hanging on for something that probably isn't possible. That's been my biggest gripe this whole time - they could've shown leadership and made it clear 2021 won't be normal at any point, but they've just kept pushing and pushing this idea that it's possible. It's not. We might get there in 2022 but the idea of releasing all restrictions at any point in 2021 is laughable at best and reckless at worst 

Because if you tell people that it’s not going to end until next year then compliance goes out of the window. That’s why they constantly dangle the carrot of a few weeks or a few months at a time. 

Just now, BobWillis2 said:

Because if you tell people that it’s not going to end until next year then compliance goes out of the window. That’s why they constantly dangle the carrot of a few weeks or a few months at a time. 

That's so true and its so depressing. Both from a government and public point of view - it doesn't reflect well on either. 

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Why do you think they need to delay step 4?

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

yeah...seems to still be a rise in hospitalisations, but fewer people needing ICU and ventilators etc...but big problem is hospitals already quite busy with non covid stuff because of the backlog.

Just now, Ozanne said:

Why do you think they need to delay step 4

If things look as they are now, imagine what it'll look like after 4-6 weeks of a free for all. Just as schools go back. At the very least I can see it being mid August when everyone's first jab has actually started working. Maybe similar to the Scotland date.