When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

24 minutes ago, xxialac said:

So...the UK now has more cases than all of the EU Countries *combined*.

And the EU vax pace is faster than the UK.

Everything in the EU is reopening at pace, e.g. nightclubs are open in Spain now and international travel is easy.

Shame on those dickheads on here with the endless 'we're smashing the EU, you love to see it' patter a couple of months back.

Thought you insisted it was not a competition. 

Besides it looks like mid July might be a go-er here and I would be shocked if any eu countries were more relaxed than us after that 

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I took it from today's figures on Worldometer.

Most EU countries are in the hundreds of cases. Only France and Spain vaguely comparable and even then not really.

image.png.a6ed4f73894c4526a268bbab752e0464.png

Yep and a month ago it was different and a month from now it’ll be different again. It all changes so fast. Their numbers won’t keep going down forever. 

Just now, xxialac said:

Most EU countries are in the hundreds of cases. Only France and Spain vaguely comparable and even then not really.

I wouldn't tempt fate, delta variant could very easily become a bigger problem across Europe. I do understand where you're coming from though with all the anti EU shite on this thread a few months ago.

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Better to use the 7 day rolling average, as that somewhat smooths out the daily quirks in reporting.

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Thought you insisted it was not a competition. 

Besides it looks like mid July might be a go-er here and I would be shocked if any eu countries were more relaxed than us after that 

You've fatally misunderstood.

All I was rallying against was the wave of gloating, jingoistic, Enger-land vs loser EU countries bullshit on here.

It was pathetic.

7 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

If we get to 30,000 and deaths still haven’t significantly risen then they can have no excuses. 

If they delayed based on the idea that they "could" at 6,000, they're not going to open up at 30,000 for the same reason

Those sorts of headlines were coming out about 3 weeks ago and look where we are now...

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Hospital numbers are key.  Pretty confident deaths will still be low.

I agree on covid hospital numbers but from that MEN reporter's tweet it sounds like they're filling up with other things so even small uptick would cause them problems. 

I think they've missed their boat to be honest - should've done it this week and ridden it out

11 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

If they delayed based on the idea that they "could" at 6,000, they're not going to open up at 30,000 for the same reason

Those sorts of headlines were coming out about 3 weeks ago and look where we are now...

I don't think cases will end up round the 30k mark they'll probably be lower and even if they did I don't think that alone would cause the government to delay step 4.

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I agree on covid hospital numbers but from that MEN reporter's tweet it sounds like they're filling up with other things so even small uptick would cause them problems. 

I think they've missed their boat to be honest - should've done it this week and ridden it out

It's quite noticeable that the rhetoric has moved well away from cases to hospitalisations. And deaths are basically flat

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Although to be fair, it would be surprising if the current rate of growth is maintained for the next four weeks.

Yeah, their should be more of a vaccine effect in the next few weeks as the younger cohorts get jabbed.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Although to be fair, it would be surprising if the current rate of growth is maintained for the next four weeks.

That's my thinking, it's all well and good forecasting on current growth but that can change very quickly, especially with our rollout, his own paper is even reporting at current rate of vaccination we should be good to unlock on the 19th

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

I think the 5th offers a political opportunity.  

I did think this - if they're committed to the 19th they may as well just do it on the 5th and make many happy, instead of constant pressure not to ahead of the 19th where any change and they look reckless after the inevitable week of apocalyptic briefing and models 

Edited by efcfanwirral

6 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I did think this - if they're committed to the 19th they may as well just do it on the 5th and make many happy, instead of constant pressure not to ahead of the 19th where any change and they look reckless after the inevitable week of apocalyptic briefing and models 

Isn't polling saying that overall the public support the more cautious approach? At same time Johnson getting pressure from some of his backbenches, so maybe he'll give more assurances and throw them some meat in the way of relaxing a few more restrictions. Have to see way numbers keep going over next couple of weeks.

https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/london-playbook/politico-london-playbook-scoop-step-4-impact-assessment-england-unmasked-happy-brexit-day/

Leaked Events report basically says ANY restrictions would kill the events industry 

I can see why the report was suppressed. No way would the Tory backbenchers have gone along with the extension with those numbers.

20210623_072757.jpg

Edited by zahidf

16 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I feel like I am hearing of more people I know either getting Covid or having to isolate as a close contact, than I did at the height of the pandemic. 

I think I've heard of more people I know personally either testing positive or having to isolate in the last two weeks than I have in total in the previous 14/15 months. 

Suppose it's down to all the extra testing. I know quite a few in the early days who suspected but never had it confirmed (including me) and of course all the asymptomatic who wouldn't have shown up at all

3 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I think I've heard of more people I know personally either testing positive or having to isolate in the last two weeks than I have in total in the previous 14/15 months. 

Suppose it's down to all the extra testing. I know quite a few in the early days who suspected but never had it confirmed (including me) and of course all the asymptomatic who wouldn't have shown up at all

I’m the opposite … not a single positive case amongst friends or work colleagues and quite a lot are doing lateral flow tests and we have around 400 people at work … mind you out case rates are around 45 when in feb they were at 300 per 100000 and then people were getting it all over the place