When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, MrBarry465 said:

So already discussions over a 'booster vaccine' this autumn (I thought vaccines would cover us till at least next year) - is it reasonable to assume that if we are going to continue needing boosters, then the huge vaccination hubs will remain open for years to come?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57548796

Will that just end up being for the flu jab cohorts ? If so it will be done as a combined thing at gps surgery’s like it is currently 

3 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Man of the Match during the England vs Scotland game, Billy Gilmour, has covid! 

Test and Trace are going to have fun with this one...

England team will be safe don’t worry, they couldn’t get near him all game 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I was thinking that. Not sure what iam to be honest?

You can be an extroverted introvert too if that helps (my dad told me that and he's a psychologist, so he prob knows what he's on about). And my father-in-law also told me he's a 'high functioning introvert' - so I'm glad to have cleared that one up.

9 minutes ago, Homer said:

You can be an extroverted introvert too if that helps (my dad told me that and he's a psychologist, so he prob knows what he's on about). And my father-in-law also told me he's a 'high functioning introvert' - so I'm glad to have cleared that one up.

I'm a centrist.

9 minutes ago, Homer said:

You can also be an ambivert!

1 minute ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

As if the pro-Grealish mob needed any more ammo.

Apparently Andy Robertson had a video on Instagram of him, Gilmour and McGinn playing table tennis yesterday evening which has now been deleted.

The SFA have said there were no close contacts... 🤥 

Just now, JoeyT said:

Apparently Andy Robertson had a video on Instagram of him, Gilmour and McGinn playing table tennis yesterday evening which has now been deleted.

aren't they supposed to be in 6 player bubbles or something? I wonder how he caught it...

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

It's quite literally impossible for there to be no close contacts. As a scotsman I hope we have no others missing, but I cant see any scenario in which that will be the case.

On 6/20/2021 at 11:03 AM, Avalon_Fields said:

We have to learn - or re-learn - to live with risk. The majority of the world has to live with considerable risk but the Western World with greatly increased life expectancy and medical science has become too isolated from the natural world and up until March 2020 fairly oblivious to real risk. 

It's tricky though when it comes to the NHS and risks to that. The problem is that when you map out risks to life across the country, one of the main things we have that mitigate that risk, is a functioning NHS. You have a road accident, there's a hospital to go to. You get ill, there's a hospital to treat you. The entire risk strategy of the whole country is based on the existence of the NHS and it's ability to treat people. 

If the NHS itself is overwhelmed, suddenly everything becomes more risky - and that can have a knock on effect everywhere. Because the NHS is our risk response to so many other things. If that's at risk it's like a second level inception risk sort of thing. 

18 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Why are the CDC unphased about the delta variant?

Because the CDC are utterly shite and have no clue on how to run a pandemic response programme. I'd recommend this book if you want to know more: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premonition-Pandemic-Story-Michael-Lewis/dp/0241512476/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=the+premonition&qid=1624271412&sr=8-1

But basically the entire US pandemic response was left in the hands of public health officials at state or lower level and the CDC initially refused to help, and even hindered the response in places. They're given a weird amount of reverence, possibly because of how they're treated in popular media/TV/film, when the reality is they're basically a big university and have no clue on how to actually take action during a pandemic. They're closer to the Centres for Disease Study than Control.

Just discussing elsewhere … surely teams should be sticking to bubbles of teammates … the protocols have gone to shit if they start inter team mingling … why have the players not been instructed not to do this ..? It throws your whole tournament into jeapardy 

12 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that the people championing infinite lockdowns are the people who actually enjoy them. 

Or y'know, they're genuinely worried about the spread of disease and mass death? Not that anyone is actually championing "infinite lockdowns".

I know you're convinced that we're out of this now, and that it's absolutely fine, and we can open up anyway - I'm not a million miles behind you, I'm on board with this delay but think we'll hit the new date no problem. But are you really so convinced that your position is so obviously correct and unarguable that anyone arguing anything different has to have an ulterior motive? I know normally it's "fake SAGE scientists are worried about losing their media roles" but today it's "introverts worried about losing their favoured way of life."

I get your arguments, I broadly agree with a lot of them, but I'm not so convinced by them that anyone thinking differently must therefore have some weird other motive. They just think there's still a potential problem with exponential growth and possibly overwhelming the NHS. There doesn't have to more to it than that.

(I think there is an interesting thing happening in that actually, the way pubs are allowed to open now probably makes them a bit more introvert-friendly: smaller groups, guaranteed table, not as loud, table service - and I do think we may see some venues try and capitalise on that by keeping some of those things to try and make themselves more attractive to those clients, and we'll see a mix of pub set-ups in the future even post all restrictions, but that'll be driven by the market)

Had to go to AandE on Saturday afternoon (football injury - as per). Anyway, the very lovely ambulance staff and nurse all told me last week was the busiest week they have ever had. Said it was partly due to covid and partly due to loads of people delaying things because of covid. (This was Lewisham hospital in south London.)

So maybe the extra lockdown is needed? I don't have an opinion either way (other than the obligatory mention that I have lost my ticket to the final of the euros).

Edited by Homer

21 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Or y'know, they're genuinely worried about the spread of disease and mass death? Not that anyone is actually championing "infinite lockdowns".

I know you're convinced that we're out of this now, and that it's absolutely fine, and we can open up anyway - I'm not a million miles behind you, I'm on board with this delay but think we'll hit the new date no problem. But are you really so convinced that your position is so obviously correct and unarguable that anyone arguing anything different has to have an ulterior motive? I know normally it's "fake SAGE scientists are worried about losing their media roles" but today it's "introverts worried about losing their favoured way of life."

I get your arguments, I broadly agree with a lot of them, but I'm not so convinced by them that anyone thinking differently must therefore have some weird other motive. They just think there's still a potential problem with exponential growth and possibly overwhelming the NHS. There doesn't have to more to it than that.

(I think there is an interesting thing happening in that actually, the way pubs are allowed to open now probably makes them a bit more introvert-friendly: smaller groups, guaranteed table, not as loud, table service - and I do think we may see some venues try and capitalise on that by keeping some of those things to try and make themselves more attractive to those clients, and we'll see a mix of pub set-ups in the future even post all restrictions, but that'll be driven by the market)

My Main concern is that normalising lockdown measure to 'prevent the NHS being over-crowded' is a bad thing overall and will be exploited to making people resent the NHS overall and make privatisation more likely 

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

My Main concern is that normalising lockdown measure to 'prevent the NHS being over-crowded' is a bad thing overall and will be exploited to making people resent the NHS overall and make privatisation more likely 

or demand that more funds are provided so NHS able to cope?