When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Ed90 said:

Long time lurker, first time poster (in this thread).  Didn't quite expect this thread to develop into something as virulent and divisive as Twitter, but here we are.  

A lot of posts here suggesting people aren't looking at the data, or interpreting it correctly.  I would suggest following someone like @JamesWard73 on Twitter to understand WHY we're extending 4 weeks.  As with Frank Turner above, I'm really really struggling with this, and feel like Feb 2021 and RIGHT NOW are my lowest points of the pandemic.  It affects my work, my relationship and my mental health.  But even with that, I think that a slight delay will help with the 'exit wave' and prevent the NHS being overwhelmed, or at least (in 2 weeks) allow us to get a fuller picture of the data and see that that scenario may not be borne out and we can unlock then.  We're basically weighing lives against business/mental health/incomes etc, and that is fucking hard enough even with a full picture of the data.  I also hate the shit out of the Tories and Johnson, BUT I'm almost certain half of the people calling for unlocking now were also the ones criticising the Tories for unlocking to early last time and not paying heed to the Kent variant.  You can kind of understand their caution, surely?  The fact that hospitalisations aren't tailing off in the NW and the fact that young people are being hospitalised (coupled with the spectre of long covid), suggests opening up nightclubs right now MIGHT not be the best idea.  But, I don't know, and I really really want to get back to normal, and I think there is a possibility that deaths may stay in the 10-20 per day range, which is probably broadly acceptable?  But...nuance and uncertainty isn't fashionable.  So, let the abuse commence...

Fantastic post. It's pretty horrible in here lately, really looking forward to that shit ending along with everything else.

And before anybody says I'm just looking for an echo chamber, I really don't mind reading a range of views at all. This thread has always been that. What grates now is the constant bickering, slagging and childish back and forth that we have to trudge through every day to get to the decent and interesting stuff.

I know I could stop reading it and really probably should! Thanks for your post, though, really agree with much of what you've said.

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The problem with your moronic line of thought though is 1% won't require hospital treatment as the numbers turning up at A&E and are way way way below 1%.

You literally have no clue on the real dangers,

Actually hospitalisations are in the 5% sort of ballpark right now. https://twitter.com/analytic_footy/status/1403379480018755590/photo/1

6 minutes ago, Ed90 said:

Long time lurker, first time poster (in this thread).  Didn't quite expect this thread to develop into something as virulent and divisive as Twitter, but here we are.  

A lot of posts here suggesting people aren't looking at the data, or interpreting it correctly.  I would suggest following someone like @JamesWard73 on Twitter to understand WHY we're extending 4 weeks.  As with Frank Turner above, I'm really really struggling with this, and feel like Feb 2021 and RIGHT NOW are my lowest points of the pandemic.  It affects my work, my relationship and my mental health.  But even with that, I think that a slight delay will help with the 'exit wave' and prevent the NHS being overwhelmed, or at least (in 2 weeks) allow us to get a fuller picture of the data and see that that scenario may not be borne out and we can unlock then.  We're basically weighing lives against business/mental health/incomes etc, and that is fucking hard enough even with a full picture of the data.  I also hate the shit out of the Tories and Johnson, BUT I'm almost certain half of the people calling for unlocking now were also the ones criticising the Tories for unlocking to early last time and not paying heed to the Kent variant.  You can kind of understand their caution, surely?  The fact that hospitalisations aren't tailing off in the NW and the fact that young people are being hospitalised (coupled with the spectre of long covid), suggests opening up nightclubs right now MIGHT not be the best idea.  But, I don't know, and I really really want to get back to normal, and I think there is a possibility that deaths may stay in the 10-20 per day range, which is probably broadly acceptable?  But...nuance and uncertainty isn't fashionable.  So, let the abuse commence...

Out of upvotes, but great first post. Let's have more moderation and common sense by all means! 🙂

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

That is overall not in the "young" under 30s.

People under 40 are the ones making up the bulk of the hospital admissions currently. Which is, not surprisingly, the group who are least vaccinated.

Edited by MrBarry465

This is from today`s interview with Austrian expert Eva Schernhammer about the future of covid. She also talks about Delta and the UK, so I thought that this part of the interview might be interesting.

STANDARD: How threatening is the Delta virus variant that originated in India? Great Britain has a rapidly increasing incidence, and that with a high vaccination rate. British tourists are allowed to vacation in Spain without corona tests ... In the meantime, eight Delta cases have also been confirmed in Lower Austria. What does this mean for the travel season?

Schernhammer: We know that the vaccinations against the Delta variant are just as effective in the sense that they still prevent the infections to a very large extent, but above all they prevent serious disease courses. However, and this is the new thing about this variant, only when full vaccination protection has occurred. With the alpha variant, the British one, it was said that three weeks after the first vaccination one was already protected. This may not be the case now if the delta variant continues to expand. This means that in Austria, people who travel in particular should be asked to have a full vaccination including a second dose behind them and be aware that they will only have maximum protection two weeks afterwards.

The delta variant seems to have prevailed precisely because of this vaccination gap. That was already feared when Great Britain began to spread the two Astra Zeneca vaccinations very far apart, with twelve weeks between the first and second puncture. On the one hand you could give more people the first vaccination, on the other hand you give the virus three months to adapt. This is exactly what you can see now with the Indian variant. One study found that about two-thirds of those who contracted it in England hadn't been vaccinated, and another 20 percent stood between the first and second vaccinations. So the first vaccination gives too little protection. And around five percent were infected with the Delta variant - despite a complete vaccination.

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You actually got any real numbers on that ?  Or just sound bites from the likes of Pagel ? 

If you think 4 to 5% or even 1% of all under 30s/40s are going to turn up at A&E your in the land of bullshit.

There is plenty of anecodotal evidence aroiund highlighting the fact that everyone being admitted to hospital has either had 1 jab or none.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/significiant-numbers-30-40-year-20695631

11 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Its such a shit song, I absolutely loath it.

Oh I love how jolly and fun you are 😄😄 

Its a terrible song but its still fun, and harks back to a period were England "fans" weren't 90% racist hooligans 😄 

40 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I think most people will be fine holding off on all that for 4 weeks to give more people chance to get vaccinated, which one of those are the people virulently opposed to this so upset about? Or is it more the principle for them?

That screenshot conveniently ignores the worst restriction of the lot which is the continuation of the rule of 6. Thankfully me and most of my friends understand that it is not the business of the government who we invite into our private homes and restrictions on such a gross infringement on civil liberties. 

1 minute ago, MrBarry465 said:

There is plenty of anecodotal evidence aroiund highlighting the fact that everyone being admitted to hospital has either had 1 jab or none.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/significiant-numbers-30-40-year-20695631

There is also anecdotal evidence those people didnt really need hospital but just have the fear of god in them that they will die. A lot were getting sent home swiftly. 

Nothing has changed in regard to the lethality to under 40's. Not yet I may add... im not saying things couldnt change.

1 minute ago, Havors said:

Oh I love how jolly and fun you are 😄😄 

Its a terrible song but its still fun, and harks back to a period were England "fans" weren't 90% racist hooligans 😄 

I just loath a lot of the idiots who sing it nonstop.

Was walking through Bristol Harbourside and idiot 20 year old lads come up to you singing it.

Give me New Order and stick your coming home up the clacka....haha

A four week extension directly affects the business at my work Cineworld. Big films like fast n furious 9 and black widow were scheduled to come out after June 21st so they could have full capacity. Now we can only sell 50 percent tickets to two of the biggest films of the year. And staff will get less hours 

3 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

I just loath a lot of the idiots who sing it nonstop.

Was walking through Bristol Harbourside and idiot 20 year old lads come up to you singing it.

Give me New Order and stick your coming home up the clacka....haha

Ah see i agree with you there... the New Order song was much better haha! 

I dont mind the 20 year olds singing and enjoying it... as long as they dont end up like those morons with beer bellies out covered in bulldog tattoos booing players taking a knee against racism. 

Just now, Havors said:

Ah see i agree with you there... the New Order song was much better haha! 

I dont mind the 20 year olds singing and enjoying it... as long as they dont end up like those morons with beer bellies out covered in bulldog tattoos booing players taking a knee against racism. 

Its just annoying, they all have bucket hats on and all look vaguely similar.

Thought I was on an LSD trip where the same bloke keeps coming up to me.

Maybe I'm just old and cynical haha

58 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Honestly, I really doubt it pal.

Despite what you think, there isn't going to be riots in the streets because night club openings are being pushed back a few weeks. I was with a group of friends in the park yesterday who I would say fall into the 'have very loosely followed restrcictions for the most part' and not one of them took issue with the lockdown restrictions being pushed back.

I really think a few of you are underestimating how complient a lot of people are.

Same with my mates … 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Oh I hope they don't.  It wouldn't be as good.  Time and moment stuff I would say.

It wouldn't be the same format, but a show would be a good idea FF is huge... bit like soccer AM, but even thats gone shit.