When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yup. All in the bin. No distancing and no face nappies 

Genuine question ... face coverings (they’re only “nappies” if you talk shit) are not ideal, particularly on warm days.  But would you rather wear them in enclosed and crowded spaces or have the virus (of whatever variant) continue to spread?  i hate social distancing.  I really, really want to be able to sit in a field with strangers and occasionally connect with them enough to want to hug them.  If wearing a face covering on a crowded train is the cost I have to pay to do that, I’ll get myself a pretty one.  Frankly, I don’t see it as being that different to being at Glastonbury and spending more on a pint of crap lager than I would normally consider reasonable. We all have to make compromises.

• Upvote 1

Just now, mandolin said:

Genuine question ... face coverings (they’re only “nappies” if you talk shit) are not ideal, particularly on warm days.  But would you rather wear them in enclosed and crowded spaces or have the virus (of whatever variant) continue to spread?  i hate social distancing.  I really, really want to be able to sit in a field with strangers and occasionally connect with them enough to want to hug them.  If wearing a face covering on a crowded train is the cost I have to pay to do that, I’ll get myself a pretty one.  Frankly, I don’t see it as being that different to being at Glastonbury and spending more on a pint of crap lager than I would normally consider reasonable. We all have to make compromises.

I'm fine with masks on public transport or supermarkets as an absolute maximum, or if you have a cold. Anything else is bad, but I will take a view if social distancing goes in the bin as it should be

7 minutes ago, Radiochicken said:

Sorry to bother @Toilet Duck but any insight into why the CuraVac mRNA vaccine has had a tough time in Phase 3 compared to the other mRNA vaccines?

Howdy, it’s difficult to compare efficacy unless the vaccines were tested head to head in the same population at the same time as levels of virus and prevalence of variants can impact the results (and it depends on what end point is used for reporting). That said, 47% doesn’t clear the bar for approval, so they may have a tough time. I haven’t seen anything on protection from severe disease (only infections), and it looks like protection in under 60s was better, but similar results sent GSK/Sanofi back to the drawing board. It’s a bit unlucky for Curevac as they were the pioneers of mRNA vaccines, but Pfizer (especially) and Moderna have products that they can’t compete with at the moment (hence many places have already booked in Pfizer only for the next two years). Pfizer’s manufacturing at scale is really what is setting them apart from the others at the moment. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I agree. But we have members of SAGE on TV advocating vague winter restrictions. What do they mean exactly? They are casuing the anxiety. As if social distancing in winter is a minor issue. It isn't.

Sorry, I still don't get it. I know it's not your quote, but do you believe "Leave it much later and you pretty much will need to lockdown until March 2022 " If so, why?

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I wouldn't mind them staying on public transport as I hardly use them and most people don't bother now anyway by all accounts.  They need to go in other settings.  The idea I am going to go to the cinema and wear a mask watching a film is for the birds.

Funny what bothers people- I went back in August with a mask on and it really didn’t bother me in the slightest. Not as if you’re talking or anyone can see you.

It was tricky at the football though (especially when singing); and being required to wear one at a gig would probably be a deal breaker.

Would rather they stayed on transport post 19 July, my train into work pretty universally still wears them. My train home, less so.

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Sorry, I still don't get it. I know it's not your quote, but do you believe "Leave it much later and you pretty much will need to lockdown until March 2022 " If so, why?

@efcfanwirral is more you're man on that

But I do think there is a small element on SAGE and  BIG element on Fake SAGe pushing for this.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Not everyone is comfortable and relax in them.  They cause me anxiety.  I can do 10 to 20 mins but after I need to get them off.  I am probably border line to claim and exemption to be frank but I recognise its the law, they might make a very small difference and I am just choosing to avoid doing things that involve them as much as possible.  So I haven't been to the cinema since March 2020 😞 

Ah that’s shit. If it make you feel any better Tenet wasn’t all that anyway.

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

@efcfanwirral is more you're man on that

But I do think there is a small element on SAGE and  BIG element on Fake SAGe pushing for this.

I don’t think there is, I haven’t really seen anyone mention a lockdown till March 2022; all people want at the moment is the get as many people fully vaccinated as possible as quickly as possible so we can open up with maximum protection. 

18 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The NHS can't seem to cope with much beyond normal, so an exit wave in the normal respiratory virus months + backlog doesn't sound possible to me with their need to isolate people and change wards to just covid even if people in them aren't that ill.

That's my logic with it anyway- obviously I hope I'm wrong!!

16 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

The whole debate around masks has always struck me as being particularly petty.

Once the law around them lifts, don't wear them if you want - but don't chastise other people who feel they need/want to. It's pathetic.

Exactly this - some people will feel safer wearing them and others will completely want rid. If it’s not required by law, let the people do what they like. Either Gove or Hancock said this week that post 19 July it will be up to the people to use them at their own discretion.

Fairly sure this was posted earlier but this video is a sight to behold

8 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Funny what bothers people- I went back in August with a mask on and it really didn’t bother me in the slightest. Not as if you’re talking or anyone can see you.

It was tricky at the football though (especially when singing); and being required to wear one at a gig would probably be a deal breaker.

Would rather they stayed on transport post 19 July, my train into work pretty universally still wears them. My train home, less so.

Outdoors at football in winter at certain stadiums without coverings on the stands would be interesting. Very uncomfortable with wet masks when it rains, plus their effectiveness would be gone for the concourse bit!

What happens to the disposables in the rain? Never really tried to be honest! 

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Are people on here going to an anti lockdown demo? 

The state of those people at anti lockdown protests. It tents to attract the least intelligent, logical and least likeable members of society.

When you have piers Corbyn leading your protest, that says it all....

yeah, well if people want to protest that's fair dos. I agree you get some right plonkers at these anti lockdown ones though, people wearing star of davids...but at same time people have a legitimate right to protest against these restrictions. I imagine if there is a demo planned between now and July 19th it would be a pretty big one.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, well if people want to protest that's fair dos. I agree you get some right plonkers at these anti lockdown ones though, people wearing star of davids...but at same time people have a legitimate right to protest against these restrictions. I imagine if there is a demo planned between now and July 19th it would be a pretty big one.

I've no issues with people's right to protest this final extension, it just seems incredibly dumb at this juncture - almost pointless.

Edited by MrBarry465

21 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

I've no issues with people's right to protest this final extension, it just seems incredibly dumb at this juncture - almost pointless.

I guess many are worried that this isn't the final extension. If numbers aren't too bad, then I think all restrictions will be lifted except maybe masks on public transport and wfh. If numbers are similar to they are now (or worse), then Johnson has a big decision to make.

Edited by steviewevie

7 hours ago, zahidf said:

Well New York and Clalifornia have more freedoms than us. We should have a lot more freedoms now.

You will always find somewhere with more freedoms than us …. What your post doesn’t mention is all the places with less …. That is just 2 states in the US … 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

You will always find somewhere with more freedoms than us …. What your post doesn’t mention is all the places with less …. That is just 2 states in the US … 

He loves to pick and choose to support his arguments / points and typically lacks nuance.

7 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

There is a very realistic alternative.  Trust the vaccines do exactly what they say on the tin.

You can be very cautious and say keep them - just in case.  But for me there has to be a clearer justification and a demonstration they are protecting again something.  They where a poor stop gap until we rolled out the vaccine - the concept we keep them forever as a mandatory thing is a awful concept.  

How did the winter flu go last winter ? Did face coverings help keep cases down ? I know it’s not covid but still impacts on the nhs …. I hate them tbh but if it’s what I have to do going forward then I’ll accept it and not make it some kind of major issue … because hopefully it might be something that helps us get things back more to how they were b4 

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Well done you.  Do you think it was face coverings or the fact we don't yest for flu ?  Social distancing? Etc..

You do you mate.  I fucking hays fbme and want them gone and that's okay 👌

No need for demeaning tones thanks for that … so when we get the flu numbers from a year … it’s not tested then ? They just make it up ?