When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Havors said:

From about the same 50 people? 😄 its a long thread! 

I don’t quite know how the figures are calculated .. and I’d imagine some will be repeat views and bots ? But it’s not an insignificant number .. people will be influenced by what they read on threads like this just like Facebook and Twitter … 

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Quite a journey to lay those scenes at the feet of a poster on here though...  

I do agree on an individual basis with Zadif  … but narratives are created on social media and they become things they do start somewhere … the pagel thing was just one post at one stage on here and look how often she is a topic of conversation and derision for some … 

• Upvote 1

Lukewarm take:  If at least part of your reason for wanting to unlock now is 'the economy', you should be focused on that.  Something we might actually be able to change is to get increased support for those sectors struggling, particularly the music industry which we all love... There are various campaigns doing the rounds, and writing to your MP is very much a thing.  Probably better than yelling at clouds

• Upvote 3

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Pagel throws herself into the public limelight.  She is on BBC / Sky - she was on Indian news the other week...

She is fair game.

Fair game ? Where does someone become fair game and someone not ? Who decides ? What’s the line ? 

2 minutes ago, Ed90 said:

Lukewarm take:  If at least part of your reason for wanting to unlock now is 'the economy', you should be focused on that.  Something we might actually be able to change is to get increased support for those sectors struggling, particularly the music industry which we all love... There are various campaigns doing the rounds, and writing to your MP is very much a thing.  Probably better than yelling at clouds

Very good post to be fair. 

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Pagel throws herself into the public limelight.  She is on BBC / Sky - she was on Indian news the other week...

She is fair game to be talked about.  I wouldn't confront her like that though.

It was made clear he was talking about being naughty and not wearing masks...  not throwing rocks threw a window or at heads.

Ridiculous, just because someone is in the public lime light does not make them fair game.

I got called disgusting earlier, I hope we get treated consistently.

5 minutes ago, Ed90 said:

I agree completely. I'm concerned it's ideological now - unless of course the plan is indeed that they don't open this year and they want to save on furlough by making them go out of business, then rebuilding the industry in the future when it's viable again with corporations at the helm

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Bit quick off the mark for me there 🙂   I edit and expanded the post 😛 

She is fair game to have her views talked about...  to be criticised or supported.

She kind of decided when she created a public twitter account and aired her opinions.  She further decided when she accepted to go on national TV to air her views.

Pretty much like any celeb or well known person … I’m not sure having a public twitter account qualifys anyone as fair game tbh … 

7 minutes ago, Ed90 said:

Do you have a take for those of us who want to open up not for economic reasons but for reasons of mental health and civil liberties? 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Do you have a take for those of us who want to open up not for economic reasons but for reasons of mental health and civil liberties? 

If you are still struggling with mental health issues now, with the way current restrictions are - I would suggest speaking to a professional is more beneficial.

The lifting of the final few restrictions will not help significantly.

1 minute ago, MrBarry465 said:

If you are still struggling with mental health issues now, with the way current restrictions are - I would suggest speaking to a professional is more beneficial.

The lifting of the final few restrictions will not help significantly.

'The final few restrictions' honestly what planet are you on? There are still restrictions on almost all aspects of everyone's lives.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I feel all subsequent takes would be a level below the one above.  Tepid at best. So, that will be my last take for some time.

But on a personal level, and on the mental health note - I feel for you. Much love, hang in there.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Fair game ? Where does someone become fair game and someone not ? Who decides ? What’s the line ? 

Exactly. Basic decency & courtesy shouldn't be dependent on whether someone is in the public eye or not. It's perfectly possible to criticise & refute somebody's words without resorting to personal attacks or insults.

The reality is the vast majority of people on any "side"* of any given argument or issue online are nice, kind and respectful in their everyday lives. Anonymity behind a keyboard brings out the worst and a lot of things are typed that would never be said, or acted on, in real life.

The problem comes from that 0.001% of people who are predisposed to violence, or aggression, or abuse. The language often used online gives them the justification and support to take their behaviour out into the real world and act on it, often with tragic consequences.

IMO we all need to try harder to remember this when we're throwing insults around on forums, or social media. 

* I really hate that people fall so easily into opposing camps. I know it's just human nature and wanting to be part of a group, but we'd make so much more progress if we could accept that not everything has to be rivalry.

Edited by jimmillen
  • Upvote 1

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

'The final few restrictions' honestly what planet are you on? There are still restrictions on almost all aspects of everyone's lives.

Of course they are, I'm just saying the final few restrictions on my day to day life are not impacting my mental health at the moment and if they are then I would suggest speaking to someone.

• Downvote 1

Just now, Barry Fish said:

The guy is a fruit loop.  And now he is belittling mental health issues.

I sadly hear about kids who are self harming on a daily basis due to the consequences of lockdowns and restrictions.

At what point did I belittle mental health issues?

I literally just suggested speaking to someone for fucks sake....