When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

COVID anxiety is not just a thing, it's perfectly normal and natural.

If your friend dies in a car accident, next time you're on the motorway, you're going to feel a bit more anxious.

If a parent dies of lung cancer, you might finally give up smoking.

Whenever someone near to us dies it's totally natural and normal to be hyper-conscious about that cause of death. It may not be rational, it may well be a "total failure to comprehend risk" but it's not at all weird or abnormal. 

In a country where 128,000 people have died from COVID in the last year or so, lots of people are going to be hyper-conscious of COVID right now. If they weren't I'd think something was wrong.

I'd imagine you'll find a correlation between those who have dealt with deaths of those close to them of COVID and any anxiety. And between those who haven't lost anyone who just can't get their head around it.

What does astound me though is that some of the people who have spent six months on here going on and on about the terrible impact of lockdown on mental health are now telling people suffering from anxiety about the world re-opening to "get a fucking grip". 

Tbf it's not having a go at someone being personally nervous or anxious about reopening, that's reasonable.  It's more about govt policy kowtowing to that element so reopening is delayed.

Dunno why they are bothering, he's clearly gonna bottle it.

44 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Covid is absolutely rampant in Scotland now. 2,100 cases today - the equivalent amount in England alone would be 21000!! 

I now know so many people who are testing  positive or are self isolating. 

Allowing Delta to freely circulate in the UK is one of the biggest mistakes to date.

That`s hell of a lot - Austria has 58 cases today - I guess that in the 2 main cities Glasgow and Edinburgh the delta must be circulating wild.

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Tbf it's not having a go at someone being personally nervous or anxious about reopening, that's reasonable.  It's more about govt policy kowtowing to that element so reopening is delayed.

Dunno why they are bothering, he's clearly gonna bottle it.

Maybe they will allow a few more things, outdoor restrictions maybe...?

10 minutes ago, Hannibal Schmitt said:

That`s hell of a lot - Austria has 58 cases today - I guess that in the 2 main cities Glasgow and Edinburgh the delta must be circulating wild.

Glasgow is starting to level out but Edinburgh is still climbing - numbers are higher than they have ever been.   Mainly in the younger age groups now.

Oh and there is a lot more testing going on - handing out lateral flow tests to anyone now.

Edited by Lizzim

22 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I feel like I am hearing of more people I know either getting Covid or having to isolate as a close contact, than I did at the height of the pandemic. 

Yeah ive been hearing of the same, seems like this variant is spreading incrediblly quickly. 

6 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

As it happens, I randomly bumped into a mate from Edinburgh yesterday (he's from Dublin, but he lives in Edinburgh). Came over last week with his family and was expecting to be grilled as to why they were going to Ireland as they got on the ferry, but all they did was make sure their names matched the booking and waved them on, not a bother, they couldn't care less where they were going or why...so, I'm not sure anyone is actually checking anything!

It’s completely unenforceable, I think it’s just a bit of posturing to put off those who follow the rules very precisely.

Funny thing is from my POV I’ve now noticed that the law specifically refers to the City Council areas of Manchester and Salford. Despite having a Manchester postcode my family are in Tameside, the neighbouring Council Area, as is our AirBNB. In fact it’s outside Manchester by about 500 yards 😀 👍

Younger age people are going out a lot more now and I'm almost certain social distancing isn't a thing really with them

But that's what a year of 'doesn't effect the young' and 'once the vulnerable are jabbed we are fine' will do. Can't put that genie back in the bottle

• Upvote 1

Although I obviously get the benefits and why it’s being used to extensively at present, but I do wonder when the obsession with testing on such a large scale will end? Are we expecting this to be heavily reduced on 19th July?

Scotland: new target for Level Zero nationwide is now 19 July. Sturgeon wants to get rid of most remaining restrictions by 9 August, according to BBC. Masks to stay in some places thereafter, and WFH to continue. I'm assuming that test, trace and isolate will still be in force for a long time as well, but that isn't mentioned.

Nicola also says that the aim by 9th August is for ALL social distancing to have gone

Edited by zahidf

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

Although I obviously get the benefits and why it’s being used to extensively at present, but I do wonder when the obsession with testing on such a large scale will end? Are we expecting this to be heavily reduced on 19th July?

I doubt it - mass testing isn't just about the scale of COVID, it's also what's gathering data on variants through genotyping & sequencing the test samples.

Wouldn't have thought testing will scale back until the case rates are sustained at a much lower level & the risk of new variant spread is significantly reduced.

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Considering those Scottish and Welsh numbers, that's not too bad. Consistent with the 34% or so week on week growth.

Scotland's numbers likely to be high for the next week I'd imagine.

Can't think why though...?