When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s a level of anxiety that is personal to people and people shouldn’t be made to feel less because they are worried about the virus still. 

yep thats my take ... im still mildly anxious despite double jab .... and I really dont need to get a grip .... I just need a bit of time to slowly get back to normal edit its not a switch im able to suddenly switch 

Edited by crazyfool1

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

yep thats my take ... im still mildly anxious despite double jab .... and I really dont need to get a grip .... I just need a bit of time to slowly get back to normal 

Are you asking for restrictions to be maintained though? I thought you wanted them lifted in July. 

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s a level of anxiety that is personal to people and people shouldn’t be made to feel any less because they are worried about the virus still. Some will take longer than others to reacclimatise, it’s perfectly normal. 

Indeed. They need encouraging though...  not having the problem exacerbated. 

Edited by Havors

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

yep thats my take ... im still mildly anxious despite double jab .... and I really dont need to get a grip .... I just need a bit of time to slowly get back to normal 

Sorry, I added to my post after. I agree it’ll take some people longer and that’s ok; there’s nothing wrong with that at all.  

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

My gripe is specifically with anyone who wants restrictions maintained because they’re scared of the virus.

Oh yeah, it's fine to be personally cautious. Don't see why they should have their feeling put over mine with restrictions though.

Edited by zahidf

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

My gripe is specifically with anyone who wants restrictions maintained because they’re scared of the virus.

ok fair .... at the moment I look at crowds and hugs with a certain nervousness ... i fall into the vulnerable cohort so maybe thats part of where my worries lie and being shut away for months early on probably hasnt helped ...  whilst wanting everything to reopen of course ... there is much more than a virus we have to deal with going forward ... 

https://www.ft.com/content/3cac455e-e9be-498f-8d51-2d250513d7de

COVID anxiety syndrome is a real condition that has been looked into by experts. This is the following from the above article:

The researchers have identified what they call “Covid-19 anxiety syndrome” — a fear of the virus that they believe may stop people from returning to crowds when restrictions lift. Spada says the syndrome is “a constellation of forms of coping that could keep people stuck in the fear/anxiety response”, such as avoiding public places and constantly checking news updates, and “may precipitate the development of other mental-health difficulties in the long run, such as clinical health anxiety and agoraphobia”. One in five people they surveyed scored highly on a scale identifying the syndrome.

Edited by Ozanne

Have none of you posted She Who Must Not Be Named’s latest Twitter thread? I’m surprised…

Can definitely see Covid anxiety taking hold. A weird, selfish person I know who spent every weekend last year travelling around the country with people outside their bubble was going on about how uncomfortable a day trip to London made them feel recently.

COVID anxiety is not just a thing, it's perfectly normal and natural.

If your friend dies in a car accident, next time you're on the motorway, you're going to feel a bit more anxious.

If a parent dies of lung cancer, you might finally give up smoking.

Whenever someone near to us dies it's totally natural and normal to be hyper-conscious about that cause of death. It may not be rational, it may well be a "total failure to comprehend risk" but it's not at all weird or abnormal. 

In a country where 128,000 people have died from COVID in the last year or so, lots of people are going to be hyper-conscious of COVID right now. If they weren't I'd think something was wrong.

I'd imagine you'll find a correlation between those who have dealt with deaths of those close to them of COVID and any anxiety. And between those who haven't lost anyone who just can't get their head around it.

What does astound me though is that some of the people who have spent six months on here going on and on about the terrible impact of lockdown on mental health are now telling people suffering from anxiety about the world re-opening to "get a fucking grip". 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6