When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

I was convinced he was dead because they had the drapes around him as they took in off the pitch and there didn’t appear to be anyone working on him any more. 

Unbelievably good news that he’s alive. 

Same.

What a fucking player by the way! Not that it should matter, but you can't help feeling more shocked when it's someone you've watched and admired for years (and I'm no Tottenham fan either).

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/06/12/curtain-poised-rise-state-rescue-theatres/

Looks like it might not be Curtains for the entertainment industry.

Knowing Boris he will allow theaters/operas to open to pacify all his toff friends... but leave night clubs, pubs and the such to go down the swanny. 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

To think the foos are playing actual gigs next week in the US and we are delaying our lockdown by a month because we are averaging about 20 deaths a day.

I think The Strokes are playing one this weekend?

Guessing the Johnson Variant hasn’t taken hold in the US.

5 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I think The Strokes are playing one this weekend?

Guessing the Johnson Variant hasn’t taken hold in the US.

Averaging about 20,000 cases a day and 400/500 deaths a day and life is starting to return to normality :) 

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Links back to what I said earlier. My heart weeps for how terrified some people are and what damage this has done to people.

60% large outdoor events? Festivals who push on are mental - if this is public option they shouldn't spend a pound more and just release their statements on Tuesday. With a populist government that sort of poll means there's no chance this year 

Edited by efcfanwirral

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

My friend in Singapore just sent me a video of his little boy playing golf for the first time on an actual course.  Just them, grass and a lot of fresh air.  Poor little thing had a mask on.  Madness...  Its not just our country that has totally lost the plot. 

Historic British connections though...

I think a lot of people are generally keen on restrictions as long as it doesn’t affect them. Reminds me of during an earlier lockdown, there was a poll where something like 85% of people would follow restrictions perfectly, but nearly 60% of people felt others wouldn’t 

12 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Its exactly this...

I mentioned my daughters primary school leaving party.  Its huge for her but tiny in the grand scheme.  So people say she has to miss out on it.  Easy for them - devastating for her.  She obviously isn't the only one.

I think a lot about the kids when it comes to the rules.  They have missed the most I would say and people keep saying they will get over it.  My daughter has missed her 10th Birthday party, 11th Birthday party, school leaving party (now), school residential, sports days, school plays and more.

These are the bedrock of any childhood memories - all toast. 

The worse some people had was a 6 month paid holiday on furlough.  

Its not hurting everyone the same way.

You OK hun? 

44 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Its exactly this...

I mentioned my daughters primary school leaving party.  Its huge for her but tiny in the grand scheme.  So people say she has to miss out on it.  Easy for them - devastating for her.  She obviously isn't the only one.

I think a lot about the kids when it comes to the rules.  They have missed the most I would say and people keep saying they will get over it.  My daughter has missed her 10th Birthday party, 11th Birthday party, school leaving party (now), school residential, sports days, school plays and more.

These are the bedrock of any childhood memories - all toast. 

The worse some people had was a 6 month paid holiday on furlough.  

Its not hurting everyone the same way.

I know we've had our differences, but this message is sent in peace, honest:

Couldn't you parents get together and organise some sort of leaving party, independent of the school? Some sort of barbecue/disco in someone's back garden or something? Obviously not the whole school year, but just her best mates. It's obviously not the same, but better than nothing, right?

You're right, it hasn't affected everyone the same - I really feel for the kids especially. Luckily, my daughter is an adult. I hate to think how it would have affected her when she was a kid.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Thanks for the kind words.  

We have mitigated things at every point.  Its equally affecting her younger sister so we replaced their birthday parties with a joint over night stay in Blackpool and a visit to the Pleasure Beach when things reopened later in the year.  We will of course as a group of parents do what we can to get the class together but if we have the rule of 30 in place then that is the issue.  The class has a bout 26 kids in it and then you need parents...  bit of a challenge...  We will see what we can work out but I think we might be snookered on the end of school thing if restrictions go beyond a certain point.

I can take pretty much anything that is thrown at me but it floors me when it robs the kids.  Not just my kids - all the kids.  They are seriously missing out.

My wife is a teacher and there is a lot of bad going on with the kids.  Things aren't okay and some parents are a little in denial about just how bad things are - specially in our secondary schools.  Thankfully a lot of kids will open up to a trusted teacher.  Leaves my wife carrying a lot of emotional baggage mind but gives her a chance to intervene. 

Kids have missed out so much because of this 'shit'. In some ways it's worse that they don't know what they have missed out on. I have one in 1st year of uni (no freshers week for her) and another turned 18 in lock down (pubs, what pubs). Trivial stuff to many but... 

Apologies for the 'OK hun' stuff earlier but you can be a bit of a dick at times 😋

Edited by HalfAnIdiot
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Thanks for the kind words.  

We have mitigated things at every point.  Its equally affecting her younger sister so we replaced their birthday parties with a joint over night stay in Blackpool and a visit to the Pleasure Beach when things reopened later in the year.  We will of course as a group of parents do what we can to get the class together but if we have the rule of 30 in place then that is the issue.  The class has a bout 26 kids in it and then you need parents...  bit of a challenge...  We will see what we can work out but I think we might be snookered on the end of school thing if restrictions go beyond a certain point.

I can take pretty much anything that is thrown at me but it floors me when it robs the kids.  Not just my kids - all the kids.  They are seriously missing out.

My wife is a teacher and there is a lot of bad going on with the kids.  Things aren't okay and some parents are a little in denial about just how bad things are - specially in our secondary schools.  Thankfully a lot of kids will open up to a trusted teacher.  Leaves my wife carrying a lot of emotional baggage mind but gives her a chance to intervene. 

Fair play, hope you can sort something that makes her happy.

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I thought the Ok hun stuff was funny lol.

The uni kids have had a shit.  They where some of the best days of my life and to think of how the uni kids have been robbed of some much it isn't good.  My cousin just finished his first year - he actually said it was alright and I thought - you have no idea how much better it could of been lol 🙂 

My friends daughter finished Uni in 2020 with a first.  She is currently working in a chippy with zero job opportunities.  So sad for her.  In good news she is now apply to start teacher training for 2021 in take so hopefully that will kick start her career all be it a different path.

I think we all need to understand that a "few more weeks" for some can be utterly devastating consequences and that's why reopening matters - while also accepting that you can't just let the NHS get destroyed by a rampant virus.

I need a beer 🙂 

4 more weeks is hurting, but if that's what it has to be then I accept it. 

Fun just seems to have stopped, and fun is important. Not so much for, I've had loads in my time, but for kids, yeah. 

Enjoy your beer. 

Edited by HalfAnIdiot