When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’m the opposite … not a single positive case amongst friends or work colleagues and quite a lot are doing lateral flow tests and we have around 400 people at work … mind you out case rates are around 45 when in feb they were at 300 per 100000 and then people were getting it all over the place 

It's a geographical thing, I think. Like you, I don't know of a single person asked to self-isolate or actually contracted COVID since March. We've had a very small number of hospital admissions in the past few months, zero for many weeks. The south west of the country has managed to come through relatively unscathed...but the summer holiday is approaching and I'm expecting a particularly busy season due to international travel restrictions. I'm glad I managed to bring forward my second jab again to next week. Will feel much more confident fully vaccinated

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’m the opposite … not a single positive case amongst friends or work colleagues and quite a lot are doing lateral flow tests and we have around 400 people at work … mind you out case rates are around 45 when in feb they were at 300 per 100000 and then people were getting it all over the place 

Same here, in January I had several friends who caught it but since about April I've only actually heard of 1 person from my aunts work that has had it and a single case at our neighboring school. All the staff at my work are testing too and we haven't even had a false positive yet but admittedly we're on a very low case rate this way and also a large amount of our population is vaxxed too 

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It's a geographical thing, I think. Like you, I don't know of a single person asked to self-isolate or actually contracted COVID since March. We've had a very small number of hospital admissions in the past few months, zero for many weeks. The south west of the country has managed to come through relatively unscathed...but the summer holiday is approaching and I'm expecting a particularly busy season due to international travel restrictions. I'm glad I managed to bring forward my second jab again to next week. Will feel much more confident fully vaccinated

Great stuff … it definately made a big difference for me especially at work … I’m actually talking to colleagues a bit now whilst before I’d be very hesitant …  let’s hope the number of jabs also helps down here too as we have a more elderly population and one of the highest vaccination rates 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Great stuff … it definately made a big difference for me especially at work … I’m actually talking to colleagues a bit now whilst before I’d be very hesitant …  let’s hope the number of jabs also helps down here too as we have a more elderly population and one of the highest vaccination rates 

The high uptake in jabs in the SW must definitely be attributing to the lower number of cases, admissions and deaths. Vax! Vax! Vax!

I have 2 mates, 1 fit as a fiddle mid 30s and the other not fit and mid 50s, both badly ill and bed bound for 2 and 3 days respectively. Both double jabbed with AZ.

We've had bars and restaurants being closed with staff cases, although most are now re-opening, which didn't happen last year at any time. We're only a small village but it seems rife at the moment! North West just outside of Preston.

5 minutes ago, The Dawg said:

I have 2 mates, 1 fit as a fiddle mid 30s and the other not fit and mid 50s, both badly ill and bed bound for 2 and 3 days respectively. Both double jabbed with AZ.

We've had bars and restaurants being closed with staff cases, although most are now re-opening, which didn't happen last year at any time. We're only a small village but it seems rife at the moment! North West just outside of Preston.

That sounds grim. Hope they're both on the road to recovery. Out of interest do you know how long since their second jab when they got it?

6 minutes ago, The Dawg said:

I guess that shows the jabs doing the job they should … keeping people from hospital as grim as it is that they are ill … 

27 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Just looked for the first time in a few days, and numbers have climbed a fair bit around me. Still no where near the really high numbers in Bolton etc but have gone up quite a bit. And must of the people I know who are affected work in hospitality so coming into contact with lots of people

26 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I thought there had been a rise in cases in Cornwall...and downing st were arguing nothing to do with G7, but more to do with half term hols etc.

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

That sounds grim. Hope they're both on the road to recovery. Out of interest do you know how long since their second jab when they got it?

My mate in his 50s had his second jab over 4 weeks ago not sure with the other guy probably similar as he teaches. Just seems that a lot of people are either suffering with the virus or isolating due to be in contact with others. Worrying.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I thought there had been a rise in cases in Cornwall...and downing st were arguing nothing to do with G7, but more to do with half term hols etc.

It’s all relative I guess … we are creeping up but don’t have the huge numbers yet … I think Bristol is the highest in the sw with around 150 per 100,000 …. Of course the G7 made a difference … it’s all about numbers and density of populations and the staff would have been packed in to accommodation there 

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think Cornwall peaked at 160-odd cases last week. Back down to double figures now. 1 death since April 24th, single figures for hospital admissions since May 1st

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Ten thousands going on holiday is going to have a bigger impact obviously.   Was bit of newspaper fun trying to blame the g7

Disagree … the politicians would have been jabbed … but not everyone in the circus that surrounded them … it’s pushed up numbers without question 

17 minutes ago, The Dawg said:

My mate in his 50s had his second jab over 4 weeks ago not sure with the other guy probably similar as he teaches. Just seems that a lot of people are either suffering with the virus or isolating due to be in contact with others. Worrying.

Thanks. Pretty rubbish for them.

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Bit of g7 and a lot of holiday makers - myself included 

Nothing in my post to say it wasn’t holiday makers … and usual mixing … but of course the G7 had an impact massively inflating the numbers in a small town … interesting that the numbers have dropped back since the circus left 

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Nothing in my post to say it wasn’t holiday makers … and usual mixing … but of course the G7 had an impact massively inflating the numbers in a small town … interesting that the numbers have dropped back since the circus left 

Yeah, I agree, probably more G7 than holiday makers....but govt will keep telling us it was joe public's fault, nothing to do with them...

Just now, zahidf said:

Also.... weren't we told to holiday in the UK? What were people expecting to happen in UK holiday spots?

Of course … fewer restrictions now mean it’s going to be spreading …. Don’t think anyone is saying different 

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

And the holiday makers....

You saying a few hundred maybe thousands of g7 lot "massively inflated the numbers" in the face of tens maybe hundred of thousands of holiday makers for a 2 week period.

Your losing the plot mate.  That small town is the epicenter of Cornwall tourism.

There were a few articles last week suggesting it was to do with the G7 summit rather than tourists... the map below looks a bit suspicious if not.

https://inews.co.uk/news/g7-summit-was-super-spreading-event-for-cornwall-as-cases-rocket-2450-after-johnson-and-biden-visit-1060710

Screenshot_20210623-085640_Firefox.jpg

16 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You realise that those two areas are also holiday areas ?  In the faint orange areas are holiday focal points.

Cases where rising before the g7 in those areas - fact 

I don't blame holiday makers but it's what cased it.  It was expected.  You see similar patterns all over the country.

Lazy journalism to be honest. As with so much of it the past 18 months. 

23 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

I’m glad that the latest rumblings out of government suggest that WFH will end on the 19th. This is great news, let’s get everybody back in the offices and save the city centres before it’s too late. 

I'll believe it when it happens. Im sure the pro lockdown scientists and ministers are furiously combing through the data looking for any excuse to delay things longer. 

Bold statement but I recon the G7 thing, and the holiday makers, is coloration not causation. There were no spikes in Cornwall or West Wales last summer despite the locals (and most other people) fully expecting there to be and both those areas being rammed to the ceiling with tourists. Holiday makers (and I expect G7 circus folks) don't tend to mix that much with the community at large so don't spread the virus into the community, especially at the moment where the places they would come in contact with locals (pubs, restaurants or outdoors on a beach) are all pretty COVID secure. 

What does spread the virus is people from inside communities heading out somewhere, being irresponsible then coming back home and continuing to be irresponsible. I wonder if these spikes have anything to do with locals having Euros parties? It's just much easier to blame outsiders though.