When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

46 minutes ago, Havors said:

It may have already been discussed but what are peoples thoughts on the "leaked" stuff about masks, restrictions and other stuff being with us after 19th July? I need to re-read it but it sounds like it will be guidance and not law? So people will just bin it off if they want? 

I'd have thought just guidance probably. Help make it normal like in China (masks when sick) or stop being going in to work when sick.

Although 'leaks' surely this far out is probably just testing the waters, see people's reactions. But then I thought (actually, hoped more than thought) that might be the case with the 4 week extension

4 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

Are they? Haven't seen anything about that

There has been huge issues with housing and relocating homeless people in hotels during the pandemic which has created friction in certain bits of Manhattan, and it's since sprawled back out onto the streets and created a bunch of problems with drugs and robberies and begging in certain sections of the city. This is combined with the general easing of restrictions and better weather which always sets people off.

It's not something that would stop me from visiting as it's a major city and has always had problems (and I live in London so.. I'm used to it), but it's worth knowing in advance which areas might be worth skipping around this time around.

13 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

No, the "women of child-bearing age shouldn't drink" nonsense is from some other quack scientists organisation. The "WHO" apparently. Nerds. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/who-slammed-saying-women-childbearing-24335716

I do think alcohol is on its way down in society and while those proposals are definitely sexist in their wording the sentiment is probably right. We can see a shift with this advice, the Scotland laws around it and covid, more younger people shunning it.

Society would be better without it (once you'd helped those addicted recover) and I say that as someone who drinks FAR too much

I think the turning point will be the environmental impact of the industry as a whole (all aspects from the creation to the delivery)- that'll be one of the big lifestyle changes for climate change 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Did you hear about the raffle at the Charlton game?

First prize was a free ticket.

The booby prize was two free tickets. 

Hahaha. I feel for the 1,000 getting the free tickets, or anyone that goes of their own free will. When I went to Charlton away last season I could only see the top half of the goal below us, we lost 1-0 and our bus took 90 minutes to get out of South London. Absolute prime EFL

3 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Hahaha. I feel for the 1,000 getting the free tickets, or anyone that goes of their own free will. When I went to Charlton away last season I could only see the top half of the goal below us, we lost 1-0 and our bus took 90 minutes to get out of South London. Absolute prime EFL

Sounds like a trip to Goodison...as a home fan 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I'd have thought just guidance probably. Help make it normal like in China (masks when sick) or stop being going in to work when sick.

Although 'leaks' surely this far out is probably just testing the waters, see people's reactions. But then I thought (actually, hoped more than thought) that might be the case with the 4 week extension

I would love for this to happen, its so normalised in Asian countries. We have someone in my office whose wife is Japanese and he always used to do it, fourteenthly no one gave him flack for it. I just know its not gonna happen and not only will it not happen, you'll get critiqued and looked at strangely for doing so.

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I'd take the herring.

27 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’d take the tickets …otherwise there might be accusations of something fishy going on … 😀

For a beautiful minute there I had a laugh and forgot about the actual thread. Right, back to it! 😀

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Feel sorry for you both.

I have a tripped booked for NYC and Paris for the same dates in October.  Will do which everyone is possible.  

To be honest I love NYC but right now they are having some serious issues with crime out there.  Probably for the best overall.  If I was given the option I would choose Disneyland Paris over NYC in October until things calm down.  NYC has always been a melting pot.

I have a friend who lives there who says things are almost back to normal...she didn't mention the crime rate though!

1 hour ago, jparx said:

I just did the BA voucher thing as well. Incredibly impressed with how quick and easy that was. The voucher email came through less than an hour after submitting the form! 

RATM at MSG will be amazing. I was so desperate to see a gig at MSG when i last went to NY bit the only show was Andrea Bocelli (amazing) and tickets were £300 (less amazing) 😂 Did the tour though - incredible venue.

I only applied this morning hopefully it comes through soon so I can rebook!

I've been to basketball at MSG but that was back in 2000 - think I will do the tour too when I finally go. 🙂 

ah nice:

Masks, curfew and all restrictions for events will fall on 1st July here.

Government: "All what makes fun, no matter if evening or night can happen from then on" this goes for clubs, indoor gigs, discos, night hospitality etc. no masks required, only requirement: tests, vaccination or recovered.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hannibal Schmitt said:

ah nice:

Government: "All what makes fun, no matter if evening or night can happen from then on" this goes for clubs, indoor gigs, discos, night hospitality etc. no masks required, only requirement: tests, vaccination or recovered.

Just saw that! well before us in the UK....

Isn't the reason for this because presumably we wouldn't give a first dose without the second one existing and being in the country? Because otherwise wouldn't we have the issue of if supply just stopped for whatever reason we wouldn't have any second doses? 

I just always assumed that's that's we were doing, and that this was sensible 

I know I got involved in a lot of 'home v office' arguing a few months ago on here....we just had our work office meeting and have been told all of us are to go back in the office full time from start of September unless agreed with a line manager that you need to work from home on specific days of the week. 

No just deciding it at the last minute or anything.

I'm currently going in three days a week anyway so won't make any major difference to me. 

8 minutes ago, Hannibal Schmitt said:

ah nice:

wow, nice.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Hard to find articles which aren't either pay walled or geo-restricted but if you hit google its not hard to find out.

One example:

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/11/1005572002/crime-is-the-key-issue-in-new-york-city-mayors-race?t=1623927966205

Stats like this are real:  Shootings are up 77% year to date, including a spate of recent high-profile incidents.

They have had a increase of quite dramatic numbers in all forms of violent crime.

I am not saying the average tourist has to walk around fearing for their lives but the Manhattan has a huge increase in rough sleeper / beggars / pick pockets and its escalating into violent crime. Its big news over there at the moment.  I have friend in NYC.

As I mentioned a lot of this is down to rehousing and the way they've distributed homeless people into hotels throughout the pandemic rather than shelters – it's meant there's way more pressure points for crime and antisocial behaviour in parts of the city that never really had it before. That's combined with the general release of restrictions and built-up tension. I'm not sure it's something that would deeply affect tourists if you knew where to avoid, but it's something that's worth keeping in mind when booking hotels in specific areas.

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I know I got involved in a lot of 'home v office' arguing a few months ago on here....we just had our work office meeting and have been told all of us are to go back in the office full time from start of September unless agreed with a line manager that you need to work from home on specific days of the week. 

No just deciding it at the last minute or anything.

I'm currently going in three days a week anyway so won't make any major difference to me. 

well, they might be about to change the law so that employers would have to prove it is essential before insisting people go back to the workplace.

24 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I only applied this morning hopefully it comes through soon so I can rebook!

I've been to basketball at MSG but that was back in 2000 - think I will do the tour too when I finally go. 🙂 

Same for us - we had to cancel a two-week trip on Amtrak taking in Seattle, Portland and Vancouver in May 2020. At the time, we thought maybe it would be fine by autumn 2020, then May 2021… We finally rebooked with our BA vouchers a couple of weeks ago for May 2022. Hopefully, surely, it'll be OK by then. 

Have been to NY, Phoenix and San Francisco previously but never been to any American sport, the dates have never worked out. Would love to fit one in this time if possible.

Ridiculous considerign their case and vaccination numbers

There are unlikely to be more easings of Covid restrictions this month in Wales because of growing concerns over the Delta variant, the Guardian understands.

The first minister, Mark Drakeford, is due to set out the position at a press conference in Cardiff tomorrow.

But expectations are being played down of changes such as more people being able to meet indoors. The Welsh cabinet met on Wednesday.

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well, they might be about to change the law so that employers would have to prove it is essential before insisting people go back to the workplace.

Interesting idea about changing the law, personally I like the sound of it but sometimes these ideas are floated and never come to fruition so I’ll wait to see if they are serious about it. 

23 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Love Amtrak 🙂  We try not to fly internally in the USA as the trains are so comfortable, affordable and less hassle.  Enjoy when you can redo it.  Would recommend the sleeper trains 🙂

I have been to Giants stadium a few times but sadly not since it has been rebuilt.

I've done an over nighter on Amtrak (Chicago to Montana, then same train a few days later on to Seattle) but couldn't afford a sleeper at the time. But even in a seat was ok. The seats are so big and folded almost flat. Better than trying to do it on a Greyhound bus. That one I don't recommend